Wyoming Passes 90/10: The Worst Article You’ll Read This Year - by Guy Eastman

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I agree with lots of what has been written, but the real problem is the people who have been buying points for years. They got punched in the gut. Lets say someone is 35 years old and has 10 to 15 sheep points in the bank. They probably won't draw a tag and get a chance to hunt a ram until they are just too old to chase one up and down the mountain. Somehow Wyoming has to come up with a process to make it right for hunters who have invested lots of $$$ for point under the old system.

this is close to where i am at. i never expected a tag. but i did hope that by getting into the points that i would have a better chance at a moose or sheep in the lower 48. But it is a tough pill to swallow. i do believe that wyoming has been quite generous in NR tag allotments over the years and lots of good things come to an end.

Reactions: manitou1

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
You aren't being forced to hunt here...Wyoming should look out for it's residents first.
It's like being on the playground - the kid with the ball sets the rules. The other kids can either play or go do something else.

Buzz - how long before you-all release the 90/10 changes for elk/deer/antelope?

I'm about 2 points out of a decent antelope hunt and want to know if I should just do a guided hunt to get it out of the way or wait the 2 years.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
It's like being on the playground - the kid with the ball sets the rules. The other kids can either play or go do something else.

Buzz - how long before you-all release the 90/10 changes for elk/deer/antelope?

I'm about 2 points out of a decent antelope hunt and want to know if I should just do a guided hunt to get it out of the way or wait the 2 years.
There is going to no recommendation by the Task Force to make DEA 90/10. But Guy was right, this is the worst article I've read this year.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Well..just in case, maybe it’s time to cash in on my Wyoming points for deer and elk…
I would, deer and elk haven't had anything passed yet as it's a much bigger pill to swallow. However, the discussion is going to keep going and every year there will be more pressure.

This has been building for a LONG time and there are state legislators who have been very involved in multiple facets of this for a long time. Some were pushing hard in the last handful of years for preference points for elk, deer and antelope for residents, i'm glad that hasn't happened.

I wish I had a crystal ball to be able to tell the exact timing of all this stuff, but my gut says that we won't see the end of many of these discussions for a long time.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I don't have any idea how much you have invested in sheep points in all the states that have hunts, but I am sure it would be enough for a nice down payment on an Alaskan or Canadian sheep hunt.

As far as Eastman articles, IMHO they have to do something to get our attention to a situation that effects our hunting opportunities. In that respect, they do that for sure!
I have been chasing the desert sheep tag for 20 years in all the states that have that animal available. I could propably have bought a desert in mexico by now.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
might be time to draw Cow/Ewe tags....?

I wonder if WY will have to go to a squaring/cubing of points instead of a PP and random tag situation, which may hurt everyone...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
might be time to draw Cow/Ewe tags....?

I wonder if WY will have to go to a squaring/cubing of points instead of a PP and random tag situation, which may hurt everyone...
Problem is there are very few of those available (6 cow moose last year) and those that are have been going to high point holder for a while due to guys trying to exit. Area 38 cow moose took 15 to have a chance. Guessing after this it will take around 20 for the cow tag. Unfortunately there just isn't any clean exit strategy.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
There is going to no recommendation by the Task Force to make DEA 90/10. But Guy was right, this is the worst article I've read this year.
Buzz has been talking on Rokslide about the 90/10 coming to elk, deer, and antelope. He might be just trying to get under someone's skin but writing is on the wall: Guy mentions it being in the future and Buzz says they are either working on it or gonna be working on it.

I don't trust the task force to do the NR any favors or even cut us some slack. So I figured I'd ask Buzz and see what he would say.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Buzz has been talking on Rokslide about the 90/10 coming to elk, deer, and antelope. He might be just trying to get under someone's skin but writing is on the wall: Guy mentions it being in the future and Buzz says they are either working on it or gonna be working on it.

I don't trust the task force to do the NR any favors or even cut us some slack. So I figured I'd ask Buzz and see what he would say.
I'd be surprised if DEA 90/10 happens in the next five years. The big 5 turned into a big push and it was low hanging fruit. The outfitters will fight DEA tooth and nail. If it was me, I would carry on like it's not going to happen.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'd be surprised if DEA 90/10 happens in the next five years. The big 5 turned into a big push and it was low hanging fruit. The outfitters will fight DEA tooth and nail. If it was me, I would carry on like it's not going to happen.
That won't hold true if they get a guaranteed set aside of the remaining non-resident tags. Outfitters would then absolutely push for it which might be enough to make it happen quickly.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
That won't hold true if they get a guaranteed set aside of the remaining non-resident tags. Outfitters would then absolutely push for it which might be enough to make it happen quickly.
Yep, from a business perspective if they can increase the pool of potential clients (by forcing NR to hire a guide) I think they would support it. I did a outfitted hunt for my first elk hunt. Outfitter was great and I killed a bull but outfitted hunts are just not for me. I'd really have to think long and hard about using my points for a guided hunt. Most likely would for mule deer as I'm sitting on 13 points; not sure about elk and pronghorn.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
You aren't being forced to hunt here...Wyoming should look out for it's residents first.
yup!

a politician looking out for those he represents? good grief whatever will we do!

same way we should look out for american citizens FIRST . yet there are plenty of fools here in the U.S that can not get behind that concept either.

oh well, at least the mean tweets stopped!

