• No, it's a great trophy elk state

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
This year was the first year I ever bought an OTC tag. I was forced into it, because i got hurt for my muzzleloader tag, and had to turn it in. When I bought the tag at the Salida DOW office I asked why it didn't say anything about the unit 55 i was buying it for. He told me it was good for any OTC unit for the season I got it for.

That hunt made me decide to retire. There must have been 2000 hunters there.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
sorry to hear that old hunter. saddly alot of states are getting more worried about the money they pull in than the quality of the heards. hopefully things will play out and you can get out and persue more elk.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Well, I guess that leaves me and Colorado Cowboy, The woods won't seem the same knowing your not in there somewhere but I understand. My nine year wait was worth it and I still met deer hunters. Only 25 deer hunters it that unit but at my age it cant happen again and that was the first time I ever hunted for a trophy.
I my get the binos and camera. Good luck fly fishing Old Hunter, maybe I will see you on the Conejos.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
come on over and fly fish henry's. ill push some 14lb cutbows your way:) idaho is getting bad with alot of units too. still some solid ones though

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
I'll be on the Frying Pan for the green drake hatch in August. I live on the Arkansas River, so the caddis hatch is a natural for me. The rest of the time mostly on the Taylor. Lakes during runoff. Sometimes the So Platte, but it's always crowded, and you know how I love crowds. :)

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
This does not make sense. I don't know any unit that has a cap on otc license, You either can hunt the unit with the tag or you cant. ???????
For this unit specifically they have a cap, after the number of licenses sell out, you can't get one. Not the case in the rest of the units, you can go to the DOW and just buy one any time. In this unit they go on sale in June or July and there is no draw, but when they are gone, no more. Unit 54, check it out, 2nd season, only stripey unit on the map:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Maps/Hunting/BigGame/OTCRifleElk.pdf

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
For this unit specifically they have a cap, after the number of licenses sell out, you can't get one. Not the case in the rest of the units, you can go to the DOW and just buy one any time. In this unit they go on sale in June or July and there is no draw, but when they are gone, no more. Unit 54, check it out, 2nd season, only stripey unit on the map:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Maps/Hunting/BigGame/OTCRifleElk.pdf
Well I'll be damned! You learn something new each day. So from I would guess, they would like as many cows shot as possible in 2nd season?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Well I'll be damned! You learn something new each day. So from I would guess, they would like as many cows shot as possible in 2nd season?
The success rate is terrible, its just a very accessible unit close to town so you can hotel hunt it (theoretically). Still plenty of private for the bulls to hide out in, that or the nastiest canyons I've seen. I might try it again some day (because I'm stupid and hard headed), I think I was figuring it out, but there's no shortage of competition there - the cap is still 500 tags for 2nd season.

7mmshot

Jan 2, 2012
colorado
always a ton of hunters out here. The worste part is when they shoot at the same animal the saw you stalking on.
But Colorado allows these OTC archery, 2nd, 3rd, seasons. And alot of money comes into this place from that.

I don't think I ever see any of that money, but I do know some guys that guide and it helps them pay the bills.

elks

Dec 2, 2012
True statement?

What do you say?

If you want a trophy elk, 6x6 300"+ is CO near the bottom of your elk states list?

Feel free to include some colorado elk sayings too.

"In colorado we don't have elk, we have elk hunters"

"The orange army"
Nope I can find at least one 300" bull every year in OTC units, just getting to close the opportunity gets hard. That being said it is hard finding mature bulls, but if you hunt hard and burn up some boot leather they are there... Sure were not pulling out bulls like other states, but I am also a resident who gets to hunt atleast sometimes 2 different elk tags a year and prettym uch where ever I feel like hunting. In other states it takes years to draw even some of the easiest tags. I would rather have the opportunity to hunt every year then once every ten. Atleast in this system I can see a 300" + bull every year, and everyone once and a while put it down.