Dog issue

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
I posted here earlier i was getting a new hunting dog. I was looking at some smaller breeds but some thing changed and i got a lab. He is currently 3 months old. The issue is, he pees and craps the kennel everyday im at work (8hrs) and every night sleep (6hrs). Ive tried small kennels and he poops and he gets covered in it. Ive switch dog foods and i get same results. Anyone have any suggestions????? Thanks

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
-Let the dog outside more. Run him more. Lab pups need a LOT of outside time.
-Get him on a good feed schedule and let him outside after you feed him.

8 Hours is a long time for a Lab to be in a little kennel.....
That would be like putting you inside a kennel for 2.5 days.....

To be frank, if you bought a lab pup thinking that letting him outside 1 hour a day is going to cut it, you got the wrong breed.

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
You would be better suited to have a kennel with space(wire enclosure) in the garage or outside while your at work. A bark collar will probably be needed at some point as well. When your home use the porta kennel to potty train, so when he whines you take him outside to do his thing, then socialize him and put him back in. If you want the dog to be a inside the house dog a doggie door will also be needed after you potty train him.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
What is unusual is that the pup doing his duty in his own space. They usually won't do that. I'll add the other suggestions are spot on too. Puppies need attention and lots of guidance.

Hope all this advice helps. House training takes time and patience.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have a nine week old lab pup (pictures on another thread). I have a fenced in backyard, a dog door and three older dogs. The pup learned to use the dog door in about three days by watching the older dogs. Now he likes to run in the yard all the time ... “running with the big dogs” so to speak. They wear him out and he does his business outside.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
To be honest if you can't implement the above suggestions, you need to rehome the dog. Expecting any dog and especially a puppy to live in a kennel/ crate all day while you are at work is bordering on abuse. An outdoor kennel/run at least and even then a couple of hours of running, playing or walking every day are a must. Labs are high maintenance when it comes to exercise. Good luck with you're pup.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yeah, my lab pup has free access via the dog door to play in the backyard, our three big dogs to run around with, and I take them all on several walks thru the wood during the day. At the end of the day the big dogs are worn out, I’m tired, and the lab pup is still going strong. Lab pups have tons of energy and need an outlet for it.

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
What has me me puzzled is he didnt pee or poop the kennel for the first 3 weeks. Then after we swithched puppy food slowly, thats when he started. Reason for the switch is because we ran out of food the breeder gave us and we switched to something he reccomended. His poop is solid and not diarriah. The dog is running outside and playing with my 8 year old cocker spaniel, my kids, and myself when not kenneled. He is training really well. Has sit, stay, come, fetch all figured out. I live in the country so no need of fence, and he knows the bounderies. Maybe a dog run would be a good idea, but want him crate trained for trips. Thanks for the tips and ideas.

Reactions: THelms

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
If you live in the country then get a no fence buried line and a collar that only allows him to go to the boundary.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I live in the country also, on 46 acres. Can't see the road or any neighbors from my house. All the dogs I've ever had would get out and run the roads if I didn't keep them penned though, sometimes for miles.

In a lot of places, free-ranging dogs don't last very long.

For me, the best solution is a fence that comes off of the back of the house. Ours is probably about 20x40. When we're all gone, the dogs are in the pen. When we're home, they are with us in the house or out on the property. At night, we put them in crates on an enclosed porch.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
ive had and bred labs for many years now,,id suggest a outdoor or garage kennel 5x10 is what i use,,then just the smaller indoor kennel for shorter amounts of time,,though ive got 5 dogs and do kennel them somtimes for 8 hrs ,,that is a long time for them to hold it,,also posibly try a different type of dog food,,i dont feed the fancy stuff,,just plain old purina 50 lb bags is what i use with no issues

Reactions: THelms and hunttrap

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I find this a bit frustrating. Getting a lab puppy, and relegating it to a kennel so small that it gets its own poop/pee on it, for 14+ hours a day is pretty rough.
I think there's a huge difference between spending 8 hours a day lounging in the house, vs 8 hours in a tiny kennel. Does he at least have room to stand up and stretch?

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I tried some "better" food for my lab and it just gave her the squirts. So I went back to the cheap stuff from Tractor Supply. My lab won't even poop or pee in the outdoor run 10' x 30'. It is on rock and dirt. I have left her in it for up to 8 hrs. The rest of the time she has the run of the property (7 acres) Nearest neighbor about 1/4 mile away. I live on a dirt road that dead ends past me. She sleeps in the house on a dog bed in our room. Occasionally, she has to go out at night and I have to take her out as she has been chased home a couple of times by a bear or wolf. She was housebroke from the day I got her at 10 weeks. And was the easiest lab I've owned.
I guess if your dog had the option of going to the can somewhere else he probably would. I don't think it's the length of time as much ach the lack of space. I did have a pup that I didn't trust loose at night in the house. But that was because of chewing stuff up. I had a dog door installed so I placed the wire crate up against the dog door with the back open so he could go out to the yard and come back into the crate.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I feed my Lab Purina HiPro salmon/tuna flavor. I only feed it dry, good for her teeth & tarter buildup. I absolutely won't feed a dog anything that'[s not at least 30% protein. I also feed twice a day measured. 2 cups in the morning, 2 afternoon. No table scraps. When she gets a little lean from work, I up the food by 25%.

Reactions: hunttrap