2021 Hunting Success Thread

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
View attachment 38008

Just barely over 2 months since pulling the trigger on him, I got my full body Kodiak Billy Mountain Goat mount back from the taxidermist. Was not able to get the glands to display as they were, but otherwise I am astounded at the job he did.
I can't even get a euro back from my beetles guy in 2 months!! I'm with you, he did a great job!

Reactions: Wyoming Hart

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I buried a couple heads in the dirt a few months back and covered them with 55 gallon plastic drums I cut in half with the chainsaw and they are about cleaned up from the fire ants. :) Too cheap to send them to the beetles. lol

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Fire ants will do just as good of a job I believe and if you have access to them you might as well as feed them.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Man they are nasty here at my place. I think they are actually starting to enjoy the poison I put out for them. lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Many many years ago a friend of mine and I would go hunting lizards down along the border with Mexico out of Douglas Arizona with our BB guns. We would take quite a few of the ones that we shot and place them onto a fire ant hill and watch the ants devour them. One day I shot a horny toad and placed him onto top of a large hill. A few days later all that was left of him was the skeletal remains. You could see a perfectly round hole where I had shot him with a BB. I took it home but with moms being moms I had to get rid of the souvenir

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Me & my buddy decided to try a late season deer management hunt here in Iowa. This antlerless season was conditionally opened, in just 5 counties, during mid January 2022, contingent on an excess of antlerless tags still on the sell table on the third Monday of last December '21. That high powered center-fire rifles were allowed weapons, normally taboo in Iowa deer seasons, motivated us all the more.

We purchased tags in NE Iowa, a special place known as the Driftless region, nestled up like good cleavage, if I can be a little crude, to SE Minnesota and SW Wisconsin. The country is more like what you might find in PA or WV. The steep hills and hollows are more like the Alleghenies than the rolling prairies of most of Iowa.

We still hunted in arguably the most rugged terrain in Iowa, in the snow; in a winter wonderland. The public area we hunted was off limits to snow machines and ATVs; and of course, someone had to kill his deer in the interior, on a mini cliff. It was a 2 mile drag back to a road. No, IA DNR won't let us quick quarter. This hunt brought back fond memories of hunting in the PA Mtns, when I was 30 yrs younger. What a kick ass way to get past the winter blues? Here it is, my 'micro elk' from the 'micro canyons' of Iowa:
IMG_20220117_152900_3.jpg

IMG_20220117_131938_2.jpg

Once again, thanks to my wife & kids for letting me go derelict for a few days this week! Thanks to Speer, Alliant, Burris, Danner, Winchester, Leupold, Sig, Harris, IA DNR, and, of course, Eastman's! Go Team!

Last edited: