• No, it's a great trophy elk state

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Too late to get a point now, but you can apply for one without trying to draw a tag. I will have to be next year now.:(

Earlier someone asked about fires....well we have one going down here in the 4 Corners area now. Near Mancos, lots of smoke and some wind. Hope to hell they can get it beat down before it gets too bad.

Last edited:

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Colorado isn't the best by any stretch but you can find a 300-330" bull every now and then if you look. I would choose AZ, UT, or NM over Colorado for a trophy bull.

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
I was hoping we would get dispatched down there to help you guys with the fires. We are packed and ready to help put them out. Any ways back to elk hunting. Colorado manages for hunter success dont they? Not trophy.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Yeah the majority of the units are manged that way. It is hotter than hell here this year and if the high country doesn't start getting some rain antler growth is going to be bad. I am thinking about turning in my unit 49 tag and drawing it next year. I have read articles that claim a drought year has the potential of stunting antler growth up to 40%.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Everyone is saying 300" elk...

I wonder when you compare 400" elk killed per year by state where CO ranks? Granted CO has the most elk, but is 1 400" CO elk killed every year? 390? 380?

I once heard a guy in elk camp say... "a guide in CO will have you convinced that a 300" elk is a monster"

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
to each their own, but my 1st elk hunt in CO I passed on a 4x4 and a fellow hunter said any other elk hunter in CO would have shot that elk, you should have shot it, they don't get much bigger out here on public land...

you know if everyone passed 5x5 and sub 300" elk, then when everyone shot an elk it would be a 6x6 300"+

again to each their own, but I'd rather shoot a cow elk for meat than a immature elk 4x4 230" type bull.

and this "if I don't shoot it someone else will" attitude doesn't help at all IMO.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
to each their own, but my 1st elk hunt in CO I passed on a 4x4 and a fellow hunter said any other elk hunter in CO would have shot that elk, you should have shot it, they don't get much bigger out here on public land...

you know if everyone passed 5x5 and sub 300" elk, then when everyone shot an elk it would be a 6x6 300"+

again to each their own, but I'd rather shoot a cow elk for meat than a immature elk 4x4 230" type bull.

and this "if I don't shoot it someone else will" attitude doesn't help at all IMO.
So you believe everything your told?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ummmm good luck guys! i hear colo sucks bad:rolleyes: as with any place , scout...... and good luck on those fires, that is crazy shiz going on that way

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
Orange army indeed. Unbelievable hoards of hunters in Colorado. There are big bulls killed every year in Colorado but mostly raghorns, small 4x4's, 5x5's and small 6x6's. If a guy has the $$$ hire a good outfitter and hunt private lands. Public lands are over run with the orange army.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I think Colorado is a great elk hunting state with prime habitat and plenty of them chase. However, it's no secret that if you want to take a trophy caliber bull elk (let's say 350"+), your odds are much better in several other states (AZ, NV, NM, MT, ID). One of the benefits of being on the records committee with P&Y and B&C is you get to review where critters are being taken and how often (by state, county, etc.) over the last decade or so. For trophy size bulls, CO ranks lower than the states listed above. However, good luck getting a tag in a few of those states. If a 300" bull is a trophy to you, then it's definitely doable in Colorado.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Aren't there enough states with trophy elk and hard-to-draw tags? I appreciate CO for what it is; a state full of opportunity. It's nice to be able to drive out, buy an archery tag, and hunt on abundant public land. The ratio of mature, trophy bulls might not be there, but numbers of elk and giant muleys make up for that.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
haha your waisting your time oldhunter, the last 5 elk seen in idaho were ran over by a potatoe truck last night head south of the border. i elk hunt in florida.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
I hear Florida has some monsters.

Has to be better than Colorado, because we have no elk left.

Good rabbit hunting though. Except they have disease.

Fly fishing is good though. Oh wait! No runoff this year. Fish are all dead.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I hear Florida has some monsters.

Has to be better than Colorado, because we have no elk left.

Good rabbit hunting though. Except they have disease.

Fly fishing is good though. Oh wait! No runoff this year. Fish are all dead.
You should consider moving to a more game-rich environment. I guess at least you have nice scenic views?