2021 Hunting Success Thread

Well, for the second year my intention was to shoot a Wyoming muley with an iron sighted Savage 99. This year, I brought the '59 99F in .250Sav. But this year's drought had the sage and Greasewood stunted so badly that it offered no cover for a stalk and shot within 150. Plus the muleys had multiple problems this year, and were pretty much absent. I had to resort to plan B, and switch focus to whitetails. I was forced to go back to the Kimber again this year. It's a boringly accurate and reliable killer.....but it's not a 99. I was targeting a huge main frame 10 with stickers and junk everywhere. I saw him 3 days in a row through the spotter, but ran out of light before he was within my comfort zone. Shitty weather was forecast with heavy snow and 30-40mph winds starting on 10/12 and lasting till the end of my hunt. On 10/11, this guy showed up with about 5 minutes of light left at 230 yards. The 7-08 turned his lungs to jelly and split his heart in half. He fell in his tracks and never moved. In the few minutes it took us to walk out to him, it was full pitch dark when we reached him. Still sitting in camp today, looking out at the snow and wind. Wyoming is an incredible place to hunt, and I had a blast again this year. But, she'll have to wait another year to hear, " the spiteful crack of the 250 Sav". Good luck to all this season.

EDIT: It really was full dark when we took photos. These phone cameras are amazing in their ability to gather light where seemingly, there is NONE to be had.123_1(2).jpeg

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
A couple of weeks ago the flood gates finally opened. After a tough couple of months of being out there off and on, fighting crowds of people and seeing few animals, things came together for my son in his antelope and me with my elk just a few days apart.
Love the elk pic - well done

Reactions: THelms

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
That's a heck of a nice Cous buck. Nice work. They are on my list.
Thanks Eagle Mtn.,
They are fun to hunt for sure. I think you'll have a blast. I went for years saying I need to go try hunting Coues and Javelina, but kept putting it off. Then a few years back I finally went for it. Now with a few Javelina and my second Coues under my belt, it's became part of my regular out of state rotation that I only wish I would have started back when a guy could draw the late hunts easier. As it is, I just figure I'll hunt easier to draw hunts and work hard , because I"m to old to wait so many years to draw these days :).
:) :) I just got a successful notice for Spring Javelina, so it looks like God willing, I'll be headed back to AZ in February!

Reactions: eaglemountainman

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I had hoped to be able to add to it with a few more Whitetails but so far things are not going to plan. I need better cooperation....lol

Reactions: gonhunting247

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I like it. There are more days between seasons to give the area and animals a rest and easier to find a camping spot with the hunters from the previous season clearing out earlier.

Reactions: Slugz

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook