SURVIVAL Situations - What would you like to learn from Fieldcraft Survival

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey gents, I recently had some time to hunt with a couple of the guys from Fieldcraft Survival. Through social media I met Mike Glover, their owner and you have probably seen his name in the journals talking survival and he has also appeared on Eastmans' Elevated.

My question to all of you is this, what survival topics do you feel are the most important to address for the hunter and even more specifically the western hunter like ourselves?

For instance, proper application of a tourniquet. Most hunters would be up a creek because they don't even have one with them. And many who do probably have never been properly trained on how to use one.

Let's hear them!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Might sound weird but I have always thought about a broken leg/ankle. What the heck does a solo guy do 2+ miles in when that happens? I am really careful but it has almost happened a couple of time to me over the last 30 years.

Reactions: DRUSS and kidoggy

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Might sound weird but I have always thought about a broken leg/ankle. What the heck does a solo guy do 2+ miles in when that happens? I am really careful but it has almost happened a couple of time to me over the last 30 years.
Absolutely agree, that would be a mess.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
What my wife did fishing was: got it done. She was solo and had waders and bola lace boots with a wading staff. Broke her fibia just above the ankle. This was june 1st. IT was her right leg. She cranked the boa system down on her wading boot, and picked up her right leg by the waders and put it in front of her, and repeat until up the hill. she did use her wading staff as a crutch. Took her an hour to get to her truck to drive to where she could call me. Then i took her to my ankle doctor and she had surgery the next day. 9 screws and a plate.

I have been injured alot in my life. Keeping a calm cool and collected thought process is the key.

Reactions: kidoggy

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
What my wife did fishing was: got it done. She was solo and had waders and bola lace boots with a wading staff. Broke her fibia just above the ankle. This was june 1st. IT was her right leg. She cranked the boa system down on her wading boot, and picked up her right leg by the waders and put it in front of her, and repeat until up the hill. she did use her wading staff as a crutch. Took her an hour to get to her truck to drive to where she could call me. Then i took her to my ankle doctor and she had surgery the next day. 9 screws and a plate.

I have been injured alot in my life. Keeping a calm cool and collected thought process is the key.
That is a tough injury and one tough lady to get out of that situation!

Reactions: tim

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
craaawwll.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I have a friend in Cody whose buddy drew a bighorn sheep tag in grizzly. He was bowhunting solo and shot a ram. He was packing out and fell and broke his leg. He had no cell service and crawled about a mile on his belly. He finally got cell service and my friend and some other guys came and helped him out this was after dark and he had blood on him. He's very lucky he didn't get mauled.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I’d like to learn about how to best handle a poisonous snake bite. I’ve never given it much thought but probably should.

Maybe how to handle one for a hunting dog also.
[/QUOTE

above all else , remain calm. keeping your heart rate low as possible is your best bet.snake-bite-info.jpeg sucking out poison is an old wives tale. if your wearing any rings watch ,bracelet .... get it off before swelling makes this impossible.
when swelling does start if you have a sharpie . mark the swelling and the time so emergency personel might later determine rate of spread. best case, call for help if that is not possible and you MUST walk out as only option, go ahead and do so but do your best to keep heart rate down

when we were kids my brothers and I used to joke about sucking out poison . someone asked what do you do if the bite is on your peter ? it was unanimous.

YOUSE GUNNA DIE! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Winchester

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
how about when to use the 911 botton and when not to use the 911 button on the spot or inreach devices.

my wife did not hit the 911 button, due to fear it would take to long for help to show up.

Reactions: Bonecollector

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have taught "personal preparedness", and wilderness survival via community education, firearms and snowmobile safety, and guided in the US and Canada wilderness for 7 summers. My mantra is what I call the "7 P's"; Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Expect that the worst can happen, and prepare for that by having the proper equipment, clothing, and training. Everyone should take a first aide class, and preferably a wilderness class such as the certified Wilderness First Responder (approx. 40 hours).
Articles in hunting and sporting magazines can cover things better than a general discussion on a forum. I have found most of the so called reality shows don't offer much practical advice for me, but some do display just how much mental toughness is an important element.

Last edited:

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Could do a foraging section. On like what plants are good to eat and what arent. if your stuck out there for longer and run low on food.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I think the most important piece of equipment to use is a satellite communicator to get in touch with the outside world in case of an emergency. The second most important piece is a solar charger battery pack.

The rest of the gear in your pack is simply semantics IMHO.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I think the most important piece of equipment to use is a satellite communicator to get in touch with the outside world in case of an emergency. The second most important piece is a solar charger battery pack.

The rest of the gear in your pack is simply semantics IMHO.
Agreed. The most important survival purchase you will ever make.