Wyoming Lion Hunt

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
We have deep fried them like finger steaks before and it was good. It is similar to chicken, but does have its own flavor. I can’t remember if we fried steaks one time or if that was bear, either way it was good.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Sorry, but no report on the "chicken nuggets" 3 of us have been sledding into the hunting shack for an overnighter each week, but when I told the other guys that cat was on the menu, one of them balked and decided not to come. Two of us are game for it, so will just make a smaller batch as an appetizer. Luckily, my wife has no such reservations, so I think I will do a roast in the Instapot. Report & photos to follow.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I shot a javelina one year and decided to smoke it up and take it to a party that a friend was having. His mom who is from Arizona was there along with her daughter. They had been around javelina since they had gardens that they liked to dig up and leave their odor all over the place, they don't call them stink pigs for nothing.

When I placed the smoke meat on the table they all asked me what it was, I just told them that I'd tell them later. Towards the end of the meat on the platter they were almost fighting over the last few crumbs that were left. When I told all of them that it was javelina most of their faces turned to disbelief at what they had been eating. After that whenever we had a party everyone would ask if I was bringing more of it.

It just goes to show that if people would give it a chance just about any meat is very good and you don't have to hide the flavor with all kinds of sauces. It's about like the first time that I tried Rocky Mountain Oysters. I had no idea of what I was eating but they were quite good and I never miss the Rocky Mountain Oyster feast that is in the county every year.

Cats are the same way. From what I understand over in Africa cats are considered a delicacy and everyone enjoys the meat.

Reactions: RICMIC

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Well, my wife and I finally cooked up some of that lion, and you can find the full post on the "Cook-em-up thread." We made a roast in the Insta-Pot and tasted it before we had anything else. The verdict; it was 95% like pork, in appearance, texture, and taste. After putting the gravy on it I would be hard pressed to tell the difference from a good pork roast. Leftover went into the slow cooker crockpot to be used for shredded "pork" BBQ sandwiches.IMG_2012 (2).JPG

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
how did covid stop the sled trip? just curious.
congrats on the cat!
We were not stopped by any restrictions, but most of the older guys (including our professional chef) cancelled. Plus, the snow pack around West Yellowstone/Island Park was minimal for the mountain riding that the younger guys like to do. That has changed with some big snows a couple weeks ago, and 4 of the younger guys just made a Baja trip out there. I had just gotten back from the lion hunt/truck fiasco, and definitely was not on board for the alternate trip.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
We were not stopped by any restrictions, but most of the older guys (including our professional chef) cancelled. Plus, the snow pack around West Yellowstone/Island Park was minimal for the mountain riding that the younger guys like to do. That has changed with some big snows a couple weeks ago, and 4 of the younger guys just made a Baja trip out there. I had just gotten back from the lion hunt/truck fiasco, and definitely was not on board for the alternate trip.
The sledding just got good here, and i mean just got good. however the ice layer from early january is causing havoc on the avy side of things. I remote started one jan1. and kicked one off a couple of weeks ago. Defintaly the worst winter in years(no snow, opposite of what most want).

Reactions: RICMIC

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook