Best Crossbow for deer hunting

Billy02

May 3, 2018
Can you guys suggest what is the best crossbow for deer hunting, i am new to thins so can you also explain the difference of crossbow and compound crossbow, which is better?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
One-time Poster Billy;

It makes no difference on the weapon. The real difference maker is wearing the right camo pattern, screaming out his nick name, shooting arrows with suction cups on the end, followed by screaming BBD (big buck down). Chicks dig it too!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Can you guys suggest what is the best crossbow for deer hunting, i am new to thins so can you also explain the difference of crossbow and compound crossbow, which is better?
Hey Billy

Head over to the new members section and give and intro please.

Stick around and Welcome to the forum.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm not sure which one is best.

But I am sure that they should be required to be sold in pink camo.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
One-time Poster Billy;

It makes no difference on the weapon. The real difference maker is wearing the right camo pattern, screaming out his nick name, shooting arrows with suction cups on the end, followed by screaming BBD (big buck down). Chicks dig it too!
Everyone on the forum was a one time poster. Cut the guy some slack.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
A compound crossbow contains cams (wheels) on the end of the limbs that contain the string. On traditional (recurve) crossbows, the string attaches directly to the limb. Most hunting crossbows use cams.

This site gives a pretty good advanatages/disadvantages: http://crossbowgeek.com/compound-crossbow-vs-recurve-crossbow/

For a guy just starting out i highly recommend the Centerpoint Sniper 370. It is alot of bang for the buck and will easily kill a deer.

Its $250 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CenterPoint-Sniper-Crossbow-Package-Camouflage/dp/B0179XHY3Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525386984&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=centerpoint+sniper+370&psc=1

My sister shoots a Ten-Point. At one time they were considered the cadillac of crossbows (and maybe still are). They have a feature built into the stock that allows you to cock the bow very easily. They are really expensive, many north of $1000.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Don't take it personally. Crossbows get people's panties in a wad for some reason. Welcome to the forum, are you new to hunting in general or just new to archery?

Check out the first link buckbull posted, it has some great info to get an idea of the differences.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Many states do not allow use of crossbows during archery only seasons, for good reason. If you are planning to do so make sure they are legal in your state.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Billy, I use a crossbow and I wont apologize for it. It is legal in Oklahoma and I love mine. Its a parker thunderhawk and you can get one fully rigged for under 600$. Its accurate and very compact. I also have a parker compound and I like it as well. I hunt with whatever weapon that is legal for the season. Its all about preference of the hunter. We should support all legal methods of hunting even if we choose not to participate ourselves. Welcome to the forum.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ive actually been wanting to get a crossbow and use it during the any weapon season, i am glad they are not allowed during archery season here in Idaho and they shouldn't be, but would love to use one in place of rifle during any weapon season.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Welcome to the forum. The best is a hard question as it is quite a broad topic. In general, you get what you pay for. I would figure out what your max budget is and shoot a couple of different models and brands around that price point and go with the one you like best. If you are unsure after shooting some, narrow it down to two or three, read lots of online reviews, and then maybe get some feed back from the guys on the forum regarding your two or three options. Good luck.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Thank goodness for crossbows, they let me still hunt my last Wyoming elk tag after screwing up my shoulder. A crossbow also allowed my wife to kill her first bull ever in Wyoming on a hunt she still excitedly talks about today. I called in six bulls to her in an hour that morning.

The negativity some people have with crossbows makes you think they must be lasers that you can kill game at 4.5 miles with no wind or elevation correction. In reality they give marginally better performance than todays compound bows and as a disadvantage are a pain in the neck to pack around on a spot and stalk hunt.

We went with an Excalibur and are very happy. Recurve limbs, no timing issues, very easy to maintain and repair on my own.

Last edited:

Billy02

May 3, 2018
Don't take it personally. Crossbows get people's panties in a wad for some reason. Welcome to the forum, are you new to hunting in general or just new to archery?

Check out the first link buckbull posted, it has some great info to get an idea of the differences.
I used to hunt ducks with friends, guns and ducks, but very new to archery.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would recommend taking a bow hunter safety course. Some states require these courses to hunt but some don't. I do believe there is value there for the new archer even if your particular state doesn't require it. They teach safety as well as a lot about bows in general that may help you make some decisions regarding what style and type of bow you want to purchase. I would also search your area for an archery shop or club where you can spend some time learning and talking to experienced archers. You may even find a deal on a used bow. Good luck to you...

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Thank goodness for crossbows, they let me still hunt my last Wyoming elk tag after screwing up my shoulder. A crossbow also allowed my wife to kill her first bull ever in Wyoming on a hunt she still excitedly talks about today. I called in six bulls to her in an hour that morning.

The negativity some people have with crossbows makes you think they must be lasers that you can kill game at 4.5 miles with no wind or elevation correction. In reality they give marginally better performance than todays compound bows and as a disadvantage are a pain in the neck to pack around on a spot and stalk hunt.

We went with an Excalibur and are very happy. Recurve limbs, no timing issues, very easy to maintain and repair on my own.
I purchased a stryker stykezone380 for my son a few years back. He is right handed and legaly blind in his right eye, it has been a real struggle for him to become proficient with a bow and he loves hunting. I agree with Umpqua Hunter, they are marginally better than a modern compound. The biggest advantage that I see is the lack of movement not having to draw it back and spooking game. Conditions would have to be almost perfect to attempt a shot beyound 40 or 50 yards.