A New Rifle....

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm getting the itch to buy/build a new rifle. Anybody buy anything new recently? I have no idea what I want and thought that maybe some pics/stories might help push me over the edge.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If I was young again I would look real hard at building up a wildcat round. Either one that is established or come up with some hair brained idea of what I wanted.

If I was building one for myself I believe that I would start out with the 404 Jeffery cartridge and then perhaps neck it down to either a 7mm, .30, or a .338 bullet. I would also build it on a Ruger #1 action. It has way more strength for any round that a person could think of, plus there is something real sexy about a single shot such as the #1.

I'd then send the chamber dimensions and a cast of the chamber off to RCBS or Redding to have a custom die set made up.

But since I am getting older now I wouldn't want to go to all that type of work, but if I was back in my 20's or 30's I'd quite possibly just go for it.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I worked with my gunsmith and we built a custom .28 Nosler a couple of years ago.
It's turning out to be a great caliber and rifle.
Here are the details:

.28 Nosler
8 lbs with scope
McMillan hunter stock with ultralite edge technology
Proof Research Carbon Barrel
Bighorn Action / Bolt Model SR3
Trigger Tech trigger
Hawkins Precision Obenrdorf bottom metal with mag follower
Watts Outdoor Mag box
March Optics 3-24x42mm FFP Tactical Knob Scope
Hawkins Precision Scope Rings with 25 MOA Taper
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I worked with my gunsmith and we built a custom .28 Nosler a couple of years ago.
It's turning out to be a great caliber and rifle.
Here are the details:

.28 Nosler
8 lbs with scope
McMillan hunter stock with ultralite edge technology
Proof Research Carbon Barrel
Bighorn Action / Bolt Model SR3
Trigger Tech trigger
Hawkins Precision Obenrdorf bottom metal with mag follower
Watts Outdoor Mag box
March Optics 3-24x42mm FFP Tactical Knob Scope
Hawkins Precision Scope Rings with 25 MOA Taper
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg
I can attest, it is a tack driver!

Reactions: Winchester

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I too am wanting a new rifle, but until I know I can get bullets, powder, etc., I've held off...
I replaced a .300 Wby that I ruined (I posted about it's demise) with another rifle in the same caliber, so I had plenty of brass, powder, bullets and primers. Pretty lucky as my original load shoots pretty well in the new Ruger.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I will probably pick something in .30 for that reason. Powder and primers seem to be where the backlog currently is.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I have been collecting the parts to put together a left hand version of a stainless steel Remington 700 KS in 280 AI. I have the donor action, an ADL mag box and mag box screw, a McMillan KS stock, and a TriggerTech trigger. I hope to order a Benchmark KS contour barrel next week (5 month wait). I have a Trijicon 3-9 Accupoint and Talley rings waiting for it. I also picked up 200 pieces of Peterson brass so I am not searching for that after I get the rifle.

Kodiak32

Dec 10, 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
I had a 28 Nosler built by Snowy Mountain Rifles last year with a Night Force scope and I love it! They did a great job but give yourself plenty of time to get it. If you’re going to have one built I’d check them out.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I''ve been wanting something for awhile; something shooting 6.5, 6.8 or 7mm rounds that is efficient on recoil, and has enough sauce to ethically anchor an animal at 500 yrds, if I do my part.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I would be looking for a Winchester M70 in 30-06. I used to have one but I gave it to my youngest brother, he killed an elk with it last week. Crazy huh.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
will the 6.5prc be like the wsm cartridges. cool today and fade away?
I would like another 270wsm, but even when ammo was easy to find, the 270wsm was not, atleast with the bullets i wanted.
I don't handload and probably never will, i am a big picture guy.