2021 WY Bill for Tag Increases

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I say shut the whole damn state down to non-residents for a couple years and let the residents suffer and wallow in their greed. Of course there are a few people SO greedy that they would love for this to happen because it would mean they had the whole state to themselves even at the sacrifice of their own resident hunters well-being....

They want the tags, they can have them all, and they can also foot 100% of the bill for a couple years until they come crawling back begging for NR's to support them financially.

That would learn them a lesson on being greedy. Especially when the WFG collapses due to a lack of NR funding....

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I somewhat agree...but here's another angle to think about.

What do you tell a 12 year old kid, born in Wyoming and living his whole life here, that their Resident friends and family didn't do all they could to help them realize their dream of hunting a sheep, moose, goat, or bison in their own state because we sat back and gave away the highest percentage of the NR tags to those species than another State?

No offense, but I'm going to advocate for that 12 year old kids chance wayyyyyy more than yours.
Buzz, you know the math is bad for that 12 year old regardless. Use moose for an example- Currently Wyoming has 22,182 people with moose preference points. At 75% or 90%, that 12 year old is likely still waiting 50 years + to get his moose tag. If nobody dropped out, the numbers are actually 81 years and 71 years respectively. Maybe he draws it at 55 instead of 60 but that comes at the cost of willfully deceiving thousands of non-residents out of a lot of money.

I would also point out the state was very aware of the 12 year old's at the time they created the current rules.

What they are trying to pass is wrong, deceitful, and borderline Fraud.

Again, I am a non-resident that supports Wyoming going to a 90/10 split. It does make sense and I would adjust to not being able to draw as frequently. I wrote a long email to those that will hear the bill yesterday stating that. However, I also included that Wyoming needs to find a way to make it right for all of those non-residents that have invested in sheep, moose, goat or bison if they choose to move forward down this path.

Maybe offer people the option to roll the points to another species? That would be better than just telling me I have nothing for all the money I have invested.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I somewhat agree...but here's another angle to think about.

What do you tell a 12 year old kid, born in Wyoming and living his whole life here, that their Resident friends and family didn't do all they could to help them realize their dream of hunting a sheep, moose, goat, or bison in their own state because we sat back and gave away the highest percentage of the NR tags to those species than another State?

No offense, but I'm going to advocate for that 12 year old kids chance wayyyyyy more than yours.
As far as I am concerned Wyoming can do what they want with the tags you mention as I have never applied (or will apply in the future) for one of the species you mention. BUT.....I do hunt Elk, Deer and Antelope and have since 1980. I feel that the proposed fees for these species is an absolute ripoff. Cutting back the tags available to NR's and almost doubling the fee is way out of line. If this passes, 2021 will be my last year to hunt Wyoming. I'll spend my $$$ somewhere else.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I know I will not loose my 11 year investment of buying points. I will pay the increase but will probably not try to build points again after I draw the original tags. At least I’ll keep trying for antelop.
I agree , as nonresidents we are guests and i love going there but those increases are way to much . There are other places. I guess my biggest problem with it is its such a huge increase in just one year . Wy not have a few 10% increases every year to get it to where they think it should be . That would give the people time to get out of the system if they don't like it. Myself included

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I agree , as nonresidents we are guests and i love going there but those increases are way to much . There are other places. I guess my biggest problem with it is its such a huge increase in just one year . Wy not have a few 10% increases every year to get it to where they think it should be . That would give the people time to get out of the system if they don't like it. Myself included
I'll tell you exactly why, because the State Legislature has to approve the fee increases. So, they only take the issue up every few years, at most. Meaning the fee's are locked in place until they decide to increase them, which is usually only when it just about to the point the Department is about to start cutting programs.

Not the fault of the GF or GF commission...they don't have the ability to just increase it a bit here and there each year.

Not picking on you at all, but most of the stuff that the GF, Commission, and resident hunters take flack over is not where the blame lies. Most hunters know very little about how their Departments function and why.

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Buzz, you know the math is bad for that 12 year old regardless. Use moose for an example- Currently Wyoming has 22,182 people with moose preference points. At 75% or 90%, that 12 year old is likely still waiting 50 years + to get his moose tag. If nobody dropped out, the numbers are actually 81 years and 71 years respectively. Maybe he draws it at 55 instead of 60 but that comes at the cost of willfully deceiving thousands of non-residents out of a lot of money.

I would also point out the state was very aware of the 12 year old's at the time they created the current rules.

What they are trying to pass is wrong, deceitful, and borderline Fraud.

Again, I am a non-resident that supports Wyoming going to a 90/10 split. It does make sense and I would adjust to not being able to draw as frequently. I wrote a long email to those that will hear the bill yesterday stating that. However, I also included that Wyoming needs to find a way to make it right for all of those non-residents that have invested in sheep, moose, goat or bison if they choose to move forward down this path.

Maybe offer people the option to roll the points to another species? That would be better than just telling me I have nothing for all the money I have invested.
I would point out that first off, there are no point investments in goat or bison...

Secondly, anyone that believed that the point systems, associated license/point fees, were never going to change was playing ostrich. Its happened in every single state I apply for tags in that have a point system. NV, AZ, MT, WY, CO for example have all changed their systems, are all charging more, since I started applying about 22-23 years ago.

