Opening The Can Of Worms...Coronavirus...

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
AS Jack Nicholson said ....They can't handle the truth!... I saw a woman yesterday in the market buying 4 big boxes of Pop Tarts . Yummy for sure.. but you better have rice and beans. Sidenote. used to take pop tarts in my skiff when I went digging clams. Didn't matter if they fell in the bilge or got covered with mud. They were always fresh and tasty inside those foil pouches..... I don't think she was a clam digger though

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that it is hilarious with what some people are buying everything of.

I some post on another forum where people were buying 20 gallons of milk and a shopping cart full of eggs. I went to the store this morning and they were out of eggs and were limiting milk to 3 gallons. There was quite a bit of fresh fruit but the meat display was empty. All the small packages of TP and paper towels were gone but you could buy a 30 pack of TP, and a 6 pack of paper towels.

It is strange on what people think is important.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I think that it is hilarious with what some people are buying everything of.

I some post on another forum where people were buying 20 gallons of milk and a shopping cart full of eggs. I went to the store this morning and they were out of eggs and were limiting milk to 3 gallons. There was quite a bit of fresh fruit but the meat display was empty. All the small packages of TP and paper towels were gone but you could buy a 30 pack of TP, and a 6 pack of paper towels.

It is strange on what people think is important.
I think a lot of this is very budget related. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck with very very little reserve. We are VERY close to debt free and our emergency supply is full. The only part for that drives me nuts is the formula with a newborn. Good thing he can start solids in about a month, but even then that part drives me nuts.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Same thing about ammunition. One of my friends son in California is manager of a big chain store that sells hunting stuff, guns, ammo & fishing stuff. He said almost all the ammo has been sold, most of the hand guns and lots of survival stuff. Pretty crazy for sure. Doomsday has arrived........OMG!

Reactions: Slugz

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My daughter is doing her remote learning right now. Has been for a couple days now. I am glad she is taking it seriously. Her school was offering to send the little laptops to those kids who did not have them at home. And for those without internet access they are sending a paper learning packet. I know it doesn't sound like much but its more than I expected.

In other news from my buddy in Utah: An earthquake hit Utah today and the Mormon Statue fell off the temple....

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
north 40 in cda, idaho had 22lr 1100 pack for $39.95. they had close to 40 boxes. I don't think i have ever seen so much 22lr in my life.
I bought 2 boxes. I have never bought 2200 rds of 22 before.

The scary part for me is, every state has different rules. My retail business is open as normal.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I think a lot of this is very budget related. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck with very very little reserve. We are VERY close to debt free and our emergency supply is full. The only part for that drives me nuts is the formula with a newborn. Good thing he can start solids in about a month, but even then that part drives me nuts.
This is really the only part that concerns me as well. Our baby is transitioning from breast milk to formula, and just started eating some baby foods and fruits/veggies. Bought two extra things of formula the other day, just in case... We have enough for maybe a month. I guess if we run out, she better figure out the food thing..

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
north 40 in cda, idaho had 22lr 1100 pack for $39.95. they had close to 40 boxes. I don't think i have ever seen so much 22lr in my life.
I bought 2 boxes. I have never bought 2200 rds of 22 before.

The scary part for me is, every state has different rules. My retail business is open as normal.
This was the ammo rack at an Academy sporting goods store in San Antonio on Monday. About 30 people in line to buy guns too...

Attachments

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
So strange. As if people didn't have stockpiles of ammo from the last scare!

I am so glad I cast and powdercoat .22, .30, .357 and .44 bullets and buy powder and primers in bulk. My reloading equipemnt may have been the best purchase I have ever made.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
My son was informed by the University he attends that he should check out of his dorm return home where he can complete this semester on line. He just showed up with about 48 rolls of toilet paper he had left. Back in December my wife wanted to make sure he had enough, I thought she was crazy.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Thanks for the well wishes and kind words, I wish the best for all of you also.

While I'm worried about the effects this will have on my family's ranch, I also have to remember to be thankful I grew up on it and have lived there most of my life. The lessons learned and skills gained working and playing in the outdoors make me more able to handle whatever may come than most. I have been taught to be as self sufficient as possible well before I ever reached adulthood. While I wish I'd done more to get ready for hard times, I'm still in better shape than a lot of people.

Best of luck everyone through the health and financial issues that we face.

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Same thing about ammunition. One of my friends son in California is manager of a big chain store that sells hunting stuff, guns, ammo & fishing stuff. He said almost all the ammo has been sold, most of the hand guns and lots of survival stuff. Pretty crazy for sure. Doomsday has arrived........OMG!
Yeah I hear that. I don't know what somebody does with 20 gallons of milk, that'll go bad before anybody could possibly drink it. But I do admit I bought about $300 of ammo the other day. A lot of folks would think I was crazy, prepping for a war or something. They just don't know what good rounds cost! I figure I'll shoot that just in practice over the next 2 months - which is why I got it.

I'm not shilling for them but midwayusa.com has plenty of stock. No shortages there that I know of.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
It will just be a side note in history, remembered only for the worldwide panic it caused than the death toll. (Full disclosure: I am neither a Doctor nor a fortune teller). I am 0% concerned about it at the current time.
Ditto!

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Here is a update from central Colorado = restaurants are take out only, hotels and vacation rentals are closed until May, bars are closed, kids are off school most likely until summer, barbers/stylists closed, and all ski areas closed.. No vegetables of any kind in the stores with in 30 miles of me. And yea no tp..

There is also serious and real discussion about the amount of people coming in to use the blm and USFS....It is a very real possibility that they will close USFS and BLM. I was told pretty much the only way they will be open this summer is if the virus slows down or there is a plan already to close them here in Colorado anyway.

Things are getting weird.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Here is a update from central Colorado = restaurants are take out only, hotels and vacation rentals are closed until May, bars are closed, kids are off school most likely until summer, barbers/stylists closed, and all ski areas closed.. No vegetables of any kind in the stores with in 30 miles of me. And yea no tp..

There is also serious and real discussion about the amount of people coming in to use the blm and USFS....It is a very real possibility that they will close USFS and BLM. I was told pretty much the only way they will be open this summer is if the virus slows down or there is a plan already to close them here in Colorado anyway.

Things are getting weird.
I don't think we have even gotten started. Doing everything we can we should have an idea of how bad things are going to get in 2- 3 weeks. If things start to slow down then what we are doing will be working. The numbers say most of us will weather the storm Ok but if we overtax the medical system more will die. Personally I think they should drop a couple of tanks of water from a fire fighting tanker plane on those foolish people on the beaches if Florida. We have to do out best to keep a distance.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015