Zion Desert Bighorn Sheep

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Any Zion desert bighorn hunters on board? I've applied. I have a lot of bonus points. I'm hoping that luck sends a tag my way.

Has anyone hunted this unit? I've done some research. It seems to be one of the top tier desert bighorn units. I have talked to a dude who resides off of Hwy 12. He's an accomplished hunter. He has told me that he's seen book-size rams in Zion. Other than that dude, I haven't talked to anyone who's actually seen Zion rams.

I do have an outfitted dialed in. But if you guys have had great experiences with sheep guides, I'd really appreciate it were you to provide recommendations. A back-up guide is good to know. I'd hate to lose a once-in-a-lifetime hunt were my primary guide become unavailable.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I'm not familiar with the unit, but good luck to you and make sure to take lots of pictures to show us if you draw!

Last edited:

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
The Zion unit seems to account for the majority of the Desert rams in the Utah record book. As a resident I never apply there because my math tells me that I won't live long enough to draw the tag. Currently with 14 points I am projecting that I could draw a lesser unit in about 30 years if tag numbers and hunter attrition rate hold steady. With only 1 NR tag though, even max points don't mean much, just one more ticket in the hat. All that said, someone has to be the lucky one, might as well be you.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I am in the draw for Zion with max points. For a nonresident in the max point pool the odds are still astronomical...as in 0.1% or 1 in 1000. I wouldn't worry to much about lining up an outfitter because that is 20 lifetimes of hunting, applying 50 years per lifetime.

Since no Utah nonresident desert units have 2 tags, which would allocate one to a max point holder, having max points really doesn't help a lot.

If you really want a ram, move to Utah, but you better plan to stay. A well known hunter moved there with max points, established residency, drew the desert tag and moved back out of state. Ended up costing him big time.

Here is a link to determine your odds based on your point level.

https://www.toprut.com/hunt/utah-desert-sheep/

Last edited:

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I do have an outfitted dialed in. But if you guys have had great experiences with sheep guides, I'd really appreciate it were you to provide recommendations.
I hope Adam Bronson is at the top of your list. Best sheep guide in the business, imho.

12g.jpg

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
Beautiful ram Grizzly! Is that your's?
Its actually my wife's. She got lucky and pulled a random tag last year in an area that has historically been a tough unit. We backpacked in and she was able to put it together. I couldn't possibly recommend Bronson more than I do, they were great.
f.jpg
13a.jpg
sheep_packout.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
That is just a beautiful animal, Grizzly. I think I'd give up hunting for the rest of my days, just for the opportunity to hunt one.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Its actually my wife's. She got lucky and pulled a random tag last year in an area that has historically been a tough unit. We backpacked in and she was able to put it together. I couldn't possibly recommend Bronson more than I do, they were great.
View attachment 21034
View attachment 21033
View attachment 21032
Congratulations to your wife! My wife took an Oregon ram in 2012 and I would have to say it was probably my most memorable hunting experience.

I have known Adam Bronson for several years starting when he was at Huntin Fool. From what I know of him, I am sure he'd be a great guide to hunt with.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Roughly 1 in 5,000 draw odds. I like the confidence here!
Waaaaa that was my thought when I read this post! [emoji23] Nice optimism.

Grizzly your wife is a looker even without the awesome ram on her back! Congrats to both of you. [emoji5]

My life will get interesting this year. My wife lives in China and retires from her HS teaching career in June. Her top desire is to visit some of our western national parks, beginning with Bryce Canyon. So it's affecting almost all of my hunt application choices this year. Beginning in 2019 she will spend most her falls at her Sichuan condo so I'll get a free hall pass whole hunting season.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Time to pay your dues Zim, as it sounds like you have an accommodating wife. My wife didn't grumble last year when I spent the whole summer canoe guiding and three western hunting trips, so I'm pretty much following her agenda this summer. Keep her happy and she'll keep you happy.