Help with hanging a moose mount

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
I'm about to get my 2016 Newfoundland bull back from the taxidermist. I suspect the mount will weigh around 75 lbs. Does that sound about right? I plan to hang it above our fireplace on a wall that is sheet rock. Any advice on how to hang this thing so that it is solid?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I would use a "stud finder" and locate a wall stud as close to the location you want it. Drill a smaller hole ( 1/4") and then thread into the stud in the drilled hole a 5/16 or 3/8 lag bolt.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I helped a good friend put his up. We actually removed a small piece of drywall and then placed a horizontal 2x6 stud between two wall studs. He didn't have a stud exactly where he wanted it to hang so that may not be necessary if you do. We then patched the sheet rock (which is hidden behind his mount). His taxidermist recommended a longer 9/16" lag bolt so we drilled a 3/8" hole at a slight angle into the support stud and then screwed in the lag bolt. It took 4 of us on scaffolding to put his head up (11' high) but it has remained solid now for about 4 years. I have no clue what the actual weight was on his mount but it's a big Canada moose- I believe 53".

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
We recently hung a bull elk that was probably similar in weight. Yes, make sure you find a stud.

We had trouble climbing two ladders while holding the elk and trying to get it on the large nail we used...almost fell a couple of times. Finally went and rented scaffold for a couple of hours. That made it much easier.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
My bull moose is hanging on the wall with and 80 penny nail. It was what my taxidermist recommended, I used a std finder to locate the center of the stud and drilled at a 45 degree angle a slightly smaller hole than the nail I pounded the nail in and here he's hung for 2 years.IMG_1607.jpg

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
I'm about to get my 2016 Newfoundland bull back from the taxidermist. I suspect the mount will weigh around 75 lbs. Does that sound about right? I plan to hang it above our fireplace on a wall that is sheet rock. Any advice on how to hang this thing so that it is solid?
you do not need to find a stud, Home Depot has drywall anchors that look like a stubby, fat, tapering, aggressive screw that can bear up to 100 lbs in drywall. You install them with a Phillips screw driver. I have a mirror that weighs about 100lbs hanging on them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wouldn't trust any type of drywall anchor alone to hand anything from. I have seen way to many of them just pull out either just the anchor or taking a chunk of drywall with it. It is a lot easier to find a stud and as was mentioned above to place another piece of wood into the wall if you need to. Then you have a solid anchor.

To the OP, I would talk to the taxidermist and see what type of hanger he is placing on the mount. I have a elk that I had to use a 3/8" bolt and washer just to match the hangar. Then on a kudu, and gemsbok that I shot in Africa all I have is a deck screw.

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
Nice problem to have! Looks like some good advice here for hanging it, but do you anticipate any problems just getting it inside your house? Should be okay if you have a sliding glass door but could be trouble trying to get it in a regular door. I had an issue with a big bull elk I needed to get upstairs into the "man cave" over my garage. Wouldn't have fit through the front door and certainly wouldn't fit through the stairway anyway. Ended up needing to take out a big upstairs window and hoist the mount on top of a moving truck. Then 2 friends standing on the truck were able to hand it off through the "open" window to 2 of us inside. Worked really slick and then we just put the window back in. Good luck and enjoy the mount!

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
you do not need to find a stud, Home Depot has drywall anchors that look like a stubby, fat, tapering, aggressive screw that can bear up to 100 lbs in drywall. You install them with a Phillips screw driver. I have a mirror that weighs about 100lbs hanging on them.
These types of anchors are meant to support a downward force like a mirror. With a mount like moose or elk they have a forward weight as well that is pulling on the anchor. I would not use a drywall anchor for this. I am in construction and have seen too many of these pull out.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
These types of anchors are meant to support a downward force like a mirror. With a mount like moose or elk they have a forward weight as well that is pulling on the anchor. I would not use a drywall anchor for this. I am in construction and have seen too many of these pull out.

yep . it is pretty easy to find a stud with a finder.
mine goes off every time I touch it.:rolleyes:

seriously though, it really is much easier to do it right the first time.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My 59" Canadian moose will fit through any standard 3' entry door as long as the foyer or entry is wider than the door to allow for rotation. And you're right, they weigh at least 75#

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
Noted, thanks for the heads-up. Of course you could skip all this work and just do a full body mount right in the living room. :)

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
Like others have said, a lag bolt to a stud is your best bet. If not, I would look into toggle bolts perhaps? I have hung a ton of stuff from toggle bolts and have never had an issue, heavy or light.

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
Nice problem to have! Looks like some good advice here for hanging it, but do you anticipate any problems just getting it inside your house? Should be okay if you have a sliding glass door but could be trouble trying to get it in a regular door. I had an issue with a big bull elk I needed to get upstairs into the "man cave" over my garage. Wouldn't have fit through the front door and certainly wouldn't fit through the stairway anyway. Ended up needing to take out a big upstairs window and hoist the mount on top of a moving truck. Then 2 friends standing on the truck were able to hand it off through the "open" window to 2 of us inside. Worked really slick and then we just put the window back in. Good luck and enjoy the mount!
antlers are detachable (both sides) otherwise I could not get him in the room where I want to hang him

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My dad though the same thing with the drywall gadget..

Came home from work one day and his caribou mount was lying on the floor with both horns broken off of it. lol

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Mounted my bison, into 1 stud, using a big deck screw. Something like a 3.5 or 4", the diameters/strength go up with screw length.

May want to pre drill, with a drill smaller than the diameter of the deck screw.

btw deck screws have more shear strength than your typical drywall screw etc...

Could even use a 16d framing nail, I forget the figure, but they can hold 100 or 150lbs in shear.

good luck!

Last edited: