Duck dog

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
Looking at another duck dog. Currently have an 8 year old english cocker. He is a great dog, and does real good with bringing back ducks and geese. My only issue with him is i wish he was a little bigger and a faster swimmer. He swims the same speed as a mallard, which is not good if the cripple mallard is swimming away from him. Does anyone have any experience with the american water spaniel? There a little bigger and known waterfowl dogs from my research. What is their temperment like? This would also be a family dog so it has to work well with kids, but is going to be spending many days in the blind. Anyone know any local breeders? Seems like most are out of state. Pms welcome.

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
Check on refuge forum in your state. I would say labs seem to be everywhere. One of the most popular breeds of dogs.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
IMHO there is nothing to compare with a Lab. I've owned a great Springer Spaniel that was an outstanding upland game dog, but for waterfowl, the Lab is supreme. They are also a wonderful family dog. I do know a breeder near Colorado Springs who has great bloodlines and great dogs. His pups are $1,500 when one of my hunting buddies from California bought one a couple of years ago. PM me if you are interested and I'll get the information for you.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
IMHO there is nothing to compare with a Lab. I've owned a great Springer Spaniel that was an outstanding upland game dog, but for waterfowl, the Lab is supreme. They are also a wonderful family dog. I do know a breeder near Colorado Springs who has great bloodlines and great dogs. His pups are $1,500 when one of my hunting buddies from California bought one a couple of years ago. PM me if you are interested and I'll get the information for you.
I ain't never seen a dog I would give $1500 for . or even $1 for that matter but to each their own.
it's not that I hate dogs just have no use for MOST pet people.

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
A great lab can be found almost anywhere. You don't need to spend crazy amounts of money on them,but if you do it can help with avoiding health issues sometimes. Our best two dogs weren't even pure bred dogs. Our current dog is 3/4 black lab and 1/4 chessie. She the best dog I've ever trained and paid only 250 for her.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ok I'm gonna go the opposite way on this one. I'm spending money and getting the right tool for the job. I want a dog that has good breeding and medical history.

The older you get the more you tend to hunt alone due to many reasons. Having a rock star hunting partner in a waterfowl dog opens up every possible kind of hunting you can find. Add in one that could upland hunt also and boom. Many are great family dogs.

Labrador Retriever, Chesapeake Bay Lab on the bigger side GSP in the middle to big category and Boykin spaniel in the middle to smaller category. Size reference used as a generalization. If I'm living in the heart of the central flyway ( and hunting a lot) then those are the breeds I'm looking at. Leaning more to the bigger dogs if I goose hunt a lot.

If you have the time get a puppy. I personally would not as I want a professional training it.
Started dog is a nice in between. Has a solid base that even an average outdoorsman can continue to train with a little education.
Finished waterfowl dog is the lifted F-350, powerful, shiny and gets all the girls at the honky tonk.

Hunt Trap / If you already know all that then forgive me :) I really get excited about a good waterfowl dog. Link below that may help with research.
Al the best.

Last edited:

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
Ok I'm gonna go the opposite way on this one. I'm spending money and getting the right tool for the job. I want a dog that has good breeding and medical history.

The older you get the more you tend to hunt alone due to many reasons. Having a rock star hunting partner in a waterfowl dog opens up every possible kind of hunting you can find. Add in one that could upland hunt also and boom. Many are great family dogs.

Labrador Retriever, Chesapeake Bay Lab on the bigger side GSP in the middle to big category and Boykin spaniel in the middle to smaller category. Size reference used as a generalization. If I'm living in the heart of the central flyway ( and hunting a lot) then those are the breeds I'm looking at. Leaning more to the bigger dogs if I goose hunt a lot.

If you have the time get a puppy. I personally would not as I want a professional training it.
Started dog is a nice in between. Has a solid base that even an average outdoorsman can continue to train with a little education.
Finished waterfowl dog is the lifted F-350, powerful, shiny and gets all the girls at the honky tonk.

Cackler / If you already know all that then forgive me :) I really get excited about a good waterfowl dog. Link below that may help with research.
Al the best.

I would add this if you have the time to train your own dog like me it can be a lot of fun and a great bonding experience for you and the dog. If you get a finished dog or have it train remember you also will have to be trained in how to run your dog. I spend 15 to 25 minutes almost every day work my dog. It's like anything else. You get out what you put in.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011

Cackler / If you already know all that then forgive me :) I really get excited about a good waterfowl dog. Link below that may help with research.
Al the best.

Chris Akin has a three video set on train that is simply and outstanding on training.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
We have GSPs. My wife breeds and trains them. Before I met her, I wouldn’t even have considered them for waterfowl, boy was I surprised! They are fast swimmers. We can’t keep them out of the water. They are also great family dogs and awesome with the kids. We had to put our oldest to sleep last spring (another 2020 moment) at 11 from cancer. Our other dog is her puppy and is 7. We’ll prolly get another puppy next year. 14D02D37-FA71-4F35-BA73-4D9A6419C3DE.jpeg67996766-4731-4552-A38F-517368A9AE37.jpeg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have been training my own dogs for 40 years. It is really not that difficult, but you have to have the time to do it. It is really better to train your own dog, as the dog has only one real "boss" and that is you. If you have the dog professionally trained, both you and the dog have to be trained....like previously mentioned.

Years ago one of my hunting buddies spent a ton of money on a GSP from Germany. He had the dog imported and lo and behold, he had to learn German as the dog did not understand English. It was difficult for a years or so.

Reactions: cacklercrazy

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
One cautionary point, I think GSP is a great breed but I have a friend with one and it's basically a small horse. You need to be pretty fit and energetic yourself to keep up with him just to run him :)

I'm in the Lab camp myself, just not yet ready to handle the commitment. (Working 2 jobs.)

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
I 100 percent agree with labs. I had a lab growing up and he was a stud, but given my situation and this dog is going to be in the house a lab is out of the question.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.

Hunt Trap / If you already know all that then forgive me :) I really get excited about a good waterfowl dog. Link below that may help with research.
Al the best.

Well said! I bought a failed field trial dog, she turned out the best partner I’ve ever had!

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
One cautionary point, I think GSP is a great breed but I have a friend with one and it's basically a small horse. You need to be pretty fit and energetic yourself to keep up with him just to run him :)

I'm in the Lab camp myself, just not yet ready to handle the commitment. (Working 2 jobs.)
I will always say this look at what you hunt the most. Look at your living life style. How much time you have to spend with the dog. Pointers need and like a lot of exercise everyday. Lab do too ,but are just as happy to have a tennis ball to chase around in the house. If you hunt ducks and geese more than upland birds than a retriever is the way to go. Someone said labs for geese. I do agree with this point. I've seen geese turn on dogs and ruin dogs. Also add a 10 to 12 lb birds to the mix and swift water in a river you better have a hearty dog to handle that.