WY 57 or 64 lope 9 points

Rodzilla

Jan 5, 2013
Northern CA
Hi folks, I got skunked in UT and NV, so thinking of cashing out my 9 Antelope points. I'm leaning towards unit 64 more because I've always wanted to hunt there, although I'm putting some major consideration on 57. My best antelope to date scores 81 and change but I'd be happy with anything over 78 inches, more looking for a fun , low pressure hunt with a chance at a trophy. Anyone have any advice or think I should consider other units? Also have 9 deer points but I'm sitting in those for now.

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
I'm sure you know this but 57 with 9 points is not a guarantee. I have hunted 57 and killed a Booner. 64 has a pretty high Hunter density and they have not added tags. 57 has had some tags added so I'm sure the numbers are better. Historically speaking 57 is much better than 64. The difference is 64 you hunt this year and 57 you may not.

Rich

nunt'nbutmuleys

Feb 25, 2011
57 was 100% last year in both reg and special with 9 points. Then at 8 was down into low 20% range. Dosnt mean that it will be that this year but I say it's worth a try I'd go 57 over 64 but good goats to be had in both areas. Good Luck in the draws!

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
57 was 100% last year in both reg and special with 9 points. Then at 8 was down into low 20% range. Dosnt mean that it will be that this year but I say it's worth a try I'd go 57 over 64 but good goats to be had in both areas. Good Luck in the draws!
That means that with 10 this year it will be 100 percent and some with 9 will draw if the trend follows. Max points have not topped out and you have to look at it differently. Who drew last year at a certain point total is irrelevant until all the max point guys are gone. You will be drawing on the one under max pool which was in the low 20 percent last year. I would also say that 57 has had the most press/talk over the winter.

Rich

Rodzilla

Jan 5, 2013
Northern CA
That means that with 10 this year it will be 100 percent and some with 9 will draw if the trend follows. Max points have not topped out and you have to look at it differently. Who drew last year at a certain point total is irrelevant until all the max point guys are gone. You will be drawing on the one under max pool which was in the low 20 percent last year. I would also say that 57 has had the most press/talk over the winter.

Rich
Those are very good points, did not think about it that way. It's a bummer being 1 point under max, seems that in always out of the top units (same situation with deer having 9 points). I am seeing a lot of press on 57, so I'm thinking odds for it will decrease significantly , on the flip side I'm seeing negative to no comments on 64 (so should be able to get a tag for 64), Since a really want to hunt I may bite the bullet and go 64 and just have a fun hunt (should be low hunter density towards mid to end if the season). Thanks again everyone, if I draw I'll be sure to post pictures along with a story of the hunt. If anyone hunted it in the past, would love to hear about your hunt. Here is a pic from my hunt in border unit back in 2009, have to love them lope hunts.

Last edited:

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
I hunted 64 three years ago, and it was alot of fun. I killed a nice buck but I'm sure I could have done better. We didn't cover a ton of ground, because as usual we got nervous and shot early. That being said, we didn't see any giants or many other hunters.

nunt'nbutmuleys

Feb 25, 2011
Looks like he should have drawn with 9 points if he went special draw if he went regular looks like slim chance or even a chance in random!!

Rodzilla

Jan 5, 2013
Northern CA
Looks like he should have drawn with 9 points if he went special draw if he went regular looks like slim chance or even a chance in random!!
I thought that the jump in tags would get me better odds with 9 points regular, appears that the unit got a little more demand so I did not draw. Bummed, but there is always next year and then the decision of what to do with 10 points.