Wyoming ORV/SXS/ATV use map info

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gents,
Im digging through the interweb looking for info. So far I havent found any clear guidance on the below. Ill use the below as an example but I think it can apply to many other places.

Deer Creek HMA. Boxelder Rd 629 on the east side goes from a hard pack gravel to a dirt two track/dirt road. Onx has it annotated as a hard line for the hardpack section and a double hashed line for the dirt section.

Question? Can I run a side by side or quad on the double hashed line dirt section?

Any help, guidance or links is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Winchester

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have never had a problem driving on a 2 track anywhere in Wyoming. Just make sure you are not making your own new 2 track!.

One time I had a Warden watch us with his binos while we were on a little used 2 track. We shot a couple of antelope and carried them to our ohv and turned around and came out to the main road. He was waiting for us and checked our tags and mentioned he was glad we didn't leave the 2 track with the ohv to retrieve the goats. We just might have, but we knew he was there and didn't. So we got the message!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
^Agree with Scott, look at each additional HMA and WIHA. I've only ever seen a couple WIHA that allow driving on them of any kind, hence walk in.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Look for the HMA and walk in pamphlet. They have the official rules for that season.
Yes sir. Thats exactly where the question comes from. See attached. Using Deer Creek again as the example. Map/plat denotes it as green (open road) . HMA specific rules say no ORV /ATV use on True Ranches property which is the owner of the bulk of this HMA. Which I interpret as everything except the green marked "open road" where I can drive my truck.

Im scouting this week out of Casper so Im gonna go to Sportsmans, look at trail maps and maybe go to the USFS office in Douglas. Wyo Game and Fish in Casper was no help but maybe just the people I talked to.

After talking through this again I guess the question is. Can I operate a SXS on one of those green marked open road on the HMA maps.
20210922_065618.jpg20210922_065625.jpg

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The roads are marked pretty clearly once you are out there. Hunting one near Laramie this past weekend I was surprised at how many of the good roads were just plain closed. A vertical sign next to each road either had an arrow meaning it was ok to travel or a closed sign. It was actually a big benefit to us as it provided areas to hike into where the antelope hadn't been pressured. Packing an antelope a mile was a new experience but it was awesome.

For what it's worth, the online map didn't accurately list all roads closed.

As long as your side by side is legal for use on the county roads, you should be fine on the green routes.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I got stopped by a sheriff a couple days ago on a county dirt road. According to him I needed insurance plus a license plate to drive my dirt bike on that road. It was super complicated and he said the regs are different with a 4 wheeler on that same road. Also, this may change from one county to the next in Wyo. You also need an ATV stamp to ride on BLM/Forest Service. They are cheap so I'd just get one to be sure if you plan on riding on BLM, state, or Forest Land. Every HMA and walk in has different regs so be sure to read the regs.

With that said, you may want to contact the local sheriff's and WG&F office in the area/county you plan on hunting to get specific info.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I had a sticker on my bike and the sheriff that stopped me said I could get a $500 ticket on the county road I was on since I didn't have a license plate plus proof of insurance.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Yep if the county road is not enrolled then your vehicle must be legal to operate on a public road.
CRs that allow that travel will have a green arrow along them or at intersections.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
does anyone know fi the onX offroad maps would help guys figure all this out?