Wyoming Moose

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
I am a Wyoming resident and currently have 13 preference points. As most moose hunters I have been chasing point creep and I find I'm on the edge of having enough to draw one but can't seem to get there. A few years ago I even tried to settle for a cow and that year 5 of 6 folks with 9 points drew the cow except yours truly. Now that I'm at 13 I'd prefer to hold out to try and get a bull. I don't need a monster bull 30 to 36 inches would be fantastic. Last 2 seasons I've put in for Area 24. I've looked at Area 10 but worried the lack of roads and ability to get it out if I harvested one. Area 25 looks like a lot of private and Areas 27 and 35 seem to be similar, not sure how willing folks out there are to letting people hunt or if outfitters locked up all that land. Living on the East side of Wyoming its a little tough to check these out. Anyone have some information or suggestions?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'm pretty close to the same boat as you and been looking pretty hard at 10. Don't know much about it, but thinking in just going to drive up there the year before the week after labor day and check it out.

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
There are 747 residents with same amount as you going into the 2021 draw. I currently have 16 and this will be my second moose tag. If I were in your shoes I would hold out. You stand a good chance in 24. You just have to worry about those max point holders if they apply. Good luck!

One of my friends wife had 16 points and drew Area 24 tag last season. They waited until late Oct and she harvested a small bull they spotted from the road. They went during bow season but didn't see much. Locals told them the moose don't come down to lower elevations until late Oct, pretty tough before then unless you can hike to higher country and get them out

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
One of my friends wife had 16 points and drew Area 24 tag last season. They waited until late Oct and she harvested a small bull they spotted from the road. They went during bow season but didn't see much. Locals told them the moose don't come down to lower elevations until late Oct, pretty tough before then unless you can hike to higher country and get them out
That's not been my experience in 24...

Reactions: BAKPAKR

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
Me either. I helped on an archery hunt and saw quite a few moose on NF during September.
It appears Hilltop and BuzzH you believe I may be getting less than accurate information. I'll try to contact the regional office and talk to the biologist out that way. I have time to do some more homework. Thanks

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
October 1, rifle opener right in the bottom about 300 yards from a road. Saw probably 20 total moose, most of them bulls while scouting the few days prior to opening day. Was able to talk my Dad out of killing the first half dozen or so, couldn't talk him out of this one:

I drew 24 in 2015, again, lots of bulls and moose. Shot this one in September, was about .75 miles from a road. Shot it in the morning had it to the truck by 3 PM or so. Same thing, saw 15 or so bulls while scouting the couple days prior.

Shot it on day 5 of the rifle season.

My Dad with my bull at the truck.

Cant imagine things have changed that much in 5-6 years, possible I suppose.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
There's moose in 24 and not always up high. They'll move down once the rut starts chasing the cows. Nice bulls BuzzH.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
Point creep is really frustrating. I finally drew a nearby unit as a non-resident with 17 points a couple of years ago. As a man of means by no means, I am fine with not donating roughly $200 per year (NR preference point fee plus processing fee).

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Never hunted 24 but lived in the middle of 20 for a couple decades and would kind of agree with those locals. The moose will show up in late Sep-Oct. I never saw many moose until then, the reason being that they don't come out of the dark timber until it starts cooling down. When it was good (20 years ago) I'd see up to 15 bulls per day in Oct. I would see very few, sometimes no moose in the summer, but they were always there.

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
Okay, after banging my head against the wall a few times and a lot of indecisiveness I put in for Area 24 and hope for a dump truck full of luck. There are a few areas that a person with 13 points are more likely to draw a tag but I couldn't help myself. Now the waiting and hoping game begins

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Okay, after banging my head against the wall a few times and a lot of indecisiveness I put in for Area 24 and hope for a dump truck full of luck. There are a few areas that a person with 13 points are more likely to draw a tag but I couldn't help myself. Now the waiting and hoping game begins
I think you will be very happy with that tag if you invest the time.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Good Luck (y)

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
PS, How was all of yours Moose Meat?
better than elk? worse?
I've heard mostly good things but saw 1 guy complaining his bull did not taste good....?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
PS, How was all of yours Moose Meat?
better than elk? worse?
I've heard mostly good things but saw 1 guy complaining his bull did not taste good....?
I have yet to have a bad one but one old cow a buddy shot was pretty tough. Her burger was amazing though. I like elk steak a little better but moose burger has the edge over elk burger for me.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Moose are like any animal. You will get a bad tasting one and the only way to tell is to eat it.

I have had great tasting 6 year old bull elk, and I have had horrible tasting 2 year old cows, you just never know.

But moose does taste better than elk overall in my opinion.

Reactions: HuskyMusky