Bino Harness with case or not?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you read my other post, you know I just got my Swaro back from repair. The shoulder harness is 12 years old and the elastic is shot.I am getting a new one and there are lots of them with a case attached.

Who uses the case and do you like it? Seems like it would be a little clumsy to me. I am leaning on just a ne harness. I am looking at the Cabelas Hybrid Harness.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Get the encased harness. If you hunt in any type of weather its a game changer, keeps them from getting wet and dirty

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I have an FHF harness and really like it. Don't think I would ever go back to the elastic ones due to the case keeping them way cleaner. It also doesn't bounce as much when you are walking so thats a big plus, but to each their own.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
The FHF bino harness is the real deal. Having your binos protected, and NOT bouncing off your chest with every step is a glorious thing. I attached the FHF range finder case to my bino harness, so its all in one. Perfection

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For a number of years I just used a regular harness with the binoculars exposed to everything. I found that the bounce around a lot and really didn't feel that secure but they worked.

This last December I picked up a Badlands magnetic binocular case and harness and won't ever go back to just the harness. This case protects them from anything that you can throw at them. On my coues deer hunt I crawled and slithered through all kinds of brush and rocks and had no problems with it.

I picked it up at Camo Fire for around 1/2 the price that it is listed for. It was just on sale there yesterday for $70 but it is gone today but I am sure that it will come back around in the future. I have seen it on there a few times, you just have to check on the web site to see what they have on sale.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/optics/camo-binocular-case

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Wanted a fhf but couldn't get the size I needed before a trip I had planned. Ended up with a kuiu, been happy with it. Even added the laser holder. It's nice keeping my binos more protected from brush,rain,dust, and snow

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Definitely look at the cased type. There are several out there and everyone has there favorite. I started off with a Kuiu and an AGC. Bought both new to try out. Ended up sending the Kuiu back and stuck with the AGC. Mostly because the AGC had more room in it and also I tried a crawl test with the lid open on both and the binos would fall out of the Kuiu one. I tend to like having the lid open if there's no weather so I can grab the binos quick.

I have since switched to the Marsupial which I think is the better option. More compact than the AGC but then there's less room to carry other stuff too. I LOVE the magnetic lid that folds forward on this pack! So you can have it open for a quick grab then closed when needed. That's one thing I really dislike about the FHF and why I wouldn't buy one of those. But, like I said everyone has there favorites and lots of guy's like the FHF for some reason ;) The badlands is pretty big so I never really considered it either. You might need to try a couple out to see what works for you.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here are a couple of pictures of the Badlands bino pack. I'm 6'4" with a big belly. It even looks bigger with the harness on. The binos in the pack are some Swaro's 10x42 EL's

P2030002.jpg P2030003.jpg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I spent several hours looking at all the different brands you all mentioned. I ended up ordering Marsupials, mainly because they come in several sizes. Found one that was exactly the right fit. I also looked a Camo Fire, cool site, I'll be looking at it daily.

Thanks everyone.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I spent several hours looking at all the different brands you all mentioned. I ended up ordering Marsupials, mainly because they come in several sizes. Found one that was exactly the right fit. I also looked a Camo Fire, cool site, I'll be looking at it daily.

Thanks everyone.
Good choice! You won't be disappointed...:D

MTbowhunter36

Dec 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
The FHF bino harness is the real deal. Having your binos protected, and NOT bouncing off your chest with every step is a glorious thing. I attached the FHF range finder case to my bino harness, so its all in one. Perfection
Agreed! I've owned several different bino harnesses and I've found that the FHF works the best for me.

Prior to having a harness I've ran with the elastic around the neck, but there's no weather protection and the binos just bounce around.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
same here. I can't ever imagine going back to not have my rf right where I can get to it easy on my chest with little movement

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Another vote for the FHF harness. Holds my Zeiss 10x42's wonderfully. Straps are thin enough to fit comfortably under my pack.

D.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I have used both. Like them the same however, the cased harness has been getting more use lately.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
In no particular order or ranking, here are the harnesses that I have used and a VERY BRIEF thought or two on each...

Eberlestock-Brandon put his through the paces this past year and really liked it.

FHF- Todd and Dan have used this brand, both with positive results.

Mystery Ranch- Two full seasons with mine, comfortable and carried my Zeiss Conquest Binos very well.

Sitka- Dan Pickar and Guy both used these and had positive feed back.

S4 Gear-I liked mine and abused one for two years, light weight option but not fully enclosed.

There are few that I haven't tested yet, but hope to soon: Outdoor Vision and MuleyFreak to name a few.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I am a big fan of my Alaska guide creations pack...i can carry my binos and a rangefinder without adding additional things to the straps. The elastic cord for securing the bino compartment is silent and that is also a plus.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk