Thinking about moving to Salem area??

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
I agree with my fellow Oregonians....... If salmon fishing will at least partially satisfy the hunting instinct, Oregon is a home-run. Fishing in the rivers(fall, winter, spring), and ocean(summer) are typically very, very productive. I've been hunting mule deer and elk in the Ochoco unit for 20+years and in our group we've taken lots of nice deer, but only 3 bucks worth bragging about. 200"gross, 188" gross, 175" gross. We've taken some pretty good bulls, no monsters, and lately it seems like we're seeing better bulls but not getting the chance to get 'em. I agree that there are better states. Lots of them. But, (and no offense to anyone else) I'm sure glad I don't live east of the Rockies. Oregon is still close enough to the other states that have better hunting opportunities. Just keep applying!!!! Good luck in your quest, and like the others, holler if I can help. I'm only a couple hours away.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Thanks again to all of you!! Your input has made the idea of actually moving there a little more easy on the mind, I love salmon/steelhead fishing as much as anyone and would love to be able to start fly-fishing for them a little also been throwing bait casters at them for years with bobber and bottom bounce rigs. I'm not a passionate bow hunter been a few times, I love muzzleloaders and rifles any type of game is fine with me!! I also love waterfowl and upland game. It it fly's, walk's or swim's I've got a weapon suited for the occasion. I've got one more phone interview with the main dudes from there corporate location and then they are talking about flying me out to get some one on one time with the region manager! I'll definitely keep my EF Oregon brethren posted!!

Thanks again!

Lance

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Good luck with the interview and the boys are spot on.....great place to live although it's a liberal state. We don't have the biggest of animals but if you love the outdoors we have a lot of great species to hunt and fish year. We have so many different opertunities that you will have to pick one thing to do over the other for the same time frame or do one thing one day and the other the next. Also, as the others have offered I too would be happy to help you through the Oregon learning curve!

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
East of Roseburg, up the North Umpqua river past Swiftwater is a fly fishing only zone that goes up river a long ways. I'm not a fly fisherman, myself, but I've heard from those that are that when the runs are good, it's some of the most fun, exciting, and productive salmon fishing on the planet. I go up to Diamond Lake a lot and there's always people fishing. Lots of access it seems. If ODFW could get it's $**$ together and figure out some basic math skills, the trout fishing would be excellent at Diamond Lake again. I read a report(these #'s may not be accurate but the end result is) where ODFW stated that they had planted 250,000 trout up to 8". They also figured something like 100,000 trout from the previous year to be 12"+. After the summer of crappy fishing, they took another look at their #'s and realized that they missed by at least 50%. Really? 50%? C'mon guys. There's a big difference between 350,000 and 175,000. Anyway, if they get it right, it is a really fun fishery and produces some huge trout!!!! It's a perfect place to take kids. Take your bug spray. Lots of it.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
My brother lives in Salem, he's a Chinook salmon catching fool. He fishes west of Salem within an hour drive. I'm not a fisherman so I don't know a damn thing about it. I'm sure my bro would be happy to help you out. I hope the interview goes well.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Since you like smoke pole hunting, I would hit UH up on the Applegate muzzy hunt. He may have some good insight for you on that. It can be a really good hunt for big Blacktail from what I've heard.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Since you like smoke pole hunting, I would hit UH up on the Applegate muzzy hunt. He may have some good insight for you on that. It can be a really good hunt for big Blacktail from what I've heard.
I still haven't killed a buck there, three guys in my spot this year...grrrrr. The biggest problem is that I am usually too burned out by the time late November rolls around to be terribly motivated.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Oh and fishing for catfish using bobbers on Brownlee reservoir is the bomb. I have never hit it just right (need to wait until the water gets warmer), but we still have had a blast.

My favorite is lower river Chinook salmon fishing, where they still actively feed and you have gorgeous water conditions. That may just be one of the most fun things ever. In fact I have trouble getting motivated to hunt when the Chinooks are going.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I live an hour west of Salem on the coast. Hunting is getting tougher but I still manage to fill most tags and eat nothing but wild game, fish and shellfish. Outstanding spring bear hunting, decent OTC blacktail and Roosevelt elk are all available.

As has been mentioned the fishing is generally pretty dang good! Once you eat a FRESH coastal salmon or steelhead nothing in Idaho will even look edible IMO. On top of that all the Dungeness crab you can eat are available most of the year along with a bounty of different clams. Always something to do in Western Oregon! We have almost moved east a few times but the ocean keeps me here.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Man you guys are making me want to move there!!! How's the waterfowl hunting in the area?? It's almost impossible anymore to go here all the land is locked up or the public areas are over run with people!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Dont do it Woodtick!!! I like alot of eastern Oregon, but couldnt pay me enough to live anywhere west of hwy 97. Maybe you would like it there, but its not for me.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Man you guys are making me want to move there!!! How's the waterfowl hunting in the area?? It's almost impossible anymore to go here all the land is locked up or the public areas are over run with people!
I don't have time for waterfowl with all the fishing there is to do but from what I hear it's really good. The Willamette Valley is overrun with geese and there are plenty of ducks. Salmon and steelhead taste better than ducks and geese though! On most days I drift for winter steelhead I could limit on geese if I packed the shotgun I just don't do it.

I do a bit of Ruffed Grouse hunting after all the big game seasons are over and that can be productive.

There is also some pretty good turkey hunting although turkeys on public land are harder to come by.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I'm totally outside the box looking in on this one Woodtick. Speaking for myself, I would hate to move from one state where my vote doesn't count to another one. I would move to Wyoming or Utah in a heartbeat if it wasn't for family. I actually spent a couple weeks in Oregon last summer in much of the area discussed here. My wife and grandkids loved Crater and Diamond Lake, we followed the Umpqua River to Roseberg where I visited a classmate from the FBI Academy, then up to Salem to visit my old Marine Gunny who we hadn't seen or heard from in 40 years. It's great country, but the libs would drive me nuts. I think that if the interview goes well, you might want to take a short visit with your wife, find a nice area to live, and meet up with some of the locals who have offered to help you out on the forum. Good luck.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I'm totally outside the box looking in on this one Woodtick. Speaking for myself, I would hate to move from one state where my vote doesn't count to another one. I would move to Wyoming or Utah in a heartbeat if it wasn't for family. I actually spent a couple weeks in Oregon last summer in much of the area discussed here. My wife and grandkids loved Crater and Diamond Lake, we followed the Umpqua River to Roseberg where I visited a classmate from the FBI Academy, then up to Salem to visit my old Marine Gunny who we hadn't seen or heard from in 40 years. It's great country, but the libs would drive me nuts. I think that if the interview goes well, you might want to take a short visit with your wife, find a nice area to live, and meet up with some of the locals who have offered to help you out on the forum. Good luck.
It is a pretty liberal state, we need more guys like woodtick to move here so we can get this state back to what it should be.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
It is a pretty liberal state, we need more guys like woodtick to move here so we can get this state back to what it should be.
We have the same problem here in WA. Eastern WA is a good area but the liberals on the west side have all the votes and we really dont have a say in anything. I feel the best solution is to relocate the OR/WA border to HWY 97. Everything west of 97 will be 1 liberal state and everything east of 97 they can leave us alone!!! What side of 97 is your house on Timber? If its west of 97 you might have to move but trust me it will be worth it:D