Another article on Wyoming's tough winter

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If Wyoming F & G does their job, there will be big cuts in tags. More point will be needed if that happens. I am probable going to avoid Wyoming for a couple of years (or more).

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If Wyoming F & G does their job, there will be big cuts in tags. More point will be needed if that happens. I am probable going to avoid Wyoming for a couple of years (or more).
They have already announced some proposed cuts, I won't be surprised if they cut further in some areas, add more restrictions in others.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
“I’ve completely shut down all of my antelope and all of my deer hunts this year,”

Ya…..ok

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Governor Gordon is having a meeting with G&F tomorrow concerning all the winter kill this year. There may be some tag cuts coming. I attended the Cheyenne G&F meeting Monday and they did cut quite fee tags in the Laramie region for antelope and deer. I’m sure the Western Side of the state will get some serious cuts.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
“I’ve completely shut down all of my antelope and all of my deer hunts this year,”

Ya…..ok
I've talked to several that have done that, a good outfitter has planned for years like this. One i talked with this week went to one of his leases to tell the land owner that he was planning to not book it. The land owner told him that he was planning to ask him to at minimum cut the hunts way down and they were in agreement.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I've talked to several that have done that, a good outfitter has planned for years like this. One i talked with this week went to one of his leases to tell the land owner that he was planning to not book it. The land owner told him that he was planning to ask him to at minimum cut the hunts way down and they were in agreement.
I know one who cancelled all deer and antelope and is waiting to decide on elk. I think this winter will put some outfitters out of business.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming

Ya…..ok
Actually quite a few are doing just that.
You staying home or coming out regardless of how animals are doing?
Lots of residents will be putting in for doe tags just to park them. Glad they draw us 1st, this year for this reason alone.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Deer and antelope will be what take it on the chin. I won't have a problem hunting Whitetail does or even a type 3 tag as most of them live on ag and river bottoms. They recover quickly.

Mule Deer, well that is going to be tough to deal with. It is really going to depend on where they migrated, how the winds helped with keeping the snow off ridge tops, etc. Every biologist is going to earn their living to build their plans for quotas.

Antelope recover much quicker than mule deer, the challenge this year will be how far down they have gone.

One thing I would caution on, don't jump too far down or too far up when making plans. If you have time to keep building points, go that route, if you are thinking this may be one of your last chances in Wyoming based on the math of your age + points and years left etc. I would jump in. Just my two sense.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
You staying home or coming out regardless of how animals are doing?
I'll take that snarky comment and see you a couple...

If I draw a tag I will be out there hunting in your back yard because the WGF is in charge of setting the tag allotments. After all, they should be reducing and expanding the tags accordingly.

Because, well, that's what we are ALL paying them to do. Right? Analyze the herds post winter and set the tag limits accordingly.

Don't hate me. Hate your department if they still want my NR money....

If it wasn't for the internet, how the hell would I even know how the herds were doing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
Deer and antelope will be what take it on the chin. I won't have a problem hunting Whitetail does or even a type 3 tag as most of them live on ag and river bottoms. They recover quickly.

Mule Deer, well that is going to be tough to deal with. It is really going to depend on where they migrated, how the winds helped with keeping the snow off ridge tops, etc. Every biologist is going to earn their living to build their plans for quotas.

Antelope recover much quicker than mule deer, the challenge this year will be how far down they have gone.

One thing I would caution on, don't jump too far down or too far up when making plans. If you have time to keep building points, go that route, if you are thinking this may be one of your last chances in Wyoming based on the math of your age + points and years left etc. I would jump in. Just my two sense.
That's what I'm trying to decide for antelope is because i probably have about a 50/50 chance of drawing maybe I'm not sure and the only reason is I want to put in is so I can donate the tag for the disabled vets organization. So to me life is too short so worse case I put in and don't get it I just buy a point in July and try next year. What do you think?

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
That's what I'm trying to decide for antelope is because i probably have about a 50/50 chance of drawing maybe I'm not sure and the only reason is I want to put in is so I can donate the tag for the disabled vets organization. So to me life is too short so worse case I put in and don't get it I just buy a point in July and try next year. What do you think?
That sounds reasonable to me, especially with the purpose you are looking into.

Reactions: disabled combat vet

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Why hasn’t the fish and game tried implementing some sort of emergency feeding for these critters? Are they worried about spreading cwd? Just curious.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Most of the time emergency feeding doesn't work. All it does is spends the divisions money.

Deer take special pellets, I'm not sure just what they can feed antelope, elk will break into farmers haystacks. Deer and antelope do not do well on alfalfa during the winters and will actually starve to death with full stomachs of the stuff.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Thanks for the feed back. Was just curious after reading that article. I’ve seen some stuff online with guys feeding in Utah this year

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
If you have a feeder in your back yard all year, and have a variety of feed options then deer seem to be able to adapt to it. There are certainly other reasons for not doing so (CWD, vehicle collisions, etc.) Just throwing out some corn or hay in the middle of winter might make you feel good about doing something, but in most cases it is counter-productive.
I shot a big old cow elk in deep snow in WY this past January, and she was stuffed full of alfalfa. I had accessed the public land through a private parcel, and the rancher told me that the elk were swarming his haystacks this winter.