Application Strategy

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Plan on heading back to Wyoming on a second choice deer tag. Im in no mans land according to my research for preference points in WY and CO, plus i want to pick up my deer from last year. Have a guy I work with that claims hes gonna apply and tag along, but I've heard that too many times to believe anyone until i see their application.

Reactions: mosquito

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Put in for a bunch of tags and hope that I draw a couple.

I should be able to draw a Wyoming antelope tag but I should have drawn it the last 3 years.

Colorado muzzle loader deer, now first or second choice is the question.

Utah will just laugh at me to think that I might draw a tag.

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
All my usual Wyoming stuff cause it’s my home, Colorado 3rd season deer and Arizona late coues for something new I’ve never done before and Dropping out of the Utah game not gonna pay to play there any longer lol!!

Reactions: Kodiak

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I will be applying archery or muzzleloader bull elk in New Mexico, get the results then apply for everything minus Rocky Bighorn and Mountain Goat here in NV, get the results then apply bull elk in ID. This is pretty much my strategy every year. Thinking about throwing a Arizona hunt of some kind into the mix. I typically have quite a bit of time off in December so I have been researching what hunts are available during that month.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I "think" I'll be tagging along on a Wyoming archery elk hunt, playing guide/caller/packer. I'll try for a cow tag, but odds are fairly long.

Will probably do Kansas deer. I'd like to go during early ML again, but with the elk hunt I'll probably have to wait until regular firearms.

Hopefully I'll get lucky in AZ, NM, or snag a good Colorado leftover to fill out the calendar.

Reactions: JimP

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm 40.... when I graduated college, I read an article, that got me started, it basically said, apply now!
I was 22? no points anywhere really...
my first tags I put in for were NV Elk, and MT bighorn sheep.
from there I kept expanding....
currently I apply in MT, WY, CO, AZ, UT, NV, and NM (no points here though)
long story short, I've mostly been building points the last decade.... $$ and time...

hopefully I'll start going on more hunts....I kind of plan to draw my tags/burn my points in those states and then stop building points again in those species....I mean if I hunt mule deer once in everyone of those states, that'll be 7 hunts/mule deer, not to mention all the other animals/tags etc.... although at the same time if I love a particular state/animal/area I'm not opposed to gaining points again and hunting it again down the road....

I could see long term....focusing on elk....and moose, and just the animals I'd prefer to eat over the others, not the biggest deer meat fan... maybe that'll change with learning more, cooking etc...

one of my dilemmas now is having quite a few points and trying to figure out how to maximize using them/burning them, when where, etc...
I get points in most states for most species....

exceptions off the top of my head are....
WY bighorn sheep, odds are beyond terrible. I wish they allowed to apply without getting a bonus point....but pretty sure they don't...if you apply you have to pay for a bonus point.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Everything for me revolves around Wyoming General elk tags. I try to draw those as often as possible. Deer, antelope, and cow elk hunts all revolve around the elk. I do save points and draw deer as often as possible but the area I like to hunt takes some points so I can typically stagger those with the elk. I also have moose points and plan to fit that hunt in sometime in the next few years. Antelope is just a filler for the off years. I currently have quite a few points and will probably share them with my youngest and wife.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
I'm 40.... when I graduated college, I read an article, that got me started, it basically said, apply now!
long story short, I've mostly been building points the last decade.... $$ and time...

hopefully I'll start going on more hunts....I kind of plan to draw my tags/burn my points in those states and then stop building points again in those species....I mean if I hunt mule deer once in everyone of those states, that'll be 7 hunts/mule deer, not to mention all the other animals/tags etc.... although at the same time if I love a particular state/animal/area I'm not opposed to gaining points again and hunting it again down the road....

I could see long term....focusing on elk....and moose, and just the animals I'd prefer to eat over the others, not the biggest deer meat fan... maybe that'll change with learning more, cooking etc...

one of my dilemmas now is having quite a few points and trying to figure out how to maximize using them/burning them, when where, etc...

WY bighorn sheep, odds are beyond terrible. I wish they allowed to apply without getting a bonus point....but pretty sure they don't...if you apply you have to pay for a bonus point.
This is my strategy as well. Put in for each and everything that meets my goals and odds are reachable

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020

I believe you can now put in and check weather you want the point or not on the Wyoming sheep and moose!!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
Wyoming general elk is going to be my main focus should draw with 5 pts, idaho bear, muleys, whitetails in nebraska depend when i fill the elk tag, and maybe an antelope muzzy in nebraska. Busy year.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Second rifle deer in Colorado - should have enough to pull a deer tag, if not and the other guys draw I’ll pick up an elk tag and tag along. Elk & Ant poin

Swing for the fences in AZ & NV elk draws, deer and antelope points.

Points only WY & UT

Elk, Deer & Antelope apps in NM for me, the wife, both kids and my dad.

Reactions: LCH

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Idaho sheep. Wyoming antelope points. Oregon points for everything and try to draw a sheep tag, I think I’d have better luck winning the lotto.