Not sure why it's only Wyoming that NR's complain about?...I know I've never thrown a fit when its happened to me in the States I apply for.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
As far as I am concerned Wyoming can do what they want with the tags you mention as I have never applied (or will apply in the future) for one of the species you mention. BUT.....I do hunt Elk, Deer and Antelope and have since 1980. I feel that the proposed fees for these species is an absolute ripoff. Cutting back the tags available to NR's and almost doubling the fee is way out of line. If this passes, 2021 will be my last year to hunt Wyoming. I'll spend my $$$ somewhere else.
If you can find a state that offers similar quality as often as you draw in Wyoming, even at the proposed fee increases...I say go for it.

Let me know what State that is and I'll apply with you...because I haven't found anything close to what Wyoming offers NR hunters for quality, opportunity, or ease of drawing.

Reactions: Granby guy

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
I'm sorry but you will not talk me into thinking this is a good idea. My biggest problem is the 90/10 allocation. My fear is that hunting the west will turn into a rich man's GAME unless we as hunters do stand up against bills like these. I've seen how spineless most people are with all the silly mandates in the last yr and in my opinion we as hunters and Americans need to protect the freedoms we all enjoy. So yes I encourage everyone to call the wyoming senators and share there thoughts. I understand how residents can think this looks very appealing but please consider the big picture. We are all in this together. We all need the solitude away from the chaos via western hunting so please don't lump all us non-resident hunters as big city snobs. You turn it into a rich mans game and you will see snobs alright. Oh and you asked why people are picking on Wyoming....because we expected better from our last frontier of the lower 48. I think I speak for many when I say I live and work out of state but my home is out west. That's why we get so rattled by stuff like this.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would point out that first off, there are no point investments in goat or bison...

Secondly, anyone that believed that the point systems, associated license/point fees, were never going to change was playing ostrich. Its happened in every single state I apply for tags in that have a point system. NV, AZ, MT, WY, CO for example have all changed their systems, are all charging more, since I started applying about 22-23 years ago.

Not sure why it's only Wyoming that NR's complain about?...I know I've never thrown a fit when its happened to me in the States I apply for.
I apply for moose only... Referenced the others because you did.

There are a lot of things other states do that Wyoming doesn't do. I expect things to change but not so drastically that it would remove all chance at drawing for those invested.

You would complain if you were a nonresident losing 100% of a longterm investment in a tag in another state.

Like I said previously, there can be some middle ground and I think most non residents would be reasonable if there was a proposal that gave residents their tags but offered those non residents something for their investment.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The part that is confusing to me is why the prices can only be changed through legislation. I am sure there is a long history/story behind it but it is different than my state. Maybe it's a good thing, I have no idea but seems to me when the state has an agency responsible for managing wildlife that setting the price for license would fall under their authority. Obviously not in Wyoming, I just find that interesting.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Game and fish departments usually work under the Governor and the rules and regulations are state laws, so every increase and new rules have to go through the legislature. I'm pretty sure that Michigan is the same way.

I don't know if I would want a state agency that was able to raise their rates or fees without going through the legislature process.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Game and fish departments usually work under the Governor and the rules and regulations are state laws, so every increase and new rules have to go through the legislature. I'm pretty sure that Michigan is the same way.

I don't know if I would want a state agency that was able to raise their rates or fees without going through the legislature process.
I believe the way it works here is the DNR proposes the fee increases and the legislature either approves or denies them. I don't recall having rogue politicians submitting legislation on their own to increase or decrease the fee structure.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I believe the way it works here is the DNR proposes the fee increases and the legislature either approves or denies them. I don't recall having rogue politicians submitting legislation on their own to increase or decrease the fee structure.
That's the way that most work. However if you have enough citizens complain enough to a member of the state legislature or put a petition before them to change the way things are then that representative just may introduce this type of a bill to raise prices and lower non resident quotas.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Arkansas Game and Fish have the gravy train. They get 1/2 cent sales tax on all sporting goods sales and mineral rights proceeds. They also do not have to deal with the political side as they have authority to set all game laws. The Commission is selected by the Governor for 6 or 8 year terms I think.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I'll tell you exactly why, because the State Legislature has to approve the fee increases. So, they only take the issue up every few years, at most. Meaning the fee's are locked in place until they decide to increase them, which is usually only when it just about to the point the Department is about to start cutting programs.

Not the fault of the GF or GF commission...they don't have the ability to just increase it a bit here and there each year.

Not picking on you at all, but most of the stuff that the GF, Commission, and resident hunters take flack over is not where the blame lies. Most hunters know very little about how their Departments function and why.
I didn't feel like you were picking on me ... all good . Im not sure how in this country it became a bad thing to have different opinions. No offense taken at all . Id rather have someone spit out what they were thinking instead beating around the bush . Even if i don't agree. From what I read though its not dead just tabled and a task force is to be formed? Is this correct?

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015

Not TRUE, resident hunters in all states were not paying attention and were sold a bill of goods. Commissions and Departments used to not be under the thumb of the Governor or Legislature. We gave them that authority and have been taking a beating ever since.

Apathy and complacency has a price.

If you think you're somehow "protected" by a Governor or your State Legislature...just take a look around at how that's worked out for you.

Having a State Legislature and Governor, very few of which are even remotely educated or aware of most anything related to hunting, fishing, or wildlife management....is akin to letting a plumber practice nuclear physics.

I'll also say, they aren't going to save you from Non Resident fee increases (as if that's even remotely worth worrying about)...they gladly passed the tiered license fee structure, wilderness guide law, non resident preference point bill, removed all general funding from the WYGF and didn't bat an eye while they put the boots to you. To save a few million dollars of general fund money, there wasn't a moments hesitation for the Legislature to pass that on to the NR just a couple years ago via a NR fee increase.

You think they've done you favors?

Congratulations....