Backpacking Tent

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I am looking for a 2 man tent for backpacking. Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank if I can help it.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
what are you going to use it for (terrain and environment)? A tight 2 man or a loose 2 man? How heavy of a tent are you looking at?

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I will be using it for hiking trips in the mountains in the summertime and for backcountry archery hunting trips. I would say a tight 2 man because I mainly hunt alone and just want a 2 man tent so I can store my gear inside in case of inclement weather. I'm not sure about an exact weight but since I will be hiking into the backcountry I would like it to be fairly lightweight.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
South Cox just did a review on backpacking tents in one of the EBJ's recently, might want to check that out! I have a Cabelas XPG tent that is quite roomy for one person, and you can fit two in nicely. The only problem is, it is heavy at 6lbs. But I couldn't afford one of the nicer light weight tents.

Don't forget to check out Tarptent's offerings. They are extremely lightweight, and pretty affordable too. I use the Contrail and put my pack under the "beak" vestibule.
No one knows about the contrail! One of the best tarp tents on the market. The company I work for are dealers for Henry Shires, never thought someone would own one on a hunting forum. Props to you Bitterroot for using a awesome tarp tent. I really like the Fly Creek series of tents from BA and I really really like the shelters from Hilleberg. The fly creek 1 and the hilleberg Akto or Soulo would be my choices for a new backpacking tent. Right now I am using a BA 3 wire bivy and have been pleased with it but at 1 pound 12 ounces a fly creek or Akto are going to provide much more room than a bivy at minimal weight gains. Tents are a hard decision but there is no reason to carry a 6 pound tent any more.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Don't forget to check out Tarptent's offerings. They are extremely lightweight, and pretty affordable too. I use the Contrail and put my pack under the "beak" vestibule.

http://www.tarptent.com/
Amen, I love tarptents also for several reasons: They are lightweight, affordable, pack very small for a tent, very versatile, extremely waterproof, and most have a vestibule that's great for keeping gear dry while it's pouring.

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
After looking at this video review, I picked up the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. I have been pretty happy with it so far, fast, easy setup, super light and packable, and the rain fly works great under wet conditions. The tent, my backpacker pillow, and my Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag all fit together in a compression sack, and it fits in my Badlands Superday.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
I have to say I like the BA stuff. SL or UL 2 man should be great for your needs.

chuffness

May 7, 2011
I just placed a order at work with six moons and brought in some of the Skyscape's. I can't wait to see them, really looking forward to possible purchasing one of them for myself as well. Keep us all posted on what you think of that bad boy.
Im heading up tomorrow to Scout around ( Pun intended ). Ive set it up in my yard a couple of times, So far I like the tent. Wish the seams would have came pre-sealed so I didnt have to do it myself. These tents are hard to beat for the price. It was a third the price of BA FLY CREEK UL1. The only thing I wish it would be free standing. But since I use trekking poles its not that big of a deal.