So...What are your plans for 2021?

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Originally was going to buy an OTC elk A tag in ID but it sold out quickly. Most likely I will continue to apply for NM archery elk, wait for results, apply everything NV, wait for results, then limited entry ID elk if NM or NV do not come through. Been wanting to hunt whitetail for a few years now but going at it alone I haven't gotten the cajones to go somewhere.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Original plans were Deer and Antelope in Wyoming with my daughter, but with all the comments about the poor antelope numbers I am having second thoughts. Either going to stick to plan A or possibly have my son skip a couple weeks of college and burn up his Wyoming Elk PPs.

Reactions: Maxhunter

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
The only definites for me are Indiana turkey and whitetail, like every year. Aside from that, my plans always look like a poster-sized flowchart of scenarios depending on draws, hunting partners, family plans, etc. Oftentimes by fall, my actual schedule looks nothing like my tentative plans looked back in early application season.

The things that seem most likely right now are a hog hunt in Oklahoma, tagging along and calling/packing on a Wyoming general archery elk hunt, and giving Kansas firearms season a try (I normally like early ML, but it conflicts with the elk hunt).

If I am lucky in any long-shot draws in Wyoming, Arizona, or New Mexico I'll have to manipulate the calendar to make them work.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Any specific target species?
I want a warthog big time. I didn't see any that were worth shooting on my first trip except for one and he disappeared when he walked into a bunch of brush.

I just may purchase a package deal for 7 days and 10 animals which includes a warthog and 5 cull animals. That package runs $5000 US. Then there are always the other animals that are not in the package that you can shoot just for a trophy fee. I already have 6 trophies that include kudu, springbok, black wildebeast, gemsbok, and a impala. The package that I am looking at also includes most of the animals that I already have but I can shoot a blue wildebeast which would make a nice euro. Any of the others that I might shoot will also be turned into euros except for the warthog. I was also thinking about perhaps a baboon.

Here is the safari operators web site if you want to look it over.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gooseapalooza / Colorado and Kansas
High mountain fishing trip for lake trout and brookies / Colorado
Caribou, wolfe, artic char / Alaska
Ducks / Colorado
Put in for limited entry archery elk / Colorado
Put in for deer/elk / moose / antelope points / Colorado Wyoming
Pick up a 2nd draw or leftover elk tag / Colorado

Start to plan a DIY moose hunt / Alaska

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I want a warthog big time. I didn't see any that were worth shooting on my first trip except for one and he disappeared when he walked into a bunch of brush.

I just may purchase a package deal for 7 days and 10 animals which includes a warthog and 5 cull animals. That package runs $5000 US. Then there are always the other animals that are not in the package that you can shoot just for a trophy fee. I already have 6 trophies that include kudu, springbok, black wildebeast, gemsbok, and a impala. The package that I am looking at also includes most of the animals that I already have but I can shoot a blue wildebeast which would make a nice euro. Any of the others that I might shoot will also be turned into euros except for the warthog. I was also thinking about perhaps a baboon.

Here is the safari operators web site if you want to look it over.

I need to seriously consider this. I'm already on this side of the world 6 times a year as it is. Maybe just divert south one time.

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You really need to look at it. You will find just how pampered a hunter can be on a safari hunt.

The person who invited me sets up hunts for those who have never been to Africa before. He is as close to being a booking agent as you can get without actually being one.

The outfitters camp is around 50 miles to the east of where I hunted in 2015 and from what I understand he controls a lot more acreage. Also he has access to other farms to hunt, but then pretty much all the safari operators have that kind of access.

The more that I think about it I believe that this coming spring I will book a hunt for June of 2022. Let the countdown begin...

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Hunts
MT general season elk (Coming Home to Hunt tag).
CO limited entry deer. Going to cash in this year due to the season structure changes. I've got an eye on a couple units that require a couple points less than I currently have.

Maybe if I get incredibly lucky
NM elk, deer, oryx, barbary sheep
UT everything
AZ elk and deer
WY elk, deer, antelope

Points only for CO elk

Reactions: LCH

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
All the Nevada hunts i can, not sure about a couple of my waiting periods.

Idaho moose app

Fishing
Pyramid lake cut throats
Mountain lakes
2 trips to the coast at Eureka Ca
Hopefully the tuna are in labor day and salmon in june

Cabo in February to just chill and eat tacos

2 rafting trips booked

And tag along on any trips i can at least as camp cook

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
All the Nevada hunts i can, not sure about a couple of my waiting periods.

Idaho moose app

Fishing
Pyramid lake cut throats
Mountain lakes
2 trips to the coast at Eureka Ca
Hopefully the tuna are in labor day and salmon in june

Cabo in February to just chill and eat tacos

2 rafting trips booked

And tag along on any trips i can at least as camp cook
seems like the tag along is my go to hunt move most years . everyone I know draws the tags I put in for . couple family members have drawn 4 times and me natta. startin to feel like I am being punished. :D

oh well , at least I remain dumb enough to enjoy being the pack mule.

good news is , if I ever manage to draw the tag I am learning the unit pretty well and know exactly where to find the elk.(big bulls)

past few years they have hung in pretty much the same area as they get very little pressure there

Last edited: