Help with hanging a moose mount

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I hung an elk once that slipped off the nail after it had hung for several years . points went right through a sofa bed that was under it.
hate to think what might have happened had that bed been in use when it happened.

cannot stress enough , do it right the first time!!

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Could even use a 16d framing nail, I forget the figure, but they can hold 100 or 150lbs in shear.

good luck!
I thought the same thing but it's not the shear strength that matters. I had a moose pull a 16d nail out of the stud over time. The head fell on to the couch and bounced to the floor. You need the threads of a screw to hold these things to a wall. I now use 1/4" lag bolts for everything. I have 4 Shiras moose and a buffalo hanging on lags with no problem.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I thought the same thing but it's not the shear strength that matters. I had a moose pull a 16d nail out of the stud over time. The head fell on to the couch and bounced to the floor. You need the threads of a screw to hold these things to a wall. I now use 1/4" lag bolts for everything. I have 4 Shiras moose and a buffalo hanging on lags with no problem.
What's on the mount that you attach to the lag bolt? steel wire?

that's why I went with a heavy duty deck screw, Kind of the same idea, won't pull out, and quite strong.
I have no doubt the lag bolt is that on steroids.

on my mounts they usually just have aheavy duty hanger... to attach to a screw head etc...

perhaps they make a heavy duty anchor for the moose mount that would attach to a lag bolt head? otherwise I suspect steel wire etc...

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
What's on the mount that you attach to the lag bolt? steel wire?

that's why I went with a heavy duty deck screw, Kind of the same idea, won't pull out, and quite strong.
I have no doubt the lag bolt is that on steroids.

on my mounts they usually just have aheavy duty hanger... to attach to a screw head etc...

perhaps they make a heavy duty anchor for the moose mount that would attach to a lag bolt head? otherwise I suspect steel wire etc...
Every mount I have has a specially slotted steel plate screwed to the back of the plywood.