Wy SF0074

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I don't know how to post the link but... this bill looks like it could effect all of us non-residents. What say you?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I can tell you that this is a budget year so most SF are going no where, and a LOT of people are against the 30% NR tag allocation going to guided hunts only portion of this. This will get shot down so fast it won't be funny. Of all the things in the bill that i'd watch in future years to continue to be included in SF's is the reduction of NR tags to 10%, that has a really chance to go somewhere in future years.
I wouldn't put a second of worry on SF0094.

Reactions: GOSHENGRUNTER

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If the NR price increases are passed, I sure will be rethinking my Wyoming hunting in the future.
At some point in the near future, 3-6 years they will, and when they do they'll be in line with what other states currently sell their NR licenses for.
I'd be willing to bet they still sell every tag too

Reactions: Bonecollector

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I can't see this passing, but I do think additional price increases, and tag reductions down to 10% are coming. Guess we'll have to decide if Wyoming holding a couple grand for almost half the year for a less than 1% shot at an elk tag is worth it.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
What are all these states going to do when they reach the maximum tag price a hunter will pay...?
Have to actually budget/plan? raise resident tag fees?
I'd almost like to see all non-res band together and pick 1 state to not apply to, maybe rotate states each year... we could do it, still apply for points...

I seem to recall the stat is about 1/10th the number of residents is how many non-res generally apply, and that 10% generates the same $$$ as 100% of residents.

Ex., a bison tag of $5,000..., I believe a hunter can go hunt bison on a ranch for about that price...

Surely most resident tags could be increased... especially once in a lifetime type tags,

Honestly my plan is to draw/burn my points, and hunt elsewhere in the future where I still have other points.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I am not sure Wyoming could afford to reduce non-resident licenses to 10%. If they do they will see a huge loss in revenue. They will also see a complete loss of point sales. I spent $124.00 for points this year as I am sure thousands of non-residents did. That is a lot of free money for the wildlife agency. I would expect a massive increase in resident license and tag fees. The money has to come from somewhere.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The kicker is how many people who have just been buying points waiting for the perfect year. It really messes with projected odds when 50 new people with very high or max points decide to cash in on lesser units. But, they are a long ways in so they will pay the prices.

Reactions: AKaviator

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I am not sure Wyoming could afford to reduce non-resident licenses to 10%. If they do they will see a huge loss in revenue. They will also see a complete loss of point sales. I spent $124.00 for points this year as I am sure thousands of non-residents did. That is a lot of free money for the wildlife agency. I would expect a massive increase in resident license and tag fees. The money has to come from somewhere.
At first glance, the math didn't pass the eye test.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
The kicker is how many people who have just been buying points waiting for the perfect year. It really messes with projected odds when 50 new people with very high or max points decide to cash in on lesser units. But, they are a long ways in so they will pay the prices.
I'm in that boat with 12 points for deer and elk. I've applied for elk for the last several years, just haven't drawn it yet. I haven't tried for a deer tag yet but I buy points for when I can narrow down a good place and have the time to do it. It's hard to do much scouting in Wyoming when you live in Alaska.
It seems that most states are going this way and all the residents love it. Alaska too, and that's fine as long as everyone stays in their own state to hunt. I don't think the numbers of hunters will drop much if only the prices are raised, it just changes it to a bunch or wealthy hunters. The 10 percent cap will make a difference but sure ruins a lot of the guide industry and some of the local economies.
It's hard to watch from my perspective. Hunting is really getting to be a rich man's game, which I'm not. Lucky for me that living in Alaska I still have plenty of opportunities.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
non resident hunting opportunity is really starting to trend in the wrong direction. As more and more people move to the western states, those residents will want more opportunity to hunt their new home states.
something has to give.

I’ll keep applying in the states I currently apply for, including wyoming, but I won’t chase glory units, I’m drawing units I can draw, and going hunting.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I went back and looked SF0094 failed today by a 1 vote yes to 28 votes no. Even one of the sponsors of the bill voted it down.

Reactions: AKaviator

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
i would be amazed if a bill like this passes,,,but if it does,,ill write that state off my apps and spend my n r money elsewhere where im welcome.

Reactions: DH56

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I agree. WY doesn't have enough residents to purchase all the tags. Even if they did, they are sold so cheap the coffers would still be nearly empty. They are crying for money now, it'll only get worse.
But I do see price increases coming in the next 2-3 years as all states are raising them to a higher standard 'nationally' that they are still able to sell.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Just wait a tick....lets think about this.....

If you averaged the prices of the regular and special draw licenses wouldn't the prices fall in line with what other states are charging?

I mean lets be honest here if we are going to compare apples.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
raise prices , lower prices , either way they are gonna get sold .
there is no limit to what folks will pay to do the things they love. the demand is there. which means , raising the price is rational.

sure some few will stop buying ..... most won't.

If we ever enter a time when this is not so , cost of permits will be the least of all our worries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerylyon