Arrow helical setup w/ whisker biscuit?

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Hey yall so I am thinking about fletching my own arrows and I got the bohning helix fletching jig and I had questions for you eastmans bow junkies. Will a 3 degree helical shoot well through a whisker biscuit? I am shooting factory fletched arrows right now and they shoot great through my whisker and I believe that they have a 1-2 degree helical. Will a more aggressive helical affect my speed and/or will it effect my accuracy through my whisker?

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
When you increase helical or offset for that matter you are increasing fletching drag. Drag affects arrow speed but also stabilizes your arrow in flight. The more helical you add to your fletching will increase drag as it passes through the WB. Basically the harder the helical the more the fletching has to "screw" it's way through the fibers of the rest. Also you may notice a little more noise a the shot. I agree with DR about the fallaway rests, you can't beat em.

Caseyu

Aug 27, 2012
Reno, NV
This is going to work out great. Increase helical. Probably 3 degrees. Shoot them. Sucks. Buy drop away and long lange accuracy goes holy sh** that was easy

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Has anybody shot the NAP apache rest? Looks like a good rest for the money and it has all of the features of the trophy taker smackdown for less money. Got good reviews on Cabelas too. Any advise on this rest?

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I don't think the apache is limb driven but not 100% sure on that and I don't know if that is a big deal to you or not. Personally, if you are going to get a new rest, I would do it right the first time.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Has anybody shot the NAP apache rest? Looks like a good rest for the money and it has all of the features of the trophy taker smackdown for less money. Got good reviews on Cabelas too. Any advise on this rest?
I had the Apache on my bow for about a week and sold it. It is a good rest. Its accurate, quiet, has pretty good containment, but its heavy and if you have a little bit of a hump to get over in your draw cycle before the valley, it will flick you arrow up in the air ever so slightly. After it does that, you have to wait a second for the arrow to go back to the center of the rest. Other than that its a pretty good option, but I ended up going with the QAD like DryFlyGuy. The biggest difference is the price. The Apache is about half the price of the QAD, but I liked being able to pull back and let down without the rest dropping so I decided to change. My advice is to get the best rest in your budget. I have never shot a limb driven rest, but I hear that is the hot ticket. Typically they are a little more expensive than the ones served into the cable from what I have seen, but you usually get what you pay for. Just keep doing research and get the best rest you can afford, but I would definitely recommend a drop away of some sort.

kerrek

May 2, 2011
brookville,pa
In answer to your QUESTION, Yes helical will fly from a whisker biscuit. I'm shooting 3* helical out of my PSE X-force GX w/ whisker biscuit and it will shoot better than I can!

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I don't think the apache is limb driven but not 100% sure on that and I don't know if that is a big deal to you or not. Personally, if you are going to get a new rest, I would do it right the first time.
What are the pro's to a limb driven rest that make it better than a cable activated rest?

ontarget7

Jan 14, 2012
Colorado
For what its worth you can put whatever helical you want and it will still shoot fine through the Whisker Biscuit. If you plan on shooting a dropaway there are plenty of options that will work just fine. I have used the QAD, G5, TT's, Apache, Rip Cord, Hamskea just recently, I'm sure there is more but those are just off the top of my head. I find no matter what I have gone to I still always seem to fall back on the QAD HDX is the current model. These are really tough to beat but they are a cable driven. After spending the last few years with a cable driven rest in a few different brands I am back to a cable driven.

ontarget7

Jan 14, 2012
Colorado
For what its worth you can put whatever helical you want and it will still shoot fine through the Whisker Biscuit. If you plan on shooting a dropaway there are plenty of options that will work just fine. I have used the QAD, G5, TT's, Apache, Rip Cord, Hamskea just recently, I'm sure there is more but those are just off the top of my head. I find no matter what I have gone to I still always seem to fall back on the QAD HDX is the current model. These are really tough to beat but they are a cable driven. After spending the last few years with a cable driven rest in a few different brands I am back to a cable driven.
Sorry the end of that I meant to say the last few years I spent quite a bit of time with limb driven rests and back to a cable driven

leadsled9

Jul 23, 2013
This is my first post.....and my opinion.

You will be fine with a 3 degree offset and a Whisker Biscuit. That's what I'm using with no issues what so ever.

I shot drop away rests for many years and swore by them. Then one day at the range my arrows were hitting in the 3 ring....flying really goofy. Turns out my drop down rest had become rusted internally due to shooting in the rain.....and it wasn't dropping fast enough to clear my vanes.

Many folks like drop down rests....all my buddies shoot them....but I will stick with the Whisker Biscuit. It's just one less thing I have to worry about going bad during a hunt. I shoot the same scores with either rest set up. My 2 cents worth.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
This is my first post.....and my opinion.

You will be fine with a 3 degree offset and a Whisker Biscuit. That's what I'm using with no issues what so ever.

I shot drop away rests for many years and swore by them. Then one day at the range my arrows were hitting in the 3 ring....flying really goofy. Turns out my drop down rest had become rusted internally due to shooting in the rain.....and it wasn't dropping fast enough to clear my vanes.

Many folks like drop down rests....all my buddies shoot them....but I will stick with the Whisker Biscuit. It's just one less thing I have to worry about going bad during a hunt. I shoot the same scores with either rest set up. My 2 cents worth.
Welcome to the forum leadsled9 and thanks for contributing on your first post instead of asking all for the honey hole in a unit you have never been to.