Thinking about moving to Salem area??

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Hey gents, I've had a great job offer in the Salem area and was wondering if I'm nuts to move to Oregon and miss out on all the opportunities that I have now in Utah when it comes to hunting and being in close proximity to WY, CO and ID. I know the Muley hunting in OR is a pathetic crap shoot!! But what about other stuff- like Elk and Blacktails. Just trying to get a feel for what I'm losing vs gaining!

Thanks

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I grew up in the Salem area Woodtick. I moved to Bend which is about 2.5 hours east 16 years ago. The hunting around there isn't good, logging on national forest east of Salem stopped in the early 90's, hunting has gone down hill big time since. West of Salem is the Coast range, there is good Roosevelt elk hunting and good Blacktail hunting if you know what your doing and spend a lot of time in the woods. One of the big challenges you will face is most of that land is owned by private timber companies and they keep it locked to vehicle traffic. Nearly all hunting on the coast range is OTC and it is very popular. The best elk hunting is in the NE corner of the state, it will take anywhere from 3 to 20 years or more to draw a rifle tag in those areas starting with zero points. There are some units that are OTC for archery in NE but the good ones are draw only, some are taking 15 points now to draw. Mule deer hunting just plain sucks for the most part, there are some great bucks here and there but they are few and far between. The best deer hunts are taking 15-16 points now to draw and a 160 buck is a dandy anything bigger is not very common.

Just to give you an idea, I have lived in Oregon my entire life. In the last 10 years I've killed 3 deer, and 2 bulls and I hunt harder than most people I know.

Hopefully the job offer is good enough that you can afford to hunt out of state!

Last edited:

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I live in the Oregon "Valley" where the work is. I have lived here all my life. I shot my first Blacktail this year. It is a different and rewarding animal to hunt. I would rather pack up and hunt eastern OR or beyond. Love to have ya, but you will want to keep throwing apps out for hunt opportunities in other states.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Salem is ok. Hunting sucks for the most part. You need to Bowhunt elk for a semi decent OR type elk hunt. Our east Oregon OTC units will be better than a Utah gen elk hunt.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I pretty much agree.
Not much for mule deer hunting but you would get a crack at Rosies and Blacktail.
Finding good areas for OTC elk and deer (that are not a zoo) can be a little challenging.

On the positive, turkeys have exploded south of Eugene toward Roseburg.
Salmon and Steelhead fishing here in Oregon is insane.
You can take up to three black bear in the SW part of the state and there are a lot.
Residents get thrown into a lottery for very affordable Sheep & Goat tags.
I haven't drawn but a friend and his wife drew sheep twice in three years.
We have great ocean fishing and the sand dunes on the coast are huge with the atv crowd.

I'd keep building points and plan on hunting out of state when you can. I go no less than every third season.
In summary I wouldn't consider Oregon a premier hunting destination but it does have a ton to offer with some good opportunities with a little research.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Like I always say......Friends don't let friends hunt Oregon. ;)

But the incredible chinook fishing can make up for that :)

"Hunting" for big fish is a blast, and I may just do that next fall unless a big tag hits.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Like I always say......Friends don't let friends hunt Oregon. ;)

But the incredible chinook fishing can make up for that :)

"Hunting" for big fish is a blast, and I may just do that next fall unless a big tag hits.

The good stuff in Oregon:

I love the climate.

Great coastal fishing for halibut, albacore, rockfish and salmon, as well as clamming and Dungeness crab.

Great river fishing for steelhead and salmon.

Descent OTC archery hunting for elk.

Descent late blacktail hunting in November seasons, on certain units.

Pretty good spring bear hunting if you are into that and know the areas.

Exceptional sheep and mountain goat hunting....if you can beat the odds.

Very good antelope hunting..but plan to draw every 15 years with a rifle or every 5-9 years with archery or muzzleloader on a good unit.

Last edited:

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Thank you all!! I'm having a real hard time adjusting to the fact that I'll be leaving my home town where I've lived for 30+ years, met my wife here graduated from high school, got my BS and MS from the University that's here. There is no opportunities even remotely close that pay very well, I want to be able to provide a great life for family, build a retirement and hopefully enjoy the rest of my life here on earth!! I love Salmon and Steelhead fishing, been doing that for years in Idaho. I'll definitely have a learning curve when it comes to hunting some new critters! Hopefully it all works out and I'm offered what I need to make the jump! Thanks again to all of you!!

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thank you all!! I'm having a real hard time adjusting to the fact that I'll be leaving my home town where I've lived for 30+ years, met my wife here graduated from high school, got my BS and MS from the University that's here. There is no opportunities even remotely close that pay very well, I want to be able to provide a great life for family, build a retirement and hopefully enjoy the rest of my life here on earth!! I love Salmon and Steelhead fishing, been doing that for years in Idaho. I'll definitely have a learning curve when it comes to hunting some new critters! Hopefully it all works out and I'm offered what I need to make the jump! Thanks again to all of you!!
Look at it this way..... you will have more money to travel back to UT, WY, and ID.
Not to mention you will be really popular with your new "Oregon" Eastman's Forum mentors who you can repay with UTAH intel :eek:

Seriously, you have to judge this state as a whole and It really is a great place to live!!!!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Oregon Jim could be your coast range guy, Umpqua for SW guy, TTT could be you SE guy,I can be your from Salem east of I5 guy. We will straighten out the learning curve as quickly as possible!

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Woodtick,
You probably have all the help you need, with the offers from all these guys, but feel free to look me up or call if you need any help from me. It would be tough to move from the place you grew up, that's for sure. I live a couple hours from Salem and wouldn't want to live in any city, but OR as a whole is a pretty great place to live. It isn't known for trophy hunting, but the variety of critters and types of climate and terrain make it a place with endless opportunities outdoors.
Good Luck

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Oregon is definitely a beautiful place, you just have to get used to all of the winding roads, ha ha. Good luck to you Woodtick we would hate to see you leave Utah but you have to do what is best for you and your family. I look at it as a new hunting challenge and some new species. You can always come back and hunt what you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I just spoke to my cousin who lives 15 min east of Salem. He has been hunting deer in the area for over 30 years. He has been hunting nearly every evening after work and on weekends during the late archery hunt and has only seen one deer. If you do decide to move to Salem and want to hunt Blacktail go south or west. Don't waste your time going east.