YETI Cooler air conditioner for the tent

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Hey guys! Here is a fun video I did on a a/c build for the tent with the help of YETI (they supplied the cooler). It can be done with any cooler, pretty much, but we had some fun seeing what a $400 cooler looked like with holes cut into it. It actually held block ice for days, even with the holes cut in the top. Not sure how long the ice would've lasted if we ran the fan more per day...

I love tent camping over a camper, but hate the midday heat in a tent. I watched lots of videos on YouTube and saw lots of options and ways to do it. I ended up upgrading to this fan for more airflow from Vornado: https://www.vornado.com/shop/circulators-fans/460-small-air-circulator. The fan in the video only moved air at 4mph (tested with a Kestrel unit). The new Vornado fan almost quadrupled it to 15mph. I even tested a Milwaukee cordless leaf blower a guy in town had, but it was way too noisy and expensive for this. It did blow air at 50mph, though!!!!! I had to actually force my hand with the Kestrel in it against the output tube because it was blowing so hard....LOL!

EricHudson

Dec 11, 2020
Yeti air conditioners are a continuation of the popular Silence New series. through the use of state-of-the-art p32 freon and state-of-the-art high-power compressors, the neoclima yeti series has become a complete air-to-air heat pump. I only encountered the problem a few days after installation. Many masters said that he would not work anymore but turning to https://www.socool.sg/why-is-your-aircon-not-cold/ it turned out that there is not such a big and expensive breakdown as many said. It is thanks to the skill and professionalism that my air conditioner works.

Last edited:

SoulJz

Oct 13, 2021
You can not even imagine how many things can disturb the performance of your aircon. If you're lucky to have an AC that's designed to blink when there's an inside issue, it's way easier to know when to ask for help. As I run a company and I own over 15 offices equipped with one aircon each, I struggled with so much pain in the butt. I wish I knew from the start where to seek assistance in order to fix the issues. I started from trying to be an engineer myself to wasting money on mistrustful services. If you have something to do with any problem regarding your AC, go immediately here: marvellous.sg

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Funny that this is mentioned because two weekends ago I seen one at the dump..

Brand new cooler with 2 holes cut in it. lol I almost grabbed it but I have so many coolers I left it there for the next guy to fix up.

It wasnts a yeti but it was one of those high dollar brands that fishermen use on charter boats. I cant remember the name.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Funny that this is mentioned because two weekends ago I seen one at the dump..

Brand new cooler with 2 holes cut in it. lol I almost grabbed it but I have so many coolers I left it there for the next guy to fix up.

It wasnts a yeti but it was one of those high dollar brands that fishermen use on charter boats. I cant remember the name.
Thats funny!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
If you guys want to avoid the battery, Snap-Fan makes a completely solar powered 12" fan that would move a LOT more air than the one in the video. you simply plug it into a solar panel. I have done some work with their company but haven't worked with them in a little over a year. Solid products but a bit pricy.

Reactions: Winchester

BobbySuek

Dec 13, 2022
Hey there, thanks for sharing this interesting video on the YETI cooler air conditioner! It's always great to see creative solutions for staying cool while camping. I know this post is from a few months ago, but I was wondering if you've had a chance to test the setup for an extended period of time? Also, have you considered using a portable air conditioner unit designed for camping? I recently discovered an AC service in my area that offers portable AC units for rent, which could be another option to consider. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge with us!

Last edited:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
At burning man we use a 5 gallon bucket and big ice block w the same idea. First time was pre 2009…. Now a hard side camping trailer solves the same issue and is much more comfortable..

Or folks have been doing this for years no need for a yeti as again the 5 gallon bucket w plastic top and solar powered fan works just fine and is like 30usd..

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Hey there, thanks for sharing this interesting video on the YETI cooler air conditioner! It's always great to see creative solutions for staying cool while camping. I know this post is from a few months ago, but I was wondering if you've had a chance to test the setup for an extended period of time? Also, have you considered using a portable air conditioner unit designed for camping? I recently discovered an AC service in my area that offers portable AC units for rent, which could be another option to consider. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge with us!
I haven't tested portable A/C units but would love to. The biggest limiting factor that I've found with any of the homemade or factory A/C systems is power for the fan or A/C unit. The electricity needed for hours of use is a challenge. However, with constant advancements in portable solar technology, hopefully this will become less of an issue. Anybody know what the best solar option is for a solar fan or new solar panel that powers a fan?