Bino packs

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I have only used the bino " straps" for my binoculars and am looking at buying a bino pack but don't know what to buy or if I should just stay with the straps I currently have.
I need help:)
Any advise from the group will be very much appreciated!!

Gman

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
You will probably like the pack more than the straps. Seems like most guy's do. As to which one... it's really a personal preferance. I've used AGC, KUIU, and have switched to Marsupial which I like the best so far. Just look at the different options and pick one!

Reactions: gman1

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here is a thread from a while ago where we discussed some of them.

I myself have the Badlands bino pack. You can find them for around $80 + but if you go to the Camofire.com site they usually pop up on it for around $54 now days. They just had them on yesterday so it will be a few days before they show back up.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
We are about to give away an Alaska Guide Creations Bino harness, make sure you all are signed up. When Luke gets back I will check on when he plans to drop it on social and on here.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I will get a few others to comment from the office on their favorites, but I am going to do my best to list my favorite feature from all of the harness/pack combinations I have used. Listed in no particular order.

Outdoor Vision- one of the best combinations of features and spartan style that I have used. Front flipping lid is great.
Alaska Guide Creations- super comfy harness with enough space in the pack to essentially function as another pocket it were on your pack. Will be what I use this year.
Eberlestock- The button closure and space for a pistol is very cool, quiet to open too.
Mystery Ranch- Comfortable harness and an adjustable magnetic clasp that fits many sizes of binos pretty well.
Sig- They are only sold with the purchase of a set of binos, but may just be the best you can get with a set of binos. Many that come standard when you buy are cheesey and its not long before a new one is bought. Sig's harness may make you rethink that.
Kifaru Koala- This is discontinued, but I loved it when I could quick deploy my pistol or my binoculars.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I have an Eberlestock nosegunner attached to my mainframe straps and its a pretty sweet setup. With a pair of 10x42’s and full size Kimber 1911 the weight is perfectly distributed & you hardly notice it. Its also comes with its own full harness which is very comfortable.

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
I have the Bino XR from Badlands. I can't imagine hunting without it anymore. Fits my vortex viper 10X50 and my rangefiner. Also has 2 pockets where I keep an allen key set, chapstick and some extra shells or backup realease. I use it for whitetail at home and out west. Probably my single favorite piece of gear!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I now have four "bino pack" options and can give you some thoughts on differences between them.

First, I have the Vortex "harness strap". I absolutely LOVE this thing. It's incredibly comfortable - I barely notice it's there, even under other pack straps. It's elastic with a decent balance of "give" vs. not actually bouncing around while you walk. And the way the clips attach to the harness, they slide easily up and down so you can glass quickly, then drop them and get moving.

I also have the Vortex "uni-daptor" which I now keep permanently attached to my binos because it's so low-profile. I used to scout and hunt with a Primos tripod trigger stick (the quick-detach one) but it was heavy, bulky, and noisy. I've now attached the uni-dapter "cup" to my hiking stick by epoxying a bolt into the top of the stick. With this setup I can drop my binos onto the top of my stick in half a second to give me some monopod-style support, all without taking them off my harness. It's just great.

The downside to this setup is lack of camouflage. To try to fix that I added a second piece, a "Binohide" cover that's technically compatible with any harness-style system. To be honest, I really don't like it. It's clumsy to cover and uncover, the attachment method puts side pressure on the lenses so you lose your width adjustment every time, and it's a lot of fussing about with something with your hands - not that subtle. It was cheap enough I didn't bother returning it, but I hardly use it anymore.

From there I moved on to option 3, an Alps RMEF Foundation Ridge Stalker X. This adds a case to the mix, but it's so small I wouldn't call it a "pack". The weird thing is there are even side pockets on it but they're so tiny and flat you can't even store the smallest of windicator bottles on it. That said, I don't totally hate it, and it's a compact alternative to the bulkier "bino packs". If you just want a simple bino case but in a more hunter-friendly format (natural color, silent closure, etc) this isn't a bad option.

Stepping up from there I upgraded last year to an Eberlestock NoseGunner (which I actually bought used here on this forum!) I absolutely love this thing. The harness is much bigger than the Vortex straps, and seem like total overkill - until you start loading it up. The NoseGunner allows you to field-carry a pistol in a slot on the front pouch, although in practice I've found it clumsy to draw from it. It has silent magnetic closures and a ton of room inside, plus the usual "stuff" you'd expect (attached lens cleaning cloth, side pockets with mostly-waterproof-zippers, etc.)

But the part I've really come to love is the rear MOLLE panel. That seems like a gimmick on most products, but I found that by attaching a Wisport Coyote to the back panel, I replaced my entire day pack. There's enough room in there for a small emergency kit, field dressing kit, snack, poncho, and a big bottle of water, and it makes my "day pack" weight INCLUDING the binos only 4lbs! (Excludes water and snack.) For a mid-day scouting hike where I want to go fast and light this is a perfect fit for me.

I realized after writing this that the forum now tries to make Amazon links "smart". The formatting looked really weird, but I figure this forum makes a buck or two off it so here you go anyway:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012OGHEHE/

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Here is a thread from a while ago where we discussed some of them.

I myself have the Badlands bino pack. You can find them for around $80 + but if you go to the Camofire.com site they usually pop up on it for around $54 now days. They just had them on yesterday so it will be a few days before they show back up.
I also have the badlands that’s holds the range on the bottom and binos on the top