• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
True statement?

What do you say?

If you want a trophy elk, 6x6 300"+ is CO near the bottom of your elk states list?

Feel free to include some colorado elk sayings too.

"In colorado we don't have elk, we have elk hunters"

"The orange army"

Last edited:

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I agree and wouldn't even bother to apply for an elk tag in Colorado. The fires have pushed all the elk to WY, NM, and Utah. However, I think that Colorado may have better elk than Hawaii ( we are comparing all the states aren't we )!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I agree and wouldn't even bother to apply for an elk tag in Colorado. The fires have pushed all the elk to WY, NM, and Utah. However, I think that Colorado may have better elk than Hawaii ( we are comparing all the states aren't we )!
No fires to speak of down here in the SW part of the state. Just got back from some hiking in the high country and saw lots of elk....guess they are still here!!! Guess out there in "The high plains of colorado" there aren't too many elk there in the flat lands!!!

adbowhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Colorado
CC I think BKC was trying to get the NR's to not come and hunt in our state...Just a thought:) What about that fire out of Pagosa, how's that doing? If this fire keeps going in Ft Collins RMNP will be burning soon...

Where I hunt the elk are already at the top trying to avoid the bugs and find solitude. Like every year its gonna be a different than the last:)

Good luck this year!!!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Both comments (mine for sure) are a little "tongue in cheek" and I am sure ment to be a little humerous. My hike was a disaster!!! Got ate up by "noseeums" and it was damn hot. I did see a few elk right a daylight and then some more late afternoon. Glad I wasn't hunting. Going back in a couple of weeks when it cools down some.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
CC I think BKC was trying to get the NR's to not come and hunt in our state...Just a thought:) What about that fire out of Pagosa, how's that doing? If this fire keeps going in Ft Collins RMNP will be burning soon...

Where I hunt the elk are already at the top trying to avoid the bugs and find solitude. Like every year its gonna be a different than the last:)

Good luck this year!!!
I'm just doing my job to help the energy crisis. I just don't want people to drive all the way here and burn all that gas and degrade the ozone layer anymore than it has to be. Then you get here find out it is overcrowded with hunters and undercrowded with elk. Maybe better to hunt high fenced elk or another state.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Both comments (mine for sure) are a little "tongue in cheek" and I am sure ment to be a little humerous. My hike was a disaster!!! Got ate up by "noseeums" and it was damn hot. I did see a few elk right a daylight and then some more late afternoon. Glad I wasn't hunting. Going back in a couple of weeks when it cools down some.
Cools down in July??

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
Not workin guys, Im still comin to your state!

Ya'll cant miss me, I'll be totin a trailer with my prius, loaded to the gills with solar panels. Stop by and say "hi", we can share a cappuccino or tea? You cant miss me, im the one with the windmill on the roof!

BTW, if your ever interested in killin a pig in the oak hills of central CA, killin "piles" of duck/geese, dont think about CA, were really not nonresident friendly:rolleyes:

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Not workin guys, Im still comin to your state!

Ya'll cant miss me, I'll be totin a trailer with my prius, loaded to the gills with solar panels. Stop by and say "hi", we can share a cappuccino or tea? You cant miss me, im the one with the windmill on the roof!

BTW, if your ever interested in killin a pig in the oak hills of central CA, killin "piles" of duck/geese, dont think about CA, were really not nonresident friendly:rolleyes:
Solar panels won't work. We have no sun in Colorado.

bz_711

Feb 21, 2012
IL
Sorry guys...coming to CO anyway...can't beat the CO high country.

Same problem here in West Central IL...no such thing as big whitetails...not sure why all these NR drop $4000 for a 5 day hunt...it's just a pesty whitetail...

bowhuntress

Aug 26, 2011
NW Colorado
I agree ... as far as trophy quality goes they are hard to come by. Every year there are a couple killed over 300 around here but there are LOTS more rag horn bulls that are killed. We have a good amount of elk here, but not many are true 300 inch trophies. Most of those big bulls stay on private property if they are around and there are usually over a dozen people waiting for it to make a mistake and go on public land. Not much fun!

Even trying to find a place to get away from hunters anymore is getting harder to do. There are still lots of elk but SO many hunters that are now going off the beaten path its hard to find those honey holes anymore.

And yes, NW Colorado has the big bulls but takes WAY TO MANY years to try and draw it. Its worth it to look somewhere else you might be able to draw.

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
I disagree about it being the worst trophy state. There are nice 300 bulls killed in many units every year and some bigger. Especially le and on private there are a lot bigger bulls than people give credit too. I don't call it the best and for trophy it's towards the bottom but there are good 6 pt bulls around.

fortgeorgetaxidermy

Apr 7, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
I see multiple bulls taken by hunters every year over 350. had a 371 brought in last year was killed otc archery on public land. We do have the largest herd in the world. But are average bull is nothing compared to some places. And yes we have lots of good 6pts.