Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No, it's a great trophy elk state

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
I agree with CrimsonArrow. It's a great opportunity to go to Co and buy an OTC tag and give it a try, way better than sitting at home and reading everybody else's stories about hunting them. I've had plenty of expensive "hiking trips" to Co with bow and OTC tag in hand, but I keep going because sometimes it works out.

miktwalker

Nov 6, 2012
I have tried hunting elk in CO since 1998. I am a resident and a native and have tried to connect with them "way up high", low and everywhere in between. I've still hunted the steep black north face of prime bedding areas, sat off of feeding areas, sat off of open space between cover breaks, been on fully guided archery and rifle hunts, drop camp hunts in wilderness areas and have hunted in units 75, 751, 851, 371, 18, 181 and 5 years now in 54. I am in exellent shape, use all kinds of scent clothing and scent spray, watch the wind and weather carefully. Do you know what I have to show for all my hard work and patience? A gigantic steaming pile of JACK SQUAT! So after wrapping my .06 around the nearest tree at the end of this years hunt, I'm completely done hunting elk in CO. However, I cant wait for the chance to run some over with my truck!

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
I have tried hunting elk in CO since 1998. I am a resident and a native and have tried to connect with them "way up high", low and everywhere in between. I've still hunted the steep black north face of prime bedding areas, sat off of feeding areas, sat off of open space between cover breaks, been on fully guided archery and rifle hunts, drop camp hunts in wilderness areas and have hunted in units 75, 751, 851, 371, 18, 181 and 5 years now in 54. I am in exellent shape, use all kinds of scent clothing and scent spray, watch the wind and weather carefully. Do you know what I have to show for all my hard work and patience? A gigantic steaming pile of JACK SQUAT! So after wrapping my .06 around the nearest tree at the end of this years hunt, I'm completely done hunting elk in CO. However, I cant wait for the chance to run some over with my truck!
I wouldn't waste any money on lotto tickets if I were you.

miktwalker

Nov 6, 2012
I wouldn't waste any money on lotto tickets if I were you.
No $hit thats my point exactally. All this nonsense about all this planning, scouting, scent products, equipment, playing the wind (which naturally always seems to change direction 360 degrees and speed every 15 minutes) is all bull$hit. Elk hunting is 100% pure luck of being in the right place at the right time. I must have a 100% reverse Midas touch. Instead of turning to gold, everyting I touch or plan turns to $hit.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
As they say....Thats why its called hunting instead of killing. Just keep plugging away. You talk like you didn't have fun. Just being out with my hunting friends is reward enough.

miktwalker

Nov 6, 2012
As they say....Thats why its called hunting instead of killing. Just keep plugging away. You talk like you didn't have fun. Just being out with my hunting friends is reward enough.
Yea I guess your right, I should think that strapping 50 + lbs of stuff on my back and blowing my nut sack off hiking all over hells half acre searching for an an elk for the last 14 years is called fun. I call it annual "take a rifle or bow, or better yet both, hiking for a week" week. There are far too may hunters for too little elk in this state. I am done with this BS.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Yea I guess your right, I should think that strapping 50 + lbs of stuff on my back and blowing my nut sack off hiking all over hells half acre searching for an an elk for the last 14 years is called fun. I call it annual "take a rifle or bow, or better yet both, hiking for a week" week. There are far too may hunters for too little elk in this state. I am done with this BS.
Wow, I guess in 14 years of elk hunting you must have acquired some equipment, So what do you have for sale? pm me.

miktwalker

Nov 6, 2012
Wow, I guess in 14 years of elk hunting you must have acquired some equipment, So what do you have for sale? pm me.
I dont know how to PM but, most of it is sitting next to my smashed rifle and scope in unit 54. But I do have a nice set of zeiss binoculars, a lazer range finder, unfired Traditions .50 cal muzzloader still new in the box, a 2008 BowTech 70 lb. compound bow (all assy. speced out by John Schaffer of Minneapolis MN). Tell me how to send you a pm.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I dont know how to PM but, most of it is sitting next to my smashed rifle and scope in unit 54. But I do have a nice set of zeiss binoculars, a lazer range finder, unfired Traditions .50 cal muzzloader still new in the box, a 2008 BowTech 70 lb. compound bow (all assy. speced out by John Schaffer of Minneapolis MN). Tell me how to send you a pm.
Click on my screen name and click on private message amd then just type at your leisure.

romo343

Nov 12, 2012
I am a resident of Colordo and I have many complaints about elk hunting in the state. Especially in the souther part of the state. I could go on with this topic forever, but i'll try to keep it short. First off I love elk hunting, and its one of my favorite things to do. But the problem with CO is that the DOW and the sate is so money hungry its sad. The quality of elk in the units I hunt is pitiful. There is a bull to cow ratio of 12:100, and this is rediculous because it it prime elk habitat. The unit borders New Mexico units 4 and 52, and the quality of elk there is amazing compared to our units. Another problem with Colorado is the amount of hunting tags they give out each year. Unlimited archery, draw muzzleloader, Draw 1st season, OTC res and non res 2nd and 3rd season, draw 4th season, and a Dec. cow hunt. WOW!! to me that many seasons is rediculous, and it shows in Colorado the quality of elk because of it. The DOW estimateds 7800 elk in the units i'm referring too, and being someone who spends a great amount of time in the mountains year round, and especially in June-Nov. I just don't agree with this because I do not see many elk when I'm out and about. Plus they contraindicate themselves because one page says 7800 and another link says an average of 6500, to me 1300 is a big difference. The bottom line is Colorado elk hunting is doing down hill, and its sad because it should not be this way. I see other states who really care about there elk populations and as far as i'm concerned CO really doesn't care. I hate to be this way, I'd rather like to sit here and talk great about elk hunting here, but its just not the case.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm glad you're alive, if I hunted 54 the last 5 years in a row, I might have driven off monarch pass on the way back east.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
From what I've looked at, aren't the success rates for a lot of the otc units in CO between 15-20%? Isn't that very consistent with other otc units in different states?

Also, what about the elk populations in some of the low, 1-3 point units? Romo, or anyone else for that matter, what do you think about the elk populations in those low draw units? And if you had to recommend one, any suggestions? My brother in law and I will have 2 points next year and have been researching units with a decent population of animals. Not necessarily big bulls but just good quantity. I have a few ideas but am always open to new suggestions.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
I found the answer. After 61 years of hunting elk and muley's. I'm retired from hunting. I had a good run, and have a million memories.

I'll be living out the rest of my years fly fishing the creeks in the same mountains I hunted for so many years. I'll be doing it without all the hunters though, and that's a good thing. :)