Okay I drew a tag in Elk Unit 45 in WY now what?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Plenty of great help here, even by some who can be a bit gruff in the beginning. However, please keep in mind the draw systems out west are changing and lowering opportunities drastically so many are being careful what information gets posted in the wide open for all to see. If 90/10 for deer elk and antelope passes, competition will be extreme so information sharing will become even more guarded.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You are mistaken. I am not the OP. I was sticking up for the OP who was knocked for asking for advise/help. I think the OP said it quite well in a later post.“if you don’t have something nice to say then say nothing“ .
If a newcomer can't come on and ask for help....than where can he go? I guess it is like The Man from Snowy River around here. You need to put your time in down in the low land before you are able to live on the mountain. Pulease!!!
BTW the real OP only joined a 3 weeks ago and as of right now only has 11 posts. Most of them coming from this thread.
I guess all newcomers should be aware of the rules of the monarchy around here before asking questions.
Nope I was speaking of you and your post, that why I quoted it and you are the OP of it. He got quite a bit of advice and another thing none of use know is how many posted to him in a PM. The other thing I didn't see is anything from you as far as answering any of his questions.

Reactions: Winchester

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Plenty of great help here, even by some who can be a bit gruff in the beginning. However, please keep in mind the draw systems out west are changing and lowering opportunities drastically so many are being careful what information gets posted in the wide open for all to see. If 90/10 for deer elk and antelope passes, competition will be extreme so information sharing will become even more guarded.
Not a matter of if but when. Maybe Buzz can give us an update; I think there is lots of stuff going on right now regarding 90/10 for E/D/A. Sounds like the WYOGA is fighting to get 50% of the non-resident tags which of course leaves the NR DIY guys with 5% of tags.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
You wont find a more respectful helpful group on the interweb than here. Make the same post over on RS and get ready for the flaming. Everyone usually helps every one however, its a two way street.

You get a lot more info/help when you participate and offer your expertise/experience. Its all about the words typed and tone. I notice you are looking to rent a camp also. That raises flags and people wonder the actual experience hunting in the big mountains that you bring to the table.

" Anyone willing to share their experience in Unit 45 would be very appreciated!!!"

The above come across as flippant. You may have gotten a better initial reaction with a post like this as it shows you put in the time already and can offer something in return.

Hello all, New guy here. I was able to draw unit 45 this year in WY with XX points as a non resident in the special/regular. I have boots on the ground intel ( via a friend) but would like to share/compare info/ stories/notes of my research via pm please. I wont be able to go archery just rifle so my research has me focused in that time frame. I've talked with the biologist and compared notes with my buddy who lives there. I've hunted ( insert states here) and can offer help in the following hunt areas or GMUs. I've read the elk management plan for that area and the comments of the animals going to private causes me some concern.

Welcome to Eastmans.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado

Give that a read also.

Reactions: marcusvdk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Some good sensibilities being shared across the board here.

Hilltop hit the nail on the head. I would say for non-residents, competition for tags is already extreme. About 4 yrs ago, as that reality was sinking in for me, I made the decision to try to never talk about specific units, ever, openly. I can't say I always honor that promise to myself, since I have a big mouth, but the tags are just so hard to get, the investment in time and treasure to get out west is so high, that's it's just not wise. Like they said in WWII, ' Loose lips sink ships '. General information I'm less guarded about. Privately, sure; if I get to know someone and they contribute to making this forum a community of hunters.

Back to 45. In 2019 I hunted deer between Tensleep and Hyattville. I saw elk. All the elk I saw were on private land, with 3 trucks of hunters staring at them dumbfounded, trying to figure their next move. I did see a couple elk carcasses on trailers at the gas station in Tensleep, so someone knows how to get on them. The tags on those trailers were all WY residents. If it gets cold and snowy up high, like many places, they'll get pushed down lower; sometimes they'll bunch up on private ranches in that process. Honestly, as has been already said, if you have a rancher friend in Hyattville, you should be set for Intel. I would leverage that friendship and make friends with his friends over the summer, and get access to private land up there, if and when those elk get pushed down low. Just my $.02.

If you're hunting early during the rut, go up high in the forest, call one in; and have some buddies help you pack it out.

Last edited:

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
Some good sensibilities being shared across the board here.

Hilltop hit the nail on the head. I would say for non-residents, competition for tags is already extreme. About 4 yrs ago, as that reality was sinking in for me, I made the decision to try to never talk about specific units, ever, openly. I can't say I always honor that promise to myself, since I have a big mouth, but the tags are just so hard to get, the investment in time and treasure to get out west is so high, that's it's just not wise. Like they said in WWII, ' Loose lips sink ships '. General information I'm less guarded about. Privately, sure; if I get to know someone and they contribute to making this forum a community of hunters.

Back to 45. In 2019 I hunted deer between Tensleep and Hyattville. I saw elk. All the elk I saw were on private land, with 3 trucks of hunters staring at them dumbfounded, trying to figure their next move. I did see a couple elk carcasses on trailers at the gas station in Tensleep, so someone knows how to get on them. The tags on those trailers were all WY residents. If it gets cold and snowy up high, like many places, they'll get pushed down lower; sometimes they'll bunch up on private ranches in that process. Honestly, as has been already said, if you have a rancher friend in Hyattville, you should be set for Intel. I would leverage that friendship and make friends with his friends over the summer, and get access to private land up there, if and when those elk get pushed down low. Just my $.02.

If you're hunting early during the rut, go up high in the forest, call one in; and have some buddies help you pack it out.
Thanks I appreciate your input! And we are working on the private land!

Reactions: Bonecollector

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
congratulations!
How was the hunt overall? Would you return? i was able to hunt 38 last year and really had a fun trip.

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
congratulations!
How was the hunt overall? Would you return? i was able to hunt 38 last year and really had a fun trip.
it was great! However it was very unusual for me… we had done our homework scouting and it paid off on day#1 of my hunt. I’ve never been so fortunate to be successful on the first day in place that I’ve never actually hunted, so the good lord, and great friends (2 live locally to the area that had things figured out. So yes without question I would go back! But it tookme 14 years to draw the tag and I’m hopeful that I have 14 more years (currently 62) of elk hunting in me…

Any grip and grin pics from your Unit 38 hunt?