WY tag price increases :(

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Eventually non-residents will say no thanks... and then what? raise resident fees? I almost have to laugh at what's coming, if it were to raise resident prices to that of non-resident fees. But who really knows.

I'm just saying a non-res isn't going to pay 10k for an elk tag when resident pays $1k, ie if it got to that point.

I just think we're running closer and closer to the max non-res fees.

and if the end goal is simply more money $$, states might as well make everyone pay non-res fees.

think about it, 10% of the tags are non-res and generate the same as 100% of the residents tags. So mathematically, a state could double the non-res tags, and not sell 1 resident tag and generate the same INCOME!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
The non resident fees aren't anywhere near the price point where NR's refuse to pay. Hunting the west is becoming a rich man's sport like other's have said, and it'll only get worse. If I wasn't a resident, I'd be priced out too. Expensive hunting...it's the new normal.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Its all about priorities. We were moose hunting a couple weeks ago on the Greys River. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a camp along the river. Most of them had fancy trucks and trailers not to mention there were atv's and side by sides everywhere. Almost all the guys we talked to were non residents. Looked to me like the cheapest part of their hunts were the cost of their tags. Given the demand of a sought after resource, the G&F has a long way to go before they hit the breaking point. And when they change the tag allocation to 90/10, I'll gladly pay higher fees to help make up any loss in revenue.

Fish

Jul 8, 2011
WA State
Maybe I'll have better odds drawing a good deer tag in the special draw with my 6 points now that the special draw is more expensive.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Eventually non-residents will say no thanks... and then what? raise resident fees? I almost have to laugh at what's coming, if it were to raise resident prices to that of non-resident fees. But who really knows.

I'm just saying a non-res isn't going to pay 10k for an elk tag when resident pays $1k, ie if it got to that point.

I just think we're running closer and closer to the max non-res fees.

and if the end goal is simply more money $$, states might as well make everyone pay non-res fees.

think about it, 10% of the tags are non-res and generate the same as 100% of the residents tags. So mathematically, a state could double the non-res tags, and not sell 1 resident tag and generate the same INCOME!
I don't think we're anywhere close to the max fees that NRs will pay. A WY elk tag in many units is a bargain when compared to buying a landowner tag in a similar quality unit in New Mexico. I bet they could double the new 2018 prices and it still wouldn't completely stop point creep.

Spudman

Jun 12, 2017
Idaho
It's simple economics...supply and demand. And the reality is, everything we consume eventually goes up. Workers want better wages= higher cost for goods and services. Hunting is not exempt from this rule. Like it or not, it will continue. Everyone will have to make their own personal choice as to whether or not to participate.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
So , duh, you have to click the "License fee changes for 2018 " line to see the new fees. Sorry, the list on the page is this year's fees.