Draw Process Working Group Recommendations on Primary Draw Methods & Preference Points

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
CPW Commissioner’s Meeting, March 14, 2024

Draw Process Working Group Recommendations on Primary Draw Methods & Preference Points

This meeting took place today and below are my notes on the key items discussed.​

================================================================================

The Working Group considered these options:

• Random Draw (similar to how Desert Sheep is done)
  • Preference Draw (similar to how Derr, Elk are done)
  • Bonus Point Draw (Similar to Weighted Draw for Bighorn, Goat, Moose)
  • Split Draw / Hybrid Draw: 1st Preference Draw then Random Draw (Like Hybrid Draw)
  • Split Draw / Hybrid Draw: 1st Preference Draw then Bonus Draw (Currently Not Used)
Preliminary Recommendations (These are only Preliminary Recommendations, NOT decisions.)

1) ** For Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Bear: Recommend changing from a pure Preference Point system to a Split Preference Draw & Bonus Draw (50/50 Split) for Deer, Elk, Bear, Pronghorn. (i.e. The first 50% of the tags would be a Preference Point Draw followed by a Bonus Draw for the remaining 50%.)

Note: Trophy Species (Sheep, Goat, Moose) will be discussed at next meeting.

Note: Secondary Draw still being discussed.

2) Allocation: 75/25 split for ALL Deer, Elk, Bear, Pronghorn (eliminates the High Demand 80/20 that was recently approved and not even implemented yet).

3) Youth Preference: Status Quo, 2nd Draw 100% Youth Preference.

4) Preference Points Options
A) **Use Points for ALL List A Licenses (All 4 Primary Choices would use & gain Points)
Eliminate the PP hunt Code; applicants must choose if they want PP only (can’t include other hunt choices) OR apply for a hunt code/license.
B) Use Points in the Secondary Draw.
Group Agreed NOT to do this.
C) Increase Cost of Points for ALL Species.
Group did NOT support this.

5) Point Banking: Use only the number of preference points needed to draw a particular license, Bank the rest of your points.
Group did NOT recommend this.

6) Group Averaging: Using an average of all group member’s preference points.
Group did NOT recommend this, concerned it would create a Market for Preference Points.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One way that they could slow point creep would be to have the applicant loose their points if they draw a tag on any of their choices.

I think that if they went to a 50/50 point draw that it would just speed up point creep.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
That’s exactly what the recommended choice (4A) is on how to use preferences points.
All Primary Choices (All 4 choices) would use points. Not just the 1st choice like it is now.

The 50/50 split is another recommendation on how to conduct the draw.

They are both recommended.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That’s exactly what the recommended choice (4A) is on how to use preferences points.
All Primary Choices (All 4 choices) would use points. Not just the 1st choice like it is now.

The 50/50 split is another recommendation on how to conduct the draw.

They are both recommended.
I am totally against using point for anything other than 1st choice. If I was young, it would make a difference. I still use my first choice for points building points for future draws. I use second and sometimes third choice for alternate choices. I still know a few areas that i can draw as 2nd and even sometimes 3rd. As old as I am (82), I don't have many years to waste.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I am totally against using point for anything other than 1st choice. If I was young, it would make a difference. I still use my first choice for points building points for future draws. I use second and sometimes third choice for alternate choices. I still know a few areas that i can draw as 2nd and even sometimes 3rd. As old as I am (82), I don't have many years to waste.
I know CC.
So do I, but that’s what they want to stop to reduce point creep.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With a few more appointments to the Parks and Wildlife board like who just got confirmed we won't have to worry about hunting.

Of the three that were nominated only two were confirmed. John Murphy and Jessica Beaulieu were confirmed and Gary Skiba was denied.