The Whitetail Success Thread

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Here is one of mine a good Kansas whitetail I shot with s good friend on his place a few years back. He passed away this past spring but the memories are still alive and well. He scored just shy of 170" .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Here is my best Whitetail to date. Can any of you that are good at aging deer give me a guess as to how old he might be by pictures? Shot him the 5th of October 2016 in Wyoming!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Here is my best Whitetail to date. Can any of you that are good at aging deer give me a guess as to how old he might be by pictures? Shot him the 5th of October 2016 in Wyoming!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Looks like a young deer, 2.5 or 3.5 years old?
My uncle got a 209" 19 total score able points whitetail about 10 years ago, 3.5 years old.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Looks like a young deer, 2.5 or 3.5 years old?
My uncle got a 209" 19 total score able points whitetail about 10 years ago, 3.5 years old.
I take it his didn't come from Wyoming? I'm almost positive my buck is more like 4 to 5 years old. I was just wondering if some people who have lots of trail cameras out on food plots or wherever and know actual ages or close would be able to tell from the pics. This buck came from a general tag area on public land in Eastern Wyoming. I have hunted this area lots and most bucks are little basket racked 4 or 5 pointers that are probably the 2.5-3.5 your talking about. Just young deer. my buck had a good sized body and a fairly grey face and a decent sized neck on him for early October. The main reason i'm asking is because my buck was with another whopper of a whitetail when i shot him. I watched these 2 bucks move from where they were feeding and watched them bed down together for an hour then get up and wander over the hill for the day deeper into public land. I got a good look at both standing side by side and they seemed to be almost identical body size. I knew they weren't spooked so i didn't push the issue and hurry and catch them. I waited over 8 hours for them to feed back over the hill towards dark and head for the fields they eat at night. This was one of, if not the hardest decisions to make in my hunting career as to which one to shoot. See, the other buck with mine was a main frame 4x4 with tall long tines, not quite as wide as mine BUT he had MATCHING double drop tines on each antler that grew right below the G-2s on both sides. So he was a 6x6 with all points. I conservatively guessed the longest on each side to be 6-7 inches and the shorter on on each side to be 3-4 inches. So this buck had 9-12 inches of drop-tine length per side. I'm usaully close on my whitetail scores guessing on the hoof and i figured him to be no less than a 140 main frame 4x4 with the 4 drop tines added in he should gross in the mid 160"s that year 2016. I went and hunted the area last year a few times and never seen him or heard of a buck like this being taken as he is VERY unique with 4 matching droptines. Long story short, if he was close to the same age buck as the one i shot, would he still be alive today and not be dead. I'm guessing he would be 7yrs old this year with mild winters since 2016. I really want to find this deer and see if he is as big or bigger now. Thanks

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I take it his didn't come from Wyoming? I'm almost positive my buck is more like 4 to 5 years old. I was just wondering if some people who have lots of trail cameras out on food plots or wherever and know actual ages or close would be able to tell from the pics. This buck came from a general tag area on public land in Eastern Wyoming. I have hunted this area lots and most bucks are little basket racked 4 or 5 pointers that are probably the 2.5-3.5 your talking about. Just young deer. my buck had a good sized body and a fairly grey face and a decent sized neck on him for early October. The main reason i'm asking is because my buck was with another whopper of a whitetail when i shot him. I watched these 2 bucks move from where they were feeding and watched them bed down together for an hour then get up and wander over the hill for the day deeper into public land. I got a good look at both standing side by side and they seemed to be almost identical body size. I knew they weren't spooked so i didn't push the issue and hurry and catch them. I waited over 8 hours for them to feed back over the hill towards dark and head for the fields they eat at night. This was one of, if not the hardest decisions to make in my hunting career as to which one to shoot. See, the other buck with mine was a main frame 4x4 with tall long tines, not quite as wide as mine BUT he had MATCHING double drop tines on each antler that grew right below the G-2s on both sides. So he was a 6x6 with all points. I conservatively guessed the longest on each side to be 6-7 inches and the shorter on on each side to be 3-4 inches. So this buck had 9-12 inches of drop-tine length per side. I'm usaully close on my whitetail scores guessing on the hoof and i figured him to be no less than a 140 main frame 4x4 with the 4 drop tines added in he should gross in the mid 160"s that year 2016. I went and hunted the area last year a few times and never seen him or heard of a buck like this being taken as he is VERY unique with 4 matching droptines. Long story short, if he was close to the same age buck as the one i shot, would he still be alive today and not be dead. I'm guessing he would be 7yrs old this year with mild winters since 2016. I really want to find this deer and see if he is as big or bigger now. Thanks
I shot a main frame 5x5 whitetail down here in the SE 2 years ago that went Just over 150, biologist aged him at 7.5+, so there's a chance he's still it there.
Yes, my uncle buck was from my dad's farm back in Wisconsin. No food plots, or mineral holes, he was just a monster.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Good chance he is still alive and an even better chance he passed his genetics along to some other bucks that should be 3-5 yrs old. I would hunt that area hard fackleberry.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
West Virginia has a pretty liberal bag limit. I rarely shoot a buck here but I get a doe or two most years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This is by far my biggest whitetail to date. Nice 9 pointer with an 18" inside spread. Taken in eastern Wisconsin this past Sunday morning. We've had cameras out since May and we never had this guy on camera. So blessed to not only take such an amazing animal but to also have a full freezer.
View attachment 22634View attachment 22633View attachment 22635
Congrats!

My favorite piece of this thread is that it starts to light up as soon as the western big game seasons start to close.