Wyoming Small Game After Antelope Hunt?

DABAU

Jan 22, 2014
Georgia
Alright guys at the risk of getting really far ahead of myself but assuming I am successful on my antelope trip to Wyoming this year and have a couple days left for the hunt what do you guys do afterwards? How is the rabbit or other small game hunting out that way? If it's worth it I wouldn't mind taking an extra shotgun or .22 and see more country while I am out there. I'm hunting Unit 74 and will be staying in Riverton.

olref

Jan 12, 2012
Northern California
Small Game Hunt

Alright guys at the risk of getting really far ahead of myself but assuming I am successful on my antelope trip to Wyoming this year and have a couple days left for the hunt what do you guys do afterwards? How is the rabbit or other small game hunting out that way? If it's worth it I wouldn't mind taking an extra shotgun or .22 and see more country while I am out there. I'm hunting Unit 74 and will be staying in Riverton.
Hello Dabau,
A few years ago, I took my shotgun to Wyoming to use following my antelope hunt. I did not get to use it due to getting an antelope at the very end of Sept., the grouse season had just ended. So......bought a NR fishing license, instead.
Check the Small Game season dates to really be sure.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I'll be hunting antelope in NE Wyoming, and hope to find time to shoot some sharptail grouse. However, it sucks that my bird dog will be at home. I've never shot a sharptail so I'm really hoping to find a few.

We might also try some coyote hunting.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
DABAU,

Fall fishing is great throughout Wyoming. Small game hunting is spotty at best. There is some good grouse hunting in areas. I personally would focus on predator hunting, fishing, and scouting for future other species hunts. If your hunting in mid to late September, head up to the hills and listen to a few elk bugle... catch some brook trout in almost any mountain stream, and call in a few predators. Or you can always buy a few antelope doe tags in one of the areas with leftovers... plenty of options.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I'm looking at the same scenario and I was already planning to try to take out a couple of coyotes.

It is not small game and it is a little twist on the topic but is it correct that a wolf is considered "predatory" in that area?
In other words ........ game on?:)

DABAU

Jan 22, 2014
Georgia
Lots of good advice guys, looks like it's going to be a coyote killing mission for me if I have an extra day or two.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I'm looking at the same scenario and I was already planning to try to take out a couple of coyotes.

It is not small game and it is a little twist on the topic but is it correct that a wolf is considered "predatory" in that area?
In other words ........ game on?:)
What area are you talking about?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Sorry: I got Pinedale and Riverton mixed up.
Looks like the area south of Pinedale is out of both wolf management zones.

Sorry
The wolf management zones are all numbered and showing on the map just like the maps for other game animals. They have season dates, quotas, and you need a license to hunt them. The areas around Riverton and everything south of Pinedale are in the Predator Zone classification like the majority of the state and you can shoot them on sight with no license requirement. Everything showing in white on the map is that zone. All the G&F asks is that if one is shot in the Predator Zone that you call them so they can keep their records updated.

Last edited: