Boot Conditioners And Treatments, What Do You Use?

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
meltonian water and stain protector is great but will need to reapply so often as it wears off. You can waterproof a paper towel and make it hold water! Snow seal is not bad but I’ve had issues when it gets colder and the wax hardens on the boots and comes off. Also snow seal is a pain if you need to add glue to the boats with that on, good luck! Leather boats need what works saddle soap and dry, cream polish or boot lotion, and buff. Than a protective treatment of choice. I really want to try the one listed above obenaufs.

I’ve work on a few boots and shoes in my high school and college days working dad as a cobbler. Keep my Lowa Tibet’s and 2 Renegades going! Both are on the second pair of soles and one set of renegades still good!3EE0D83F-FC42-4051-B912-125F07F9126F.jpeg8C791E7A-220E-45A7-9384-211C18E68A54.jpeg1D546CB6-59F2-4CED-A3DA-3D9A0E537AFC.jpeg

I’ll post pictures of the new soles and them cleaned up. Also these were brown and I changed them to blacks for duty use since I need new ones for hunting.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Look up Grangers. One of the few conditioners approved for Gore Tex. Wouldn’t use snow seal, mink oil or anything else on Gore Tex if it’s a high end boot...

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
When I bought my first pair of Scarpa GTX Kinesis Pro they recommended Nikwax for their boots with Gortex. Doesn't soften the leather and won't interfere with how Gortex works. I am impressed these are the first boot that truly keeps my feet dry, 5 days in wet snow and my feet were not wet from the outside.

DonnaDickens

Oct 20, 2020
Hello everyone. I wear old military shoes, embroidered in 1994. To be honest, they are still as good as new. In fact, I want to tell everyone a secret and say that, in principle, shoe conditioner is not a 100% working method to protect your feet. Just rub against your shoes, do not let them rip or break through the sole. Cover your shoes with special creams and recipes if possible. Which creams I can not advise you, but I can recommend a site where you can find additional information - https://epicductcleaning.com.au/duct-cleaning-traralgon/. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I never bother . waterproofing from factory has always outlasted the soles of my boots . never found a pair of boots I couldn't destroy walking in a year. that includes the mighty kenetreks.

why worry about the leather when the soles won't hold up????????????

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I never bother . waterproofing from factory has always outlasted the soles of my boots . never found a pair of boots I couldn't destroy walking in a year. that includes the mighty kenetreks.

why worry about the leather when the soles won't hold up????????????
I have a set of Browning all leather boots that I have resoled twice. They are on their 3rd set of vibrim sole. They have several leather patches on the uppers too. Great boots....too bad they don't make them any more.,

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have a set of Browning all leather boots that I have resoled twice. They are on their 3rd set of vibrim sole. They have several leather patches on the uppers too. Great boots....too bad they don't make them any more.,
when I was younger I used to get my boots resoled . don't know of anyone around here that will still do it. I thought that was a dead trade.

what does it cost you to get a pair resoled ?? am curious as to wether it is worth the effort of sending them away or not???