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I don't believe it will happen anytime soon either. JM77 has it right.

But, what isn't helping nrs is they're shooting themselves in the foot with the constant entitlement attitude regarding Wyoming's wildlife. I don't see this in any other state but Wyoming...I guess somewhere along the line resident generousity turned to nr entitlement. That's off-putting to resident hunters.

Nrs get way over their allocation of pronghorn, deer, and elk tags in Wyoming, yet complain about residents wanting 90% of our big 5 tags. Constant complaining about point creep, etc.

That is making residents want to cut a deal with the outfitters to get 90-10 across the board.

Other trigger would be things like statewide limited quota for elk and deer and no general resident tags.

Picking a region may trigger a 90-10 for everything as well.

Or maybe residents here wanting the same allocations that most other states afford their residents.

I think it's inevitable it's going to happen, just don't think it will be in the next 5 years or more.

Reactions: BOHNTR

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
The money paid for the nonresident tags is a drop in the bucket compared to the money spent in the state while there. I hunted Wyoming this past fall and spent a lot more money while there than I paid for the tag/license. Multiply that times the out of state hunters that wont be coming. It will be a hit on a lot of local economies.
Same here. Think I drew 9 or 10 resident tags last year. I probably spent 10 - 15 times more than what I paid for tags and that was just in gas. Have no idea what I spent on various local economies, but it was a bunch. Thanks for what you did do...

On a side note, Guy comes across in that article as a whiner and cry baby. He's the most entitled guy on his one website. Him and his family hunt private ground every year at no cost, he has access to large private ranches, and seems to draw tags regularly that most guys could only hope to draw once every decade or more. Then he profits off non-residents with the sale of his magazines and when he realizes with the loss of tags that he might lose revenue, he becomes their advocate and sympathizer. Cry me a river...

Reactions: JM77

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I don't believe it will happen anytime soon either. JM77 has it right.

But, what isn't helping nrs is they're shooting themselves in the foot with the constant entitlement attitude regarding Wyoming's wildlife. I don't see this in any other state but Wyoming...I guess somewhere along the line resident generousity turned to nr entitlement. That's off-putting to resident hunters.

Nrs get way over their allocation of pronghorn, deer, and elk tags in Wyoming, yet complain about residents wanting 90% of our big 5 tags. Constant complaining about point creep, etc.

That is making residents want to cut a deal with the outfitters to get 90-10 across the board.

Other trigger would be things like statewide limited quota for elk and deer and no general resident tags.

Picking a region may trigger a 90-10 for everything as well.

Or maybe residents here wanting the same allocations that most other states afford their residents.

I think it's inevitable it's going to happen, just don't think it will be in the next 5 years or more.
You really are full of it sometimes Buzz. The majority of hunters in Wyoming aren't on outdoor forums and they have no idea how non residents feel. The only feeling of "entitlement" the vast majority of us have is to get what we were offered. An ever increasing chance to draw the permits we have been buying points for. I don't think that's too much to ask.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
You really are full of it sometimes Buzz. The majority of hunters in Wyoming aren't on outdoor forums and they have no idea how non residents feel. The only feeling of "entitlement" the vast majority of us have is to get what we were offered. An ever increasing chance to draw the permits we have been buying points for. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Right, I'm full of it. I've also heard from many non residents that, "90-10 will never pass". Is that right?????

I have a pretty good sense of what resident hunters are wanting in Wyoming. They want more tags in better units and they will get them. If I were a nr I'd be for drawing what I could while the gettin' is good.

What you'll get is what residents decide to give you.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Right, I'm full of it. I've also heard from many non residents that, "90-10 will never pass". Is that right?????

I have a pretty good sense of what resident hunters are wanting in Wyoming. They want more tags in better units and they will get them. If I were a nr I'd be for drawing what I could while the gettin' is good.

What you'll get is what residents decide to give you.
Arguing with you is pointless Buzz because you can't stay on topic. I'll help. Your claim that residents are tired of entitlement attitudes was the topic. There may be a select few that share your point of view but the majority of residents really have no idea.

" Ever increasing chance to draw...". That's not entitlement. That's being sold a bad bill of goods. Nothing you can say will change that.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I would, deer and elk haven't had anything passed yet as it's a much bigger pill to swallow. However, the discussion is going to keep going and every year there will be more pressure.

This has been building for a LONG time and there are state legislators who have been very involved in multiple facets of this for a long time. Some were pushing hard in the last handful of years for preference points for elk, deer and antelope for residents, i'm glad that hasn't happened.

I wish I had a crystal ball to be able to tell the exact timing of all this stuff, but my gut says that we won't see the end of many of these discussions for a long time.
Yeah, looks like it’s time to do that and then focus on other states that want my NR money. Maybe not the same thing but wonder if Florida (or anywhere else) would ever make it that difficult for NR to fish here…they wouldn’t because of the tourism $$$ they would lose out on. I guess I will consider myself lucky I won’t be impacted by this.