Dog issue

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
I find this a bit frustrating. Getting a lab puppy, and relegating it to a kennel so small that it gets its own poop/pee on it, for 14+ hours a day is pretty rough.
I think there's a huge difference between spending 8 hours a day lounging in the house, vs 8 hours in a tiny kennel. Does he at least have room to stand up and stretch?
From the research that i have done and from the breeder and from my vet it was reccomended that the puppy be put in a kennel that is big enough for him to stand up in and turn around while gone at work and at night. I was told it makes them feel like it is their den, and they usually dont soil the kennel. He didnt for the first few weeks.
He is in one of two kennels. A smaller one and a bigger one that is 4x4. When in the smaller one he got covered in poop after being in it for 6 hrs over night. I havent used that one much because i do not like that result.
For the last couple days ive been feeding him in the kennel during his feedings. Ive left his bowl in there while he has been kenneled as well because i think he wouldnt want to soil where he eats. Ive gotten good results from this yesterday and last night.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I used to just leave the door open to Abby's crate and she would just go in there to nap when she got tired.

Same now with her outdoor kennel. Just leave the gate open and usually find her lounging on the sundeck.

• Haha
Reactions: mallardsx2

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
Nice kennel. Once mine is kennel trained i will move him to the entry way for nights and days until he is old enough to be trusted all day outside by himself. Not going to give a puppy run of the place when he is not 100% car trained yet. UPS man runs him over id be irritated at myself for putting him in that situation.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
So people that have full time jobs should not have dogs? My english cocker spends about 8 hours a day in my house sleeping on the couch, my house is a large kennel i suppose. I guess thats dog abuse.
My dogs are 3 1/2 and 5 years old. They are lab mixes, and live in the house. Everyone in our family works full time or has school. Without exception, one of us comes home at noon to feed them and let them out. When the weather is nice, I’ll take them to work with me if I’m not in town. If you can’t do that, consider a wireless fence and a doghouse

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
My dogs are 3 1/2 and 5 years old. They are lab mixes, and live in the house. Everyone in our family works full time or has school. Without exception, one of us comes home at noon to feed them and let them out. When the weather is nice, I’ll take them to work with me if I’m not in town. If you can’t do that, consider a wireless fence and a doghouse
Once mine is kennel trained i will move him to the entry way for nights and days until he is old enough to be trusted all day outside by himself. Not going to give a puppy run of the place when he is not 100% car trained yet. UPS man runs him over id be irritated at myself for putting him in that situation.
Im glad your job allows for that, mine doesnt. Ive got a wireless collar, and he respects it.