Best boots for elk hunting

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
NOT KENETREK!! I've had good luck with Lowa, Zamberlaan & will be anxious to try the Lathrop & Sons Mtn. Hunter boots that I'll be getting soon.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I've been using Lathrop & Sons Mtn. Hunter Elite boots since they first came out with them a couple of years ago.
I like them but they have a fairly stiff sole and they are a little heavy.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
The ones that fit your feet. I like a stiff sole.
Take a look at Crispi. They have different sole stiffness that you can choose.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
NOT KENETREK!! I've had good luck with Lowa, Zamberlaan & will be anxious to try the Lathrop & Sons Mtn. Hunter boots that I'll be getting soon.
I’ve had excellent success with Kennetrek’s, the mountain extremes I have will be going on their 4th season this year, no issues with the rand separating or premature wear. Excellent foot and ankle support, but fit is very subjective - they happen to fit my feet perfect. Everyone should try several brands until you find one that fits just right.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I've been running the Zamberlan Baltoro's the last 2 years and love them. Good stability and VERY lightweight for a mountain boot. I never think about my feet when I'm wearing them, which says a lot IMO.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I have switched totally over to crispis and now have around 5 different pairs. They all are super quality and each model is a little different as far as weight and stiffness. It’s nice having several to choose from depending upon weather terrain and use. I also have a pair of lowa Tibet’s I only use in deep Are

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I had one pair of kenetreks . I liked the feel and comfort of them o.k. but they they only lasted about a year . same as my danners generally do.

just can not justify paying twice the price for a boot that doesn't hold up any better.

to be fair, I put a lot of miles on my boots

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’ve never had issues with my Kentreks not lasting. I wear mine everyday as my workboots as well. I’m going on 2 years with this pair. I’ve had one pair resoled, that’s about it.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I’ve been tricked by marketing when it come to boots more than once. At the end of it all it boils down to fit, not brand. The most expensive doesn’t necessarily mean the best for you. I hated my Kenetrek ME boots, I fought blisters for weeks before they broke in or I built enough calluses to wear them. The soles were gone in one year and the leaked like a sieve. I really wanted them to be the best boot I ever put on my feet due to the cost, I just had to admit they weren’t for me. I went back to $200 Irish setters and have been wearing them the last few years. I haven’t had a blister or wet feet since.

daltonbourne

Aug 22, 2022
Keen and Merrell Boots are two popular brands that can not skip. These two brands are two of the most popular hiking boots in the market today. Both come with excellent functionalities and features. Keen hiking boots are known to have a modern design. They have instituted other features that fit well with those younger hikers. As for Merrell shoes, their design is similar to the traditional shoes of the fast but with modern features.

Last edited:

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
For snow & cold hunting. Schnees Hunter II 13" tall boot.