Opening The Can Of Worms...Coronavirus...

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I know it is a real disease and people are dying , what I don't buy into is the idea that any more are dying then any other year in my lifetime.

sure there is a potential they "might /could ". same can be said in any given year .

just can not wrap my mind around the panic. has our society really become nothing but chicken littles who cower at the mere thought of any ailment??????????? it appears we have.
the number of dead , while tragic is really pretty darn low , when compared to # who have got it .and number infected is pretty darn low when compared to # of people on the planet. heck more die from abortion ,then this disease!!!!
but I digress.
Unfortunately, this one is not about the number of deaths. If you get it and die, you are not part of the problem. The problem is that if you get it and DON'T die, you might take up a hospital bed. The hospitals are getting overwhelmed at an alarming rate. So the real effort is focused at keeping people from getting it as there is not way of predicting who will and will not be hospitalized. The older you are and the more existing medical issues you have, the more you are apt to be hospitalized.

Reactions: kidoggy
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Well I have mostly no opinion on what or who is to blame all of that will be rehashed by everyone for years to come. But I think several things will change in the nation big time. In general...science will take a leap forward in the eyes of the nation. Theories doubting the moon landing ,
proponents of a flat earth, and anti vaxers will lose the steam they have generated. National heath care will become more popular with the nation as a whole. Manufacturing will return to the USA in some form or at least companies will be punished for shipping jobs offshore. Just -in-time manufacturing won't go away but there will be more Just-in Case warehouses. And stuff made here will cost more. One thing that the leader's are guilty of is not acting quickly and forcefully to get people to go home. The decisions to go ahead with Mardi-Gras and spring break clearly show a lack of Stones , and I feel a lack of a tough directed leadership from Washington sent a half assed message to stupid horny college students. If Washington or the Governor had called out the cops or the National Guard, shut the hotels and bars and say sorry kids GO HOME NOW they would have or at least many would have. I think public health can be used to cut thru a LOT of red tape. YEAH some times you have to give up some freedom for the good of your nation. On the whole though most Americans are staying home and keeping safe. I think overall the people are doing a great job dealing with this and it's going to get worse. RED OR BLUE....IT'S LOOKING 4 YOU.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
it really makes no difference who is to blame.
for folks who want to play the blame game,here it is in a simple ,truthful ,nutshell...........
A FREE NATIONS LEADERS REFLECT WHAT THE PEOPLE ARE!
if we have incompitant leaders it is only because we have incompitant voters.

it's easy to second guess the leadership in hindsight but the plain truth is, there is not a single elected official who would have done any better and most would have been much ,much worse!

I do expect our readiness to combat these things will be better. our response won't be .
hopefully, manufacturing will return . it really depends on who takes the Whitehouse and congress.
conspiracy theories will triple.

when crisis is over , same people who were calling for open borders before will continue doing so.
for sure ,things will cost more .
people will continue to care only for self gratification , regardless of who it hurts.( that, I have zero doubt, will continue to get worse and worse.)

those who are fortunate enough to die will probably end up being the lucky ones.

and that is me being optimistic!

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My family was notified last night we have to quarantine for 14 days due to a potential close contact. The individual was following all recommendations to a tee. He started feeling bad Friday and had a lot grade fever yesterday. Did a drive up test that was negative for the flu so he is assumed positive. They said he and anyone he has had contact with should quarantine for 14 days. No covid-19 test will be done unless he later needs hospitalization. After seeing first hand how this is currently handled, I guarantee the numbers being reported are way off.
My friend is 60 and in good health. To this point he said it's like a bad cold. I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am sure that there are likely millions of us who have or had the Civid-19 virus and either didn't know it or thought it was the flu. 24 of us went to Idaho for a week long snowmobile outing. About 8 of us flew (mostly from MN, one from Fla.), and the rest drove. We stayed in two large houses, but ate communally. One by one we started getting sick, starting mostly with the guys who had flown. The first guy was down with what was clearly a 24 hour stomach flu, but the others were a knock you on your ass week long version.
I woke up early on the morning that I had to drive home solo, and was feeling like crap. Low grade fever, severe body aches everywhere,
upper respiratory congestion, cough. I was in a motel and in bed by 5:30 each day. My drive home started on Feb. 2nd when the virus was already here, but before the national awareness.
Only two of the guys from the first house came away with a light dose, and the second house mostly got theirs after they got back home.
I was told by the clinic that I called that there were two different flus going around, but I never did go in to see anyone. It was almost 3 weeks before feeling somewhat normal again.
I am not going to stand in line to be tested, but in a few months when the antibody test is more available, perhaps everyone should be tested to see just how widespread this was, and how much this will protect us from the second wave.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
sorry to hear that hilltop will say some prayers for you and yours. just found out I have a brother is same situation. he is saved and will be fine , regardless of outcome.

