Wyoming PP question

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Can my son apply in the random draw for Mule Deer and then purchase a preference point in July when they go on sale? I think the answer is no but I thought I would ask anyway.

gasman

Jul 26, 2015
He can apply for the tag and buy a preference point now, if he draws they will refund the preference point money, if he doesn't draw he will have the point. Or he can wait and buy the point later.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
If you draw your first choice you can not get a point and you will use your points if you have any. If you draw your 2nd or 3rd choice you can get a point that year and you would not use any points you have.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Thanks guys he already has two points and will be applying for region general tag that always draws 100% in the random draw so I'm not going to waste his points. I know I could put him in for a difficult to draw first choice and put the tag we are after as the second choice but I Don't understand how they do the random draw for your first choice. Last year I didn't have enough points to draw my elk tag but my brother and I ended up drawing the only 2 random tags available after being unsuccessful in the PP drawing. With my luck he would draw the tag which would be a problem because his brother already has an elk tag so I want to get him a deer tag for that area. I just thought it would be a safer bet to purchase the PP after the draw if possible but I am probably over thinking it.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Thanks guys he already has two points and will be applying for region general tag that always draws 100% in the random draw so I'm not going to waste his points. I know I could put him in for a difficult to draw first choice and put the tag we are after as the second choice but I Don't understand how they do the random draw for your first choice. Last year I didn't have enough points to draw my elk tag but my brother and I ended up drawing the only 2 random tags available after being unsuccessful in the PP drawing. With my luck he would draw the tag which would be a problem because his brother already has an elk tag so I want to get him a deer tag for that area. I just thought it would be a safer bet to purchase the PP after the draw if possible but I am probably over thinking it.
If I understand correctly you are planning on putting you son in for the region general tag as his first choice. As soon as he draws a first choice tag, his points are used.

There are two ways to obtain the tag without burning points. Draw the tag as a second choice (or third), or buy it as a leftover.

Paying for the the preference point option at the time of application only determines if he accrues a new point if his first choice application is not drawn. By paying for the preference point option now, it saves having to remember to buy the point later this summer.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The random draw applies to first choice. It is for everyone that doesnt draw in the PP draw to have some chance to draw. If you draw your 1st choice weather it is in the PP or random draw you WILL use your points. To keep your points you need to apply for a very hard to draw 1st choice and the region tag as your 2nd choice.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The random draw applies to first choice. It is for everyone that doesnt draw in the PP draw to have some chance to draw. If you draw your 1st choice weather it is in the PP or random draw you WILL use your points. To keep your points you need to apply for a very hard to draw 1st choice and the region tag as your 2nd choice.
Thanks Musket Man, I think I get it now, I thought I could put in with the non preference point draw and save his points and also buy a PP after the draw but I will just have to put the region general as his second choice.

Thanks to all who replied!