Youth bear cartridge?

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Last Christmas I bought a Maine bear hunt at a charity auction. My Son will be 12 this fall and plan on letting him do this hunt. I have never bear hunted before so I don't know what caliber will work on the lower end of the scale, if it was me it wouldn't be an issue. But don't want something that will kick to hard, but don't want something under powered. Was thinking a 20ga w/ slug, he has one that he has used the last two years turkey hunting. Shooting 3 turkey loads out a full choke. Or he can shoot my 6.5 creedmoor or maybe the 45-70.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Last Christmas I bought a Maine bear hunt at a charity auction. My Son will be 12 this fall and plan on letting him do this hunt. I have never bear hunted before so I don't know what caliber will work on the lower end of the scale, if it was me it wouldn't be an issue. But don't want something that will kick to hard, but don't want something under powered. Was thinking a 20ga w/ slug, he has one that he has used the last two years turkey hunting. Shooting 3 turkey loads out a full choke. Or he can shoot my 6.5 creedmoor or maybe the 45-70.

if he can handle the kick of the 20 gauge he aught to be able to handle the others.

I would use anything from .243 on up

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Based on his age and limited experience, I'd stick with what he is comfortable with as in the 20 gauge. At that age, you don't want him developing any bad habits or becoming afraid to pull the trigger due to recoil (45-70). Just my $0.02

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
My niece shot her Wisconsin black bear with a 20 gauge slug. The only place it went was straight down.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Unless you're wanting to purchase a rifle for your son, I'd stick with the 20 gauge until perhaps he decides what gun he'd like next. :)

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Based on your post I would definitely go with the 20 ga. with slugs if he is accurate enough and the shots are relatively close over dogs or bait. My brothers and I have killed four bears with slugs. If hit well, they don't go anywhere. The guides we hunt with all recommend shotguns with slugs as the slugs generally don't pass through a bear which results in all the energy transferring in to the animal. Inside 50 or so yards, a 20 ga or 12 ga. doesn't matter if the shot is good.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
If the 20 gauge is not set up with rifle type sights or a scope, I would cross it off my list. I doubt that the 6.5 has as much recoil as the 20 gauge with slugs so I would have him shooting the 6.5. I have taken 2 bears with a 6.8mm SPC, a cartridge that has a lot less oomph than the Creedmoor. Both were one shot kills. Like bdan68 said, choosing the right bullet is a key element. With the Creedmoor, you have a lot of bullet choices.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
All things being equal in action and stock, the 20 gauge has similar recoil energy to a 300 mag- more if in a shortened stock youth platform. If the 20 is an auto, that will remove some of the recoil. That said, if your boy is handling the 20 ok, it is up to you to spin it right to him if you decide it best he use a different caliber. Chuck Hawks has easy to view recoil tables online so you can show your boy what he is currently handling compared to the other cartridges.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm - shotgun recoil
https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm - rifle recoil

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Any of your options will work fine. Just pick a good bullet or slug. I have dropped multiple large mule deer in their tracks with a 20ga sabot slug. It was devastation. I have zero doubt it will drop a bear. Range is limited. If he handles turkey loads, odds are he’ll handle the slug fine.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
My 6.5 is on the heavy side so recoil is reduced. I currently shoot 143 eld-x through it. SOunds like shots are going to be in the 50 yard or less range, not sure if that bullet will hold up? I know I shot several antelope last year with it, furthest being 350 yards and have yet to have one not pass through a double lung shot. I know these are two entirely different animals.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I bought a youth model 7mm-08rem for my daughter's, light recoiling effective cartridge. Good for everything most of us will ever hunt in N. America. Sure did a good job on my daughter's first whitetail buck.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
probably 6.5 creed with 140 premium bullet of those options.

I was gonna suggest, 7mm08, 308, 270

I like the idea of the 6.5 over the 20ga slug, more penetration I'm thinking.