Reactions: Hilltop

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I will see if I can dig up the article and do my best to verify the sources before I post it, but let this number sink in for a while. 600,000 people traveled between the U.S. and China from the time that China knew about the virus until the point where they made a public announcement about it. That number alone gives me pause every time that I look at the now famous trackers telling us how many people are sick, the antibody test is going to be the tell tale after all of this is over.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I will see if I can dig up the article and do my best to verify the sources before I post it, but let this number sink in for a while. 600,000 people traveled between the U.S. and China from the time that China knew about the virus until the point where they made a public announcement about it. That number alone gives me pause every time that I look at the now famous trackers telling us how many people are sick, the antibody test is going to be the tell tale after all of this is over.
I have no doubt ricmic is correct in his above assessment.

fly.png

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I found an interesting chart ranking Covid-19 deaths vs other pandemics. Obviously Covid deaths will increase, but the question is how high?
Back in 1993 Spent 6 weeks in Baja where I met a surfer who was quite close to the Hollywood image. I told him I had never been on a real surfboard but that I assumed it was a lot like snow skiing. He said in his Sean Penn voice....Yeah man it's just like that ....only the mountain's moving too. That's what makes it hard to predict how many people will die within virus ...the mountain is moving too. the more we clamp down and do the social distancing thing the fewer people will die. Right now the total looks to be 100,000 to 2,000,000, here in the USA. I would assume places like India will get hit hard. But I would not care to put out a number.

Reactions: Winchester
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
We won’t know for at least 3 years the total damages of this thing. Herd immunity may take a while if we can’t find a vaccine soon.
This will take years to understand we are totally unprepared for something like this and we don't have the team to play catch up. Sounds lie a vaccine is 10 months away. The only way out of this is government mandated and funded research.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
there was a doctor on the news last night out of san Francisco claiming to have a cure.

I am skeptical wether it is true or not but could be????????

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I dont know if this was posted yet, but I found this video a good listen. If anything it does show that this virus is beatable and gives us all hope.

Wash your hands with a grease cutting agent like dawn dish soap in hot water. Stop touching your face.

It wont play here so just click the link.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
of coarse it's beatable.

that is the one thing that drives me crazy. it seems like everyone thinks to get it is automatically a death sentence.

one report I watched claimed 25% of people who do get it ,will never even know they were sick.
so... assuming everyone on the planet gets it(they won't) that is roughly two billion people who won't even know they were sick.

I"ve never been lucky with lotteries ..so I like the odds.

Covid 19 coronavirus: 101 year-old Italian man becomes ...
www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12320686

Last edited:

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
It's important to bear in mind when comparing this vs historical pandemics is that in the past there was no real way to treat things. In the case of the Spanish flu that killed 10% of people who caught it and 3% of the world population, they didn't have ventilators and didn't have antibiotics to treat the pneumonia cases that often followed. While early death rates for COVID looked pretty bad, as testing has become more widespread, and we find that most cases are mild, the rate is decreasing significantly. The latest numbers I can find indicate that only 5% of active COVID-19 cases are in serious condition, because we have ventilators and life support devices as well as greater experience in treating respiratory illnesses, hopefully a majority of those people will make it through.

Even though the numbers don't seem worthy of widespread panic, we shouldn't take this stuff lightly either. The first person in my town to get it was a healthy 42 year old, he is still on life support. Here's a link to a news story about it: https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/still-fighting-for-his-life-42-year-old-utahn-battles-coronavirus-on-life-support