WY Preference Point purchase- help for newb

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
I see the Wyoming Game & Fish Department Online Electronic Application Service is now open.

All I want to do is purchase a preference point for future use, but I don't see this feature there- only purchasing tags seems to be open.

I'm a newb- what am I missing?

Thanks- Toadmeister

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
EDIT- OK, I found my answer after downloading APPLICATION DATES AND DEADLINES

Nonresident Application Deadlines:
Preference Point Only July 1 – Oct. 31

I guess I just need to hold my horses until Summer :)

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
You can get a preference point early by applying for a tag (that you don't get), then the state will refund you minus the app. fee and the pref. point cost if you had wanted one. I just buy points later in the year...it's really simple doing it that way. Just don't let it get away from you and forget about it. It's a good idea to work on some hunting partners to start buying points at the same time. You buy your points individually, but you can pool your points for a group hunt in WY, and someone else can sure drag you down because they want to jump in late.
I only play the points game in CO and WY, and they are completely different. They do a good explanation in the MRS, but it is easy to get overwhelmed when just starting out. Good luck.

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Yes- overwelming for someone new. I do have the MRS and am just starting to read it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Good advice here. It's tough finding hunt partners and when you do find someone interested, they have zero points or maybe 1.
This is my dilemma this year on selecting a WY antelope hunt. My hunt bud has 1 and I have 4. I am not going to lose the points as I have been saving for a good area. Now I have the issue of attempting to select a drawable, huntable, second choice hunt. lol

You can get a preference point early by applying for a tag (that you don't get), then the state will refund you minus the app. fee and the pref. point cost if you had wanted one. I just buy points later in the year...it's really simple doing it that way. Just don't let it get away from you and forget about it. It's a good idea to work on some hunting partners to start buying points at the same time. You buy your points individually, but you can pool your points for a group hunt in WY, and someone else can sure drag you down because they want to jump in late.
I only play the points game in CO and WY, and they are completely different. They do a good explanation in the MRS, but it is easy to get overwhelmed when just starting out. Good luck.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Bonecollector,

Perfect situation to make two hunts! Find an area he can draw with one and you buy doe tags to go hunt with him. Then he does the same later when you draw. More trips to Wyoming is always better...

Toad- That is good advice about trying to find like minded people to buy points with. But even if you don't, still buy the points and do what I recommended to bone later. Jump in head first- your buddies will eventually follow.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Bonecollector,

Perfect situation to make two hunts! Find an area he can draw with one and you buy doe tags to go hunt with him. Then he does the same later when you draw. More trips to Wyoming is always better...

Toad- That is good advice about trying to find like minded people to buy points with. But even if you don't, still buy the points and do what I recommended to bone later. Jump in head first- your buddies will eventually follow.
Just be mindful that you can't put in as a group if you don't all get the same sex tags. Meaning you guys would all have to put in for buck tags or all doe tags if applying as a group.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Buckbull,
True,,,,and WY is a long way to drive to watch my buddy shoot an small/average lope and drive home. I'm all for going hunting, but this will be no trophy hunt and most of the challenge will lie in beating traffic on I-70 and avoiding private property once there. lol
I at least want a guaranteed opportunity to shoot something after all that. :)
If it were an trophy unit, I'd be all in if only to glass-n-pack!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Buckbull,
True,,,,and WY is a long way to drive to watch my buddy shoot an small/average lope and drive home. I'm all for going hunting, but this will be no trophy hunt and most of the challenge will lie in beating traffic on I-70 and avoiding private property once there. lol
I at least want a guaranteed opportunity to shoot something after all that. :)
If it were an trophy unit, I'd be all in if only to glass-n-pack!
I know where you are coming from, most of the better hunts we go on are 1000-1500 miles away and consume 7 to 14 days. I pick my hunts carefully.