Bulls Taken in 2020 with what bullet and caliber combos?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'll play along - 165 grain Interbond, 30-06, 250 yards after angle comp - real distance just over 300. Bull travelled about 40 yards. This bullet/caliber combination has taken quite a few elk for me. Not sure what to debate? Gobs of great combinations out there if the shooter does his/her part.
Bull HQ Pic.jpg

SpartanArmsLLC

Dec 7, 2020
I'll play along - 165 grain Interbond, 30-06, 250 yards after angle comp - real distance just over 300. Bull travelled about 40 yards. This bullet/caliber combination has taken quite a few elk for me. Not sure what to debate? Gobs of great combinations out there if the shooter does his/her part.
View attachment 33052
Totally agree, just trying to see what everyone's best bullet combo is as far as with evidence. Because its always an argument about what one is best like berger, hornady, nosler, etc.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Totally agree, just trying to see what everyone's best bullet combo is as far as with evidence. Because its always an argument about what one is best like berger, hornady, nosler, etc.
I understand. I'm a fan of bonded lead bullets for big game. I don't care for the non lead offerings available on the market. To me, that is the real debate where people differ.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Hornady ELD-X 150gr 7mm-08. I won't stand up and say it's "the best" - I don't think there is such a thing. But throw it in the "here's another one that did the job" pile.

Reactions: DRUSS and tim

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
View attachment 33052
Ahhhh.... not sure who can follow after that picture of your bull. Way to kill a party 😂😂
Congrats on a beauty.

Reactions: Hilltop

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Ikeepcold- I’m surprised you aren’t running a heavier for caliber bullet in that .28 as is designed.
Most are running 175-195
Curious on your thoughts.
Nice bull!

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ve always used 180gr in my 300 win mags. My hunting partner wanted to get the 28 Nosler and did the research on the grain that we chose for the 28. He is a speed guy and I think that was why he wanted us to use this bullet. I myself like you guys like heavier bullets and I think I will be trying the 195 soon at the range and depending on the outcome I will probably make the change.
Although this bullet clearly can do the job. I also have 6 boxes so I’ll have to burn through them or sell them to my partner.

I will admit I need to go to the range and work with my scope. My shot was a bit high and further back then where I was aiming so I need to make a few corrections to my set up. I enjoy shooting long range at the range and I know I would miss my mark passed 600 yards. 500 and less I was confident in my set up but I was not happy with my shot placement on this bull.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I will admit I need to go to the range and work with my scope. My shot was a bit high and further back then where I was aiming so I need to make a few corrections to my set up. I enjoy shooting long range at the range and I know I would miss my mark passed 600 yards. 500 and less I was confident in my set up but I was not happy with my shot placement on this bull.
Every time that I have made a bad shot or didn't hit the animal right where I wanted to and have taken my rife back to the range to correct the problem I have found that the problem is with the person that pulled the trigger.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
5 mulies and a 6X bull this yr with my 28 Nosler with the 162 eldx. Excellent deer round but a little too fragmental for my likings for elk.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
5 mulies and a 6X bull this yr with my 28 Nosler with the 162 eldx. Excellent deer round but a little too fragmental for my likings for elk.
This would be my thoughts. Not saying it can’t get the job done, but there’s just a little better offerings when you’re moving from a 7 MM to a 28 Nosler. 👍

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I agree Bones.
The lighter Bullets in a .28 Nosler will definitely get the job done but a heavier Bullet seems to work even better.

Keepitcold, if you ever get a chance to try the 195gr Berger’s you’ll have to let us know if your rifle likes them. Regardless of the bullet, congrats on getting a great rifle and a great bull !!

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I shot a cow elk at 250 with a 150 grain Nosler partition from my .270 winchester. Does that count? I didn't recover the bullet but I love partitions!

Reactions: Winchester

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Every time that I have made a bad shot or didn't hit the animal right where I wanted to and have taken my rife back to the range to correct the problem I have found that the problem is with the person that pulled the trigger.
I would normally agree with you on this because it’s happened to me many times. But this time I think it’s the equipment. I will report back. I hope it was me that way it will be easier to understand what happened.