Best boots for elk hunting

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The ones that you can wear for 12 hours hiking up and down some steep rocky country.

There is no set answer besides the above. If you are hunting in snow you want different boots than if you are hunting a dry hot fall.

Do your feet get cold easily? If so you might want more insulation than normal. I don't want anymore than 400grams of insulation, others like 800 or more. If you are hunting in wet snow you'll need water resistant boots, don't fall for those that say that they are waterproof unless they are a rubber boot.

I like Mendli boots, Cabela's carried them as their store brand until they sold out, now there is a shop in Nebraska that carries them.

taskswap

Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
The ones that fit you PERFECTLY.

I've been through as many pairs of boots as I have backpacks (a lot). They all had tons of great-seeming labels with brand of insulation layers, waterproofing, and other features. Some were as little as $50 and others as much as $400. But at the end of the day I keep going back to a pair of moderately priced Timberlands. I think they were $90. It's not because I think they're perfect for everyone, or "designed for elk hunting" (whatever that means - mostly "elk hunting" is "walking over rocky sh*t" IMHO). They just fit my weird wide-width high-arched feet really well. When you're in a pair of boots for 8-14 hours that's what you want: a perfect fit.

I'll tell you one thing though. Price does NOT move me on boots. I didn't even look at the price tag on these. I had honestly forgotten - I had to Google it. I fractured my heel in last year's season and it STILL hurts. I would rather spend $1000 on boots and $100 on rifle than the other way around. At least for midwest elk...

Reactions: alaska2go

Maxhunter

Very Active Member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I agree with all the comments above. You should go and try on different brands and see which one fits your feet best. I like Kennetrek Mountian Extremes. I have both insulated and unisulated. You want boots with good ankle support.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Fit is King, and you need to try the different brands and styles to find what suites you. I wear different half sizes depending on the mfg., and will switch boots depending on the season, terrain, and weather. Whenever I have the option I will bring 2 or 3 pairs on a trip, and change as the situation dictates.

Reactions: memtb

Jmw280

Oct 24, 2020
Take a look at the Meindl Comfort Fit Hunter. I put 53 treadmill miles on these boots conditioning for my Colorado Public Land Elk Hunt this year. On the hunt, I put well over 30 on them in some of the roughest terrain that you’ll see.
Paired with good merino wool socks, not one hotspot or blister, they were perfect for me.
Great support and comfortable.
Best of Luck.

Reactions: memtb