Wyoming bison

bullelk

Mar 1, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I’m thinking about applying for a buffalo hunt in the Jackson area. I know a little about the hunt, but would like to hear stories or tips from anyone who has experienced this hunt. Thanks.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A friend drew and he hired a guide. Once he shot his bison they tied it to some horse and dragged it to a area to process it. He used a 454 Causiul to shoot it

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Had a friend with the bull tag this year...He lives in Jackson, and has plenty of time. He ate his tag. That hunt has gotten worse and worse especially the past 5 years or so. They have learned to not come to the refuge until way late. This year, 0 cows were taken until the final week of January basically. and only a handful of bulls were taken in total. Unless you are going guided and can be in Jackson at a moments notice via a phone call when they move, it is not much of a hunt to partake in. My friend with the bull tag was absolutely disgusted by what he saw on the refuge in January. Guides herding buffalo towards their clients, and bullets flying over his head. I have a feeling something will change in the years to come with how the buffalo move now. The snow doesnt push them nearly like it use to.

bullelk

Mar 1, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Had a friend with the bull tag this year...He lives in Jackson, and has plenty of time. He ate his tag. That hunt has gotten worse and worse especially the past 5 years or so. They have learned to not come to the refuge until way late. This year, 0 cows were taken until the final week of January basically. and only a handful of bulls were taken in total. Unless you are going guided and can be in Jackson at a moments notice via a phone call when they move, it is not much of a hunt to partake in. My friend with the bull tag was absolutely disgusted by what he saw on the refuge in January. Guides herding buffalo towards their clients, and bullets flying over his head. I have a feeling something will change in the years to come with how the buffalo move now. The snow doesnt push them nearly like it use to.
Thank you for the info. I live2 hours from Jackson, but I don’t want to get into a war!

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Cow tags are very hard to fill as most all are taken on the National Elk Refuge and they have learned not to migrate there until very late .
I hear the quotas will be very close to the same as this year but those cow tags will need to be hunted hard and early on the forest.
We have 3 cows from the state hunt and I wouldn't apply for one again, bulls only.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I agree with this completely.
I applied for a tag last year and then received a letter from the WY Dept of Wildlife stating the bison have been moving so late that if I was successful in the drawing I might have to eat the tag.
It gave me the option of withdrawing my application … so I did.

Reactions: bullelk

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Heard the hunt has become tougher.... yet the outfitters still claim a 95% + success rate I read... so may consider getting a guide....

that bull tag keeps going up! $$$$

good luck!

Reactions: bullelk

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I would call the GW up there, Jon Stephens and talk about the bison hunting. He keeps tabs on them every year and is a wealth of knowledge on where they hang out and move around.