Wy SF0074

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Food for thought on the price of a license.
From CC's earlier thread where he stated the cost of a NR Wyoming Antelope license in 1980 was $100

The cost of a few common items then and now.

Average household income $19,170. Today $63,030 3.3 increase

Wyoming buck Antelope $100. Now $339 3.4 increase

Average cost of a new home $68,700. Today $248,000 3.6 increase

Average cost of a new truck $7,210. Today $45,000 6.2 increase

The average price increase today for tags is equal to most other things, except a truck and that's just a 1/2 ton not tricked out.
That also doesn't include the fact that alot of people have $50,000 worth of campers and atv/sxs they haul around now too!

What a couple hundred for a tag? Heck the gas alone to and from the hunting trip is easily a couple hundred.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Food for thought on the price of a license.
From CC's earlier thread where he stated the cost of a NR Wyoming Antelope license in 1980 was $100

The cost of a few common items then and now.

Average household income $19,170. Today $63,030 3.3 increase

Wyoming buck Antelope $100. Now $339 3.4 increase

Average cost of a new home $68,700. Today $248,000 3.6 increase

Average cost of a new truck $7,210. Today $45,000 6.2 increase

The average price increase today for tags is equal to most other things, except a truck and that's just a 1/2 ton not tricked out.
That also doesn't include the fact that alot of people have $50,000 worth of campers and atv/sxs they haul around now too!

What a couple hundred for a tag? Heck the gas alone to and from the hunting trip is easily a couple hundred.
For me, I'm not overly concerned about the price of the tag. If I can buy a $2k bow or a $1500 set of clothes, $60k truck, etc, I'm fine with a tag price. The math starts to not add though, when you get drastically decreased odds, and states taking 4+ months to decide whether or not you get a tag. If a guy is applying in 7-8 states a year, and laying out $2k or so in non refundable application fees, at what point does it just make sense to buy land owner tags annually, or book a guided hunt annually? Most of us out East can realistically only make one hunt a year.

Reactions: Alabama

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder how long it will take for WY to go to the 10% NR tags and bump the prices again. Some folks will quit the game but others will fill the spaces.

The price increase does have it's bit in the overall scheme if things. I spent $400 this year for a mule deer and got a nice one. Spending $550 is just not in the cards. I would spend that for an elk but do have a limit on that too and it is about $600. Once those thresholds are crossed, it is hard to justify the expense.

I think my $ meter is back in the 80s. Some stuff just seems excessively expensive and "everyone" else thinks it is a good purchase. I'm sitting there saying "I think it should cost about 1/3 or 1/2 that".

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
For me, I'm not overly concerned about the price of the tag. If I can buy a $2k bow or a $1500 set of clothes, $60k truck, etc, I'm fine with a tag price. The math starts to not add though, when you get drastically decreased odds, and states taking 4+ months to decide whether or not you get a tag. If a guy is applying in 7-8 states a year, and laying out $2k or so in non refundable application fees, at what point does it just make sense to buy land owner tags annually, or book a guided hunt annually? Most of us out East can realistically only make one hunt a year.
oh there is no doubt ,the cost of those tags are going to go up also.:D

folks will keep buying them also.

Reactions: DH56

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
oh there is no doubt ,the cost of those tags are going to go up also.:D

folks will keep buying them also.
Unfortunately, true. This just serves to make the number of hunters smaller and smaller. We are such a minority now, that I suspect that if Colorado had a referendum to ban all hunting along with their wolf reintroduction that it could pass. If not now, then in the not too distant future. Fake meat anyone?

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
"Fake meat anyone?" The new impossible burger? ;)

Unfortunately Tag prices will never get cheaper. We are headed to be like many European countries where down the road the ones that can afford to hunt, will do so. By that time in the near future, my hunting days will be over, as I retire soon and hope to enjoy until I can't anymore. The younger generations will have challenges we did not have in getting access, and being able to afford to do so. We are having trouble recruiting new hunters into our sport already.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Here is the break down money wise for Wy 2019 from USFWS
WY
Resident License, Tags Permits Stamps Non Resident License, Tags Permits Stamps
$6,554,885.00 $19,004,047.00

I do not think that report includes Preference Points.
If you look at the PP going into 2020 draw numbers it gives you the total number of persons at each point level. This allows you to know the total number of persons buying a point last year.
Antelope 90,300 @ $31
Deer 86,887 @ $41
Elk 103,528 @ $52
Sheep 10,694 @ $150
Moose 10,581 @ $150
No way to tell how many are youth points at a reduced cost of $10.00, But those numbers add up to a lot of dollars. I don't see how they could be included in the numbers listed on the report.

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
I believe the report covers license, tags, permits and stamps. I do not believe that points are factored in since that is not something factored in by the feds. Interesting thing is the ratio for wildlife dollars non resident to resident is 3 to 1. Non residents are footing 76% of the bill for wildlife management in Wyoming. Not saying that's a bad thing.

Reactions: AKaviator

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I believe the report covers license, tags, permits and stamps. I do not believe that points are factored in since that is not something factored in by the feds. Interesting thing is the ratio for wildlife dollars non resident to resident is 3 to 1. Non residents are footing 76% of the bill for wildlife management in Wyoming. Not saying that's a bad thing.
I agree. I have no problem paying more as a NR. Just think states with large amounts of federal land should not shut out NR hunters. My only problem with Wyoming is restriction of Wilderness areas.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
yell co ar hunter
you are not locked out of wyoming wilderness, you just can't hunt in it. you can still backpack, walk, run rivers ect, just not hunt.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun

NR provide 47% of the Game dept budget.

Reactions: JM77

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
yell co ar hunter
you are not locked out of wyoming wilderness, you just can't hunt in it. you can still backpack, walk, run rivers ect, just not hunt.
Almost correct. A nonresident can hunt the wilderness in Wyoming, just not big or trophy game.

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
Have to say the whole wilderness exclusion is pretty silly. My buddy and I did a guided archery elk hunt last year. One of the reasons being the area we wanted to hunt was in the cloud peak wilderness area. It was hysterical that one area we hunted a non resident could hunt with a guide and literally 200 yards away where "wilderness designation began" we needed a guide. Love Wyoming, just a but quirky.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
NR provide 47% of the Game dept budget.
You may have posted this stat as a negative based off the previous post, I can not refute it but am surprised it’s not actually higher.
But I will say based on your number that “the glass is half full” as Non residents pay nearly 50%. :sneaky:

Reactions: Prerylyon

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
License fees were 59% of the projected budget revenue for FY 2019, NR made up ~80% of that 59%. Fed money from PRDJ, etc made up 25%.
After SB0074 hit the forums many said nr were paying 80% of the budget. That 80% came from a published statement that said nr were paying 80% of the license revenue but many didn't catch the "license" revenue part; (Nonresident hunters receive approximately 20% of the licenses and provide 80% of the department's license fee funding. ) Additionally, nr receive ~17% of the Elk licenses and ~50% of the Antelope licenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerylyon