List your favorite game processors here

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
I usually cut up my own, but this past year I had the pleasure of meeting Tom who with Stanton's in Albany, OR and I was hooked. He is a friend of a friend that we ended up up elk hunting with and he brought some pepperoni and jerky that was off the charts, then he made the elk into regular cuts, summer sausage and beer dogs that were extremely addicting. He is a great guy and I look forward to future hunts with him as well as some awesome snacks.

I am not sure where in Albany he is, as he was over here in eastern oregon and he took the meat back with him and delivered it back while he was back bird hunting.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Douglas , Wyoming
Herrick & Garrison Wild Game Processing & Taxidermy
115.Hwy. 59 By-pass
Douglas WY. 82633
307-351-1777 or Plant # 3-7-358-3340

I have not used them in about 3-4 years but the times I have they did a good job.
They even once did a rush job so we could leave out the next day at no charge !!
They closed up shop in 2015. I know the family personally. You are correct they did a great job.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Fischer's Market and Hess Meats in Muenster, TX. Every year we take meat down for sausage. Fischer's has a set up you can watch from the store. We also buy their seasonings and make our own if we can't get down there. Fischer's has a USDA inspector on site , Hess has state inspectors as of right now. Any kind of sausage you want made along with general processing. Prepare to stand in line during the holidays.

Reactions: TexElkHunter817

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Me and my wife are my favorites. Hahaha. I find processing my own meat to be as rewarding as the hunt itself. We cut out meat in steaks, burger, jerky, heck we even save the bones for broth and stews.

We also make our own pepperoni sticks and summer sausage. It's actually quite easy. My lady she is the brains behind this operation.

We use a safer option than salt peter it's some type of nitrate , we turn our meat into the mixture and load it into the meat grinder with sausage attachment and start feeding the meat into the pepperoni or sausage casings. You need two people for this, stuffing the cases to the right firmness is the hard part.

Then finish in the smoker. We can have a load of customized pepperoni sticks in one day. You can save a lot of money doing it yourself.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Henderson's in Urie came highly recommenced to us, and they did an excellent job on a Moose in 14. They have a shop in Green River I believe, if that one takes wild game, I am sure it is equally good.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
mtn home idaho .
phil the butcher --208-587-6537
pretty much just a basic cut and wrap (steaks ,burger ,roasts)but he does a good job. for those in a hurry ,he seldom takes more then one day.

greenleaf idaho
greenleaf meat packing.... 208-454-016 awesome jerky and sausage, pepperoni sticks

Last edited:

memtb

Not an answer to your question, but, something that all may find interesting ....if not “mind boggling”! Quite a few years ago we met an out of state hunter, that hunted several states prior to going back home. He was in a van, loaded with all of his gear......plus cases of canning jars and canning equipment. After a kill, he would process and can all of the meat......then move on to his next hunt! That man was dedicated and perhaps the ultimate “prepper”! memtb

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Not an answer to your question, but, something that all may find interesting ....if not “mind boggling”! Quite a few years ago we met an out of state hunter, that hunted several states prior to going back home. He was in a van, loaded with all of his gear......plus cases of canning jars and canning equipment. After a kill, he would process and can all of the meat......then move on to his next hunt! That man was dedicated and perhaps the ultimate “prepper”! memtb
First let me answer the question: ME
You have to be really careful when you are processing your meat in the field. I usually take a 5 cu ft freezer and a small generator, a vacume packer and cutting tools with me when I hunt. I will butcher, package and freeze my meat at camp when I can. Many years ago I got a ticket from a Wyo Warden for not leaving evidence of sex on an edible piece of meat. I had 3 extra doe tags (deer & antelope). The warden was not to enthusiastic about me processing the meat. He said he really could not tell how many animals I had. He said I could have an extra animal all cut up and included in the freezer. I did have evidence of sex, but not on a piece of edible meat..

Just sayin................

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The way that the laws are usually written you just need the tag and evidence of sex until the animal is processed then you just need the tag. It shouldn't make any difference if the processing happens in the field or across the road at a processor.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The way that the laws are usually written you just need the tag and evidence of sex until the animal is processed then you just need the tag. It shouldn't make any difference if the processing happens in the field or across the road at a processor.
The Warden made me empty out the freezer and then he counted the packages and said he couldn't establish how many animals were in the freezer. I was working on butchering a doe deer when he came into camp and I didn't have evidence of sex on any of the meat I was working on. I guess he was splitting hairs, but I cost me $100.00 for the ticket he wrote me.. He then made me lock the freezer and he put a seal on it and told me not to put any more meat in it. We took the hinges apart later so we could open it and leave the seal intact and finished the butchering. I thought the whole deal was pretty chicken s**t. But they know you are not going to stay there and go to court to fight it. I did mention the processor procedure on the tagging, he told me I was not a licensed processing business.

Only time in 40 years hunting Wyoming I have ever had a problem with a warden.

Reactions: Winchester and JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had a local police officer write me a ticket down in Arizona one time with the presumption that I wouldn't fight it.

However he didn't know that I was going to be back in a month so I called the court and set up a court date for when I was going to be back.

The officer showed up and the judge let me explain my side of it before he dismissed the ticket along with giving the officer a good talking to in front of a packed court.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The Warden made me empty out the freezer and then he counted the packages and said he couldn't establish how many animals were in the freezer. I was working on butchering a doe deer when he came into camp and I didn't have evidence of sex on any of the meat I was working on. I guess he was splitting hairs, but I cost me $100.00 for the ticket he wrote me.. He then made me lock the freezer and he put a seal on it and told me not to put any more meat in it. We took the hinges apart later so we could open it and leave the seal intact and finished the butchering. I thought the whole deal was pretty chicken s**t. But they know you are not going to stay there and go to court to fight it. I did mention the processor procedure on the tagging, he told me I was not a licensed processing business.

Only time in 40 years hunting Wyoming I have ever had a problem with a warden.
there's always one!

Reactions: AKaviator