Okay I drew a tag in Elk Unit 45 in WY now what?

robiland

Feb 24, 2014
Utah
Go scout the unit. Learn the area, find areas to get away from the people. Hunt hard. Shoot the 1st bull you see that you like. Dont be picky. I had the tag about 7 years ago. A LOT has changed since then. Not near the quality or quantity as there was back then. IT has gone down hill faster than Biden's approval ratings. I have been there 3 times since my hunt in 2015. And each year/time it was harder and harder and less and less elk each time. However, it is hunting. IT IS AN AMAZING place though. Reports that I have seen says the elk move fast to private once the hunt starts. I hunted over by Painted Rock area. I honestly dont know that I would apply for that unit again if I had the points to draw. We saw lots of bears. We saw more deer the last time than we did the previous times combined, which was not much. So dont get too excited about that.

Good luck. I hope things change back to more elk and better quality.

Reactions: bux4brainz

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
why do folks put in for areas they know nothing about?
Thanks for the great feedback! My best hunting buddy has a small ranch near Hyattville and knows the area and the elk well, so hopefully that will pay off! However your advice and personal experience is exactly what I was hoping for versus some of the nonsense responses below. I was just trying to garner conversation about an upcoming hunt with folks that have something positive to offer.

We are looking to rent a wall tent and the fixings - any ideas or experience with that in Unit 45?

Reactions: kidoggy

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I think the title is what is got people to respond the way they did. It makes it look like you just threw an app in for a high point area and now don't know what the next steps are for a successful hunt.

If you have a friend who knows it well, then it sounds like you're way ahead of the curve. I have no experience in the area, but I wish you the best of luck. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: kidoggy

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
I think the title is what is got people to respond the way they did. It makes it look like you just threw an app in for a high point area and now don't know what the next steps are for a successful hunt.

If you have a friend who knows it well, then it sounds like you're way ahead of the curve. I have no experience in the area, but I wish you the best of luck. Welcome to the forum.
Yep your assessment makes sense, but really…

Reactions: ScottR

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
I always thought this was a site where fellow hunters helped each other. Not where when you ask for help or advise you get nothing but snarky and rude feed back.
Good luck with your hunt Rlshrumva. Hope you kill a big bull.
Thanks that’s exactly what I thought as a brand new user, but I still believe that most folks want to help. You are living proof!!

Reactions: Hatchet Jack

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I always thought this was a site where fellow hunters helped each other. Not where when you ask for help or advise you get nothing but snarky and rude feed back.
Don’t expect that here or any other site. I asked and never got any help. You are on your own, good luck but check out the Wyoming Hunter Planner

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Buddy from Minnesota drew it in random this year, think his brother had it last and his 83 yr old dad the year before, both his brother and dad were successful. He said he’s gonna spend a little more time this year looking for a good one!! Congrats on the draw and look forward to see how it pans out !!
No personal experience in that unit to pass along !!

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
Don’t expect that here or any other site. I asked and never got any help. You are on your own, good luck but check out the Wyoming Hunter Planner
Not true at all. I have been on lots of sites including this one where people have been extremely courteous and helpful.
However by the looks of this thread with your posts included things have changed for the worst around here.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Not true at all. I have been on lots of sites including this one where people have been extremely courteous and helpful.
However by the looks of this thread with your posts included things have changed for the worst around here.
itis not that people won't help . there are plenty here who will. I have helped plenty of folks over the years .
but I tend to avoid helping first time posters seeking help.
I have to determine first wether or not I deem them worthy of my efforts because , to be perfectly frank, the majority are not.

I do wish you the best on your hunt though.
and hopefully you find the help you seek.
I also hope, if you do , that you also have the courtesy to follow up with some pics.
most newbies will not bother.

stick around and contibute to the site and i reckon you'll probably do the same in time.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
It's not that people dont want to help, but year after year people join the forum and ask for help on their first post and then never return. Stick around and youll get some help. Ive never hunted elk, but I did deer hunt that elk unit a few years ago. I saw one solitary elk the few days I was there and it was at night. It was a nice bull though. Good luck

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Lots of comments about this forum, some by folks who don't participate much. This post is a good example. The OP has only posted 52 times in the 4 years he has been a member. If he logs on and watches around here, seems like he could have helped some too. I am not usually too negative about members, but there are lots of members who have spent lots of time helping people who have asked for and needed help. Lots of members have given advice and some even detailed information about hunting spots they know about. I have hunted some great areas in my 80 years on this planet and some of them I will never be able to hunt again because of my age and the years it take to accumulate enough points to hunt them again. I have traded information about some of these via PM to other members whom I trust, but I have never met in person.

Things have not changed a lot here, but people need to participate, not just read and log off.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I have a long list of people who have helped me on this forum. Help seems to come way easier on this forum than most. I even had people offer to loan me gear when a hunting partner backed out on me 6 days before a hunt. For all those people I'm truly grateful.

I really do hope you have a great hunt. If you stick around, I'm sure someone with personal experience in the unit will chime in. I might be PMing you next year! That's one of the areas I've been eyeing as well but I'm a couple points short of drawing.

Are you planning to archery hunt then return for rifle if you need to?

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
I have a long list of people who have helped me on this forum. Help seems to come way easier on this forum than most. I even had people offer to loan me gear when a hunting partner backed out on me 6 days before a hunt. For all those people I'm truly grateful.

I really do hope you have a great hunt. If you stick around, I'm sure someone with personal experience in the unit will chime in. I might be PMing you next year! That's one of the areas I've been eyeing as well but I'm a couple points short of drawing.

Are you planning to archery hunt then return for rifle if you need to?
Please feel free to check in with me anytime. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough time to archery hunt then go back if unsuccessful for rifle, I wish I could.

So I’m not sure how I solve being new... however I have had some very kind words & offers from many members already - I guess time in the saddle isn’t as important to some. My feeling is “if you don’t have something nice to say then say nothing“ - even with the negative comments I’m positive that I will hear from many more that will want to help. Goodness always wins. Thanks

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
Lots of comments about this forum, some by folks who don't participate much. This post is a good example. The OP has only posted 52 times in the 4 years he has been a member. If he logs on and watches around here, seems like he could have helped some too. I am not usually too negative about members, but there are lots of members who have spent lots of time helping people who have asked for and needed help. Lots of members have given advice and some even detailed information about hunting spots they know about. I have hunted some great areas in my 80 years on this planet and some of them I will never be able to hunt again because of my age and the years it take to accumulate enough points to hunt them again. I have traded information about some of these via PM to other members whom I trust, but I have never met in person.

Things have not changed a lot here, but people need to participate, not just read and log off.
You are mistaken. I am not the OP. I was sticking up for the OP who was knocked for asking for advise/help. I think the OP said it quite well in a later post.“if you don’t have something nice to say then say nothing“ .
If a newcomer can't come on and ask for help....than where can he go? I guess it is like The Man from Snowy River around here. You need to put your time in down in the low land before you are able to live on the mountain. Pulease!!!
BTW the real OP only joined a 3 weeks ago and as of right now only has 11 posts. Most of them coming from this thread.
I guess all newcomers should be aware of the rules of the monarchy around here before asking